• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats a good normal oil pressure for a 440

You have deep sump?
:xscuseless:

I would say no a melling hv is a good pump and its the spring you do for the pressure.

Whatever floats your boat bud. But putting in a lighter spring on a HV pump just recirculates the oil and heats it up. You're still wasting HP and putting added stress on the shaft and gear by moving unnecessary volume. Why do that when the smaller pump will do the job. But hey, knock yourself out!

Deep sump is irrelevant at this point in the discussion BUT will have a major impact if using a HV pump at high rpm. Anything less than 7 quarts at above 5000 for a 1/4 mile and he'll drain the pan dry.

I like 25 at a warm idle, and 45-50 down the road after it reaches relief spring setting. My bracket engines run more.
My diesel pickup and my diesel box truck run down the freeway at 65-70 lbs. My ex girlfriend's Toyota corolla had 10 at idle, and 25 at freeway speed, brand new. (Guess that's why they quit putting oil pressure gauges in em). Both have gone a lotta miles.

Last edited:
so is 75 too much?
I like 75 going down track in a drag motor, but I do have a deep seven quart pan and hv pump. 75 is more than enough for a street car, probably a little too much. My definition of TOO much pressure? When you whack the throttle on a cold motor with no choke..... and you peg a 100 lb gauge, and blow the oil filter off the motor. Ask me how I know.......

To me, choice of pump volume and pressure is determined by lower end clearances. 2 and 2 (or less), stock pump. Worn out stock, maybe a normal pressure/high volume. 3 and 3, and needing a good supply of oil in the top end for high spring pressures, hv/hp all the way, (with a good oil pan too, of course. )
Too much lower end clearance, no pump will give decent pressure.

I'm no physicist, but every vehicle I have runs about 30-40 warm at cruising speeds. Cummins diesel, air cooled 750 4 cylinder, 1250 V-twin, 1400 liquid cooled 4 cylinder, 496 V8, 350 V8, only 1 exception, 4 valve 4.6 V8 turbo jet boat, it is "Always" under load n cruising at 4k+ rpm, it runs 60-70 warm at 4k, but when I idle through no-wake zone it goes down to 15-20psi. There is absolutely no need for anything over 40 cruising. Pressure means there's oil and tolerances aren't too loose for the most part. Everyone's fascination w "hi volume" "hi pressure" in a "hi performance" engine.

If you have sufficient pressure with a stock pump, going to a HV will yield nothing other than putting a strain on the pump drive shaft and gear and using up horsepower.

I've been reading things like this online for awhile after putting my 440 together with a HV oil pump and feeling like I made a mistake and did something that left all kinds of horsepower on the table.

The I watched the latest episode of Engine Masters where they took a 440 and dyno tested it with a stock pump, a high volume pump, and a high pressure pump. They found no real difference in horsepower between the three different pumps. Maybe one horsepower difference between all three pumps if that. They tested each for flow and pressure throughout the dyno pulls. They (Brule, Freiburger, Dulcich) all agreed they would run the HV pump knowing what they just learned from the test.

Run what you need. I would not run a HV pump until I determined that the std volume pump would not maintain idle oil pressure at of above 15 psi.

My last two motors have std volume pumps with high pressure springs. idle about 20 psi, off idle and cruise is about 40, about 70 WOT. Both motors have full time rocker oiling. Use 10w30 synthetic.

I suspect the lifter clearance, which you normally don't have control over, will have a bigger impact on idle oil pressure than just about anything else.

To me, choice of pump volume and pressure is determined by lower end clearances. 2 and 2 (or less), stock pump. Worn out stock, maybe a normal pressure/high volume. 3 and 3, and needing a good supply of oil in the top end for high spring pressures, hv/hp all the way, (with a good oil pan too, of course. )
Too much lower end clearance, no pump will give decent pressure.
Less than .oo2

Run what you need. I would not run a HV pump until I determined that the std volume pump would not maintain idle oil pressure at of above 15 psi.

My last two motors have std volume pumps with high pressure springs. idle about 20 psi, off idle and cruise is about 40, about 70 WOT. Both motors have full time rocker oiling. Use 10w30 synthetic.

I suspect the lifter clearance, which you normally don't have control over, will have a bigger impact on idle oil pressure than just about anything else.
This is going to be fun for me now .

I'm no physicist, but every vehicle I have runs about 30-40 warm at cruising speeds. Cummins diesel, air cooled 750 4 cylinder, 1250 V-twin, 1400 liquid cooled 4 cylinder, 496 V8, 350 V8, only 1 exception, 4 valve 4.6 V8 turbo jet boat, it is "Always" under load n cruising at 4k+ rpm, it runs 60-70 warm at 4k, but when I idle through no-wake zone it goes down to 15-20psi. There is absolutely no need for anything over 40 cruising. Pressure means there's oil and tolerances aren't too loose for the most part. Everyone's fascination w "hi volume" "hi pressure" in a "hi performance" engine.
So is oil pressure a bad thing at idel most say 20 should be a low ball

Its just my thing to figure out man it may work or it will not.

There is an adjustable pressure device, made my milodon i think, that replaces the plug that holds the relief spring on a big block pump. It will NOT adjust idle pressure, (unless you have too much, which is highly unlikely) but it will allow you to adjust going-down-the-road pressure to what you want. Basically its just a movable stop for the relief spring, held in place with a locknut.
If you use one, be careful that you dont set it too tight. Remember how i defined too much pressure? An oops with the adjustment clarified what too much pressure is.

There is an adjustable pressure device, made my milodon i think, that replaces the plug that holds the relief spring on a big block pump. It will NOT adjust idle pressure, (unless you have too much, which is highly unlikely) but it will allow you to adjust going-down-the-road pressure to what you want. Basically its just a movable stop for the relief spring, held in place with a locknut.
If you use one, be careful that you dont set it too tight. Remember how i defined too much pressure? An oops with the adjustment clarified what too much pressure is.
Old hydraulic things thank you as always.

Remember some of us re define in time if that make sense to you but thank you very much>

Auto Transport Service
Back