• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats a good normal oil pressure for a 440

I think the “more is better” bug has caught on with car guys that don’t have much automotive background on what’s really going on with these systems.

oil pumps
Hi flow Water pumps And thermostats
Hi pressure Fuel pumps
Hi amp alternators

they just want more. They learn about the fuel pressure real quick when the fuel is going by the needle and seat and there is black smoke clouding out the back of the car and the once crisp engine idle is now choppy and lazy and the car is hard to start on fouled plugs. So they concede and back pedal on that one but keep on with the 90 psi oil pressure like it’s a great improvement.
100% agree^^^

When I was testing my mechanical tachs, I found that my 1/2" drill motor peaked at about 2500 rpm. So, well above idle speed for a 440. My guess is your 75 lbs cold with a drill motor is probably equivalent to going down the freeway with a stone cold engine.
What I'm trying to say is that you will probably have a bit (or more than a bit) less pressure once it's in the car, and warmed up.
Get it in the car, get it running, see what you have....... and then deal with it if it's not what you want. The blessing of a big block Mopar is the pump on the outside, not inside the oil pan.
Another nonsense thread by the same character :lol:
And you are an all seeing good soul not.

Auto Transport Service
Back