• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats a good normal oil pressure for a 440

There is an adjustable pressure device, made my milodon i think, that replaces the plug that holds the relief spring on a big block pump. It will NOT adjust idle pressure, (unless you have too much, which is highly unlikely) but it will allow you to adjust going-down-the-road pressure to what you want. Basically its just a movable stop for the relief spring, held in place with a locknut.
If you use one, be careful that you dont set it too tight. Remember how i defined too much pressure? An oops with the adjustment clarified what too much pressure is.

Some folks will shim their spring to increase pressure. This can be a problem for the same reason. The spring in mine will go solid with about a 0.060 shim at full relief valve opening. Said differently, if you shim it more than 0.060, you will not get full relief. Of course, you might not need full relief, but you need to know this going in.

I think the “more is better” bug has caught on with car guys that don’t have much automotive background on what’s really going on with these systems.

oil pumps
Hi flow Water pumps And thermostats
Hi pressure Fuel pumps
Hi amp alternators

they just want more. They learn about the fuel pressure real quick when the fuel is going by the needle and seat and there is black smoke clouding out the back of the car and the once crisp engine idle is now choppy and lazy and the car is hard to start on fouled plugs. So they concede and back pedal on that one but keep on with the 90 psi oil pressure like it’s a great improvement.

the factory red spring was 45psi (majority of wedges), factory black (street hemi) was 65psi, plain spring (early race hemi) was 75psi, aftermarket HV/HP are 75+psi. currently i use standard pumps with aftermarket standard relief springs; psi varies between 45-55 with 10-30 oils. i don't do high pressure anymore because it eats up the intermediate shaft bushings and for the most part is unnecessary. pressure indicates resistance to flow, not flow.

Look up dyno pulls. Engines built at different shops. Almost always around the same pressure.

Love it doing straight 30 I am impressed you know the rules.
Why are you impressed? You ask a question without any parameters. I've got 23yrs working on turbine engines and gearboxes, have built 11 V-twin engines, 3 inline 4's, and 6 V8's. I may get disciplined for this, but please stop posting things just to get a post count or to make yourself appear intelligent. You asked a question that obviously you didn't know and then say you're surprised I know the rule. As a side note, words and punctuation have different meanings when placed in a different order or are omitted.

My 16 Liter, 605HP, 2250TQ Cummins is 39-41 PSI max, and 18-20 PSI at idle. Both of my 440's idle around 30-35 PSI and are between 55-60 PSI at WOT. I would worry about over 75 PSI almost as much as I would worry about 0 PSI.

From the '69 FSM-

383 - 440
upload_2021-10-1_18-4-7.png

426 Hemi
upload_2021-10-1_18-6-45.png

You need pressure to keep adequate flow past the bearing. As stated earlier, pressure is a measurement of resistance to flow. Pressure relief, oil viscosity, oil temp, and clearances/internal leakage all play a part in the gauge reading. I'd rather have the clearance on the loose side, thin oil, and a pump capable of adequate flow for reasonable pressure at high rpm. In my case 65 psi@7300.
Doug

You need pressure to keep adequate flow past the bearing. As stated earlier, pressure is a measurement of resistance to flow. Pressure relief, oil viscosity, oil temp, and clearances/internal leakage all play a part in the gauge reading. I'd rather have the clearance on the loose side, thin oil, and a pump capable of adequate flow for reasonable pressure at high rpm. In my case 65 psi@7300.
Doug
im with Doug . My 505 , World block , at full temp is 18psi@900 . At 1000 its 30psi . Driving freeway its 38-40 . Down track its 60-65 @ 6700 . When its cold its 70-72psi @ start up . Thats with either Royal Purple or Penn Grade/Brad penn 20/50 , K&N or Wix race filter . Mellings HVolume pump
If your clearance is a little loose noone knows , if its a bit tight everyone will
:D

Tex

This one hit 75 after a few turns.
my 440 runs 65-75 psi on the highway . now i replaced the pump the oem one was toast . then a yr latter when i had yo rebuild the motor i put a new mopar one in just to make sure (i didn't want any oil starvation issues & the new pump wasnt that high . the rest of yhe parts with exemption of the cam was all premium parts from summit&jegs

I like 25 at a warm idle, and 45-50 down the road after it reaches relief spring setting. My bracket engines run more.
My diesel pickup and my diesel box truck run down the freeway at 65-70 lbs. My ex girlfriend's Toyota corolla had 10 at idle, and 25 at freeway speed, brand new. (Guess that's why they quit putting oil pressure gauges in em). Both have gone a lotta miles.
Girlfriend too?

My 440 runs 10w50 oil. Has a HV oil pump. When cold oil pressure is 65. When hot, oil pressure is 10. When freeway running its 50. The 10 seems low to me but it keeps running.

4893D010-7193-42C0-ADBB-2730F7D51922.jpeg

My 16 Liter, 605HP, 2250TQ Cummins is 39-41 PSI max, and 18-20 PSI at idle. Both of my 440's idle around 30-35 PSI and are between 55-60 PSI at WOT. I would worry about over 75 PSI almost as much as I would worry about 0 PSI.
The 75 was priming it up with a cordless drill just did it for a min getting ready for break in. Will let you know how she does when warmed up and running I would be totally happy around 20 idel hot and 50 or 60 wot thank you.

Why are you impressed? You ask a question without any parameters. I've got 23yrs working on turbine engines and gearboxes, have built 11 V-twin engines, 3 inline 4's, and 6 V8's. I may get disciplined for this, but please stop posting things just to get a post count or to make yourself appear intelligent. You asked a question that obviously you didn't know and then say you're surprised I know the rule. As a side note, words and punctuation have different meanings when placed in a different order or are omitted.
Just a side note then I built this motor 15 years ago and have finally found the car it needs to be in. Don't care about the post count or much else it was just really nice to see good oil pressure. I know this car is going to be for my kids and grandkids. My health is not good and my biggest thing would to be to kick the bucket before I drive this so sorry if there are too many. This Charger and my 440 are a big thing that keeps me going every day. Thank you.

I think the “more is better” bug has caught on with car guys that don’t have much automotive background on what’s really going on with these systems.

oil pumps
Hi flow Water pumps And thermostats
Hi pressure Fuel pumps
Hi amp alternators

they just want more. They learn about the fuel pressure real quick when the fuel is going by the needle and seat and there is black smoke clouding out the back of the car and the once crisp engine idle is now choppy and lazy and the car is hard to start on fouled plugs. So they concede and back pedal on that one but keep on with the 90 psi oil pressure like it’s a great improvement.
That seems like a thing more is not always better but then there are a lot that factory is the only way. There is mid ground hopefully for all.

When I was testing my mechanical tachs, I found that my 1/2" drill motor peaked at about 2500 rpm. So, well above idle speed for a 440. My guess is your 75 lbs cold with a drill motor is probably equivalent to going down the freeway with a stone cold engine.
What I'm trying to say is that you will probably have a bit (or more than a bit) less pressure once it's in the car, and warmed up.
Get it in the car, get it running, see what you have....... and then deal with it if it's not what you want. The blessing of a big block Mopar is the pump on the outside, not inside the oil pan.

When I was testing my mechanical tachs, I found that my 1/2" drill motor peaked at about 2500 rpm. So, well above idle speed for a 440. My guess is your 75 lbs cold with a drill motor is probably equivalent to going down the freeway with a stone cold engine.
What I'm trying to say is that you will probably have a bit (or more than a bit) less pressure once it's in the car, and warmed up.
Get it in the car, get it running, see what you have....... and then deal with it if it's not what you want. The blessing of a big block Mopar is the pump on the outside, not inside the oil pan.
Very true had mine on low gear 1200 and the cam is half the speed of the crank not sure if the cam gear has a reduction also only did maybe 500 on the oil pump.

Cordless drill btw now just have to do breakin and fire her up its a tough deal now. She got her second bullshit shot covid china virus and now heart problems.

Auto Transport Service
Back