• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Torsion Bars

1970GTX

Local time
6:10 AM
Reaction score
I am upgrading the front end on my '70 GTX 440 automatic. I have added boxed LCAs, PST's 11/16" tie rod ends and solid sleeves, going to be getting a Firm Feel stage II steering box with fast ratio Pitman and Idler arm as well. I was planning on going to MP .960 Torsion bars. Do you think I'll be happy with these bars? Or should I go bigger?

I drove a buddies car with 1.06" bars and it wasn't bad at all ride wise. I'm going with I think .940" on my 69 RR but may upgrade to the 1.06". Another buddy has the fast ratio steering parts on his car and the first time I drove it I was hooked. Sounds like we will have the same setup so I guess we can compare notes later.

I like the 0.960" bars, have them on my '71 Charger and my '69 Coronet. The '71 has the PST polybushings and roll bars, the '69 still has the rubber bushings and stock sway bar.

I like the 0.960" bars, have them on my '71 Charger and my '69 Coronet. The '71 has the PST polybushings and roll bars, the '69 still has the rubber bushings and stock sway bar.
Are they big block cars?

- - - Updated - - -

I drove a buddies car with 1.06" bars and it wasn't bad at all ride wise. I'm going with I think .940" on my 69 RR but may upgrade to the 1.06". Another buddy has the fast ratio steering parts on his car and the first time I drove it I was hooked. Sounds like we will have the same setup so I guess we can compare notes later.
Thanks Meep. Did your buddy's car have a stage II box in it? Or just the fast ratio parts? Ya my car is done until spring now. It's gonna be a long winter waiting until I can road test my upgrades.

Are they big block cars?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Meep. Did your buddy's car have a stage II box in it? Or just the fast ratio parts? Ya my car is done until spring now. It's gonna be a long winter waiting until I can road test my upgrades.

I don't recall, but he's a member here. DPStark has the 1.06 bars and 68 Sport Satellite has the fast ratio stuff. I think 68 has the stage II box. I got the stage II mod done as well but haven't tried it yet. My project is moving at a snail's pace and I'm wondering if I'll ever finish it!!!

Yeah, I have the stage 2 box from Firm Feel, tubular UCAs, 1.06" t-bars, XHD rear leafs... no fast ratio steering, unfortunately. I like the way it handles. And my car is looooowwww so I appreciate the stiffness with speed bumps and driveways.

A friend has to two A-bodies set up exactly the same, except one has Bilsteins- that's my next suspension upgrade for the Charger. I have a set for my Dart, and they are way stiffer than the KYBs I put on the Charger.

Yeah, I have the stage 2 box from Firm Feel, tubular UCAs, 1.06" t-bars, XHD rear leafs... no fast ratio steering, unfortunately. I like the way it handles. And my car is looooowwww so I appreciate the stiffness with speed bumps and driveways.

A friend has to two A-bodies set up exactly the same, except one has Bilsteins- that's my next suspension upgrade for the Charger. I have a set for my Dart, and they are way stiffer than the KYBs I put on the Charger.
Thanks, are your 1.06 bars from Firm Feel? I'll probably put bilsteins into next winters budget. Thanks again.

Yes, they are FF bars. Others have used other brands with varying success. I can't vouch for anyone else, but I will say FF has been great to deal with for my more recent A-body project.

I have 1.06" FirmFeel bars on my '69 roadrunner and don't find it at all harsh. It's a big block car (hemi).

Auto Transport Service
Back