• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who’s doing what in the off-season.

Ha that's weird. We're doing the same thing.

So which brother is the racecar builder?

Ha that's weird. We're doing the same thing.

So which brother is the racecar builder?
Lol. I happen to be a twin. But I have been working more on the car body and transmission, my brother has been working on this engine and a 542 for another car. Both are nearly finished. I about have two transmissions done...both 727s w trans brakes. The bee is going to be in street trim other then the roll bar, 4.88s and useless loose convertor on the street... maybe nostalgia superstock eventually.
Not too lofty on our goals looking to run mid 10's, 6.50 ish 1/8.

Last edited:
Lol. I happen to be a twin. But I have been working more on the car body and transmission, my brother has been working on this engine and a 542 for another car. Both are nearly finished. I about have two transmissions done...both 727s w trans brakes. The bee is going to be in street trim other then the roll bar, 4.88s and useless loose convertor on the street... maybe nostalgia superstock eventually.
Rather then cutting up a car too much...I would rather make more power. Not too lofty on our goals looking to run mid 10's, 6.50 ish 1/8.
I'm hoping on a mid 10 too. 440". Car is built ( but put in Dana and caltracs) just finish building engine).
67 charger bracket car.

Looks good. unless it's 1/8 mile 4.88 is way to much gear. Might not really even need a 4.56.
Doug

Local tracks are 1/8 mile. I29 dragway and Osborn, MO. Rear end we are narrowing already had 4.88s. Next step up likely 4.56 w our spool. Could change spools though. Our converter is a older turbo action 9" j converter that isnt very efficient.... Always seemed like our tach readings were high for the traps speeds we ran. I think it would be time to upgrade the convertor if we geared it higher as well. I actually never liked 4.88s for 1/8 mile either, didn't seem deep enough.

If we get back to bracket racing 1/4 mile again...it would be heartland park topeka, kearney, NE and Great Bend,Ks.. The evening racing seems to be common at 1/8 mile tracks...and a good fit for us. Being gone all day it's harder to take time for more then a couple events a year. But taking time off for a mopar event would be fun. Topeka is a awesome track to race at.
We have a 46' triple axle with living quarters up front. I'd love to get up north to a few races in michigan and the monster mopar event.....but My dodge diesel is getting some miles on it, and new diesels are not in the budget. Possibly have to dedicate a semi for such trips.

Last edited:
I'd love to get up north to a few races in michigan and thr monster mopar event.....but My dodge diesel is getting some miles on it, and new diesels are not in the budget. Possibly have to dedicate a semi for such trips.
95 Cummins, camper, and a 33ft steel trailer.
Doug

20210721_130833.jpg

We have a 97 3500 cummins 5 speed and it may still be running after the apocalypse.Lol

I have been using my 07 2500 megacab w 6.7, but it only has single wheels. Handles it fine since living quarters are in the front, car sits on the trailer axles...but dual wheels would be nice

Screenshot_20230216_114530_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20230216_114625_Photos.jpg

Made these aluminum seat brackets. Each seat weighs 21lbs complete with brackets. The heavy cluster was replaced with 1/8" aluminum to house the gauges. Nothing else mounted to the dash except the shifter and a few original switchs which control tach record, horn, gauge selection.
Doug

I2.jpg

I13.jpg

I15.jpg

I36.JPG

Looks great. I love it looking like it could've been born that way. We are trying to decide what to do for front seats. Our superbee had a bench that I bought a new cover for...I know guys have used bench seats in race cars, but I don't know if there is enough support for me. I like the headrests you run. I have them saved on my phone for ideas. But, leaning towards buying racing seats... I guess. Not really the look I want.

Last edited:
Yesterday's project. Yesterday drove a 318/727/drum brake/ worn suspension/ bent strut rod into the shop. Pic is at the end of the day. Had to heat a drill every cotter pin. Will leave with a 440, 727, front suspension repaired, straightened strut rods, disc brakes.

20230220_190717.jpg

Pulled the Moser diff cover off and did an inspection on things. All looks excellent, bolt torque all good and back together. When tightening the bearing cap bolt support to 60” lbs, I barely got it snugged up and the Allen head snapped off. What the hell. Attempt to torque the other one, same thing. Some pics.

The circled area, both Allen heads snapped off the end of the bolts with barely any force. Bugger
52E8B5FE-3E60-41DE-84C4-0A9DFE7C6D6A.jpeg

Both Allen heads snapped off the ends. And on the end is left hand thread for the pads. The one of top is my plan for a fix.
B6683C35-89E2-4A56-9147-32EAAA18A860.jpeg

1/2” UNC. The new lathe is already paying for itself. I don’t have an indexing rotary table yet, I could have used one for this project.
77AD2A35-2F47-433E-8BFA-10567EAA116F.jpeg

Back together. Sure overkill for 5’ lbs torque. (60”lbs). Next time apart I’ll machine hex ends onto the new home built bolts.
73F40E56-1AF8-47CE-B70B-0B73BF68775C.jpeg

Simple little addition. Aluminum throttle spring hook. Secures on the plenum stud. Doesn’t get much simpler than that. Might have to drill some holes in it to reduce weight..
58B3732D-64B4-4AB6-AB87-B07F7518B3B8.jpeg

A6D2FD8A-E579-4AF4-A803-7DF1026A9382.jpeg

Last edited:
Pulled the Moser diff cover off and did an inspection on things. All looks excellent, bolt torque all good and back together. When tightening the bearing cap bolt support to 60” lbs, I barely got it snugged up and the Allen head snapped off. What the hell. Attempt to torque the other one, same thing. Some pics.

The circled area, both Allen heads snapped off the end of the bolts with barely any force. Bugger
View attachment 1429342

Both Allen heads snapped off the ends. And on the end is left hand thread for the pads. The one of top is my plan for a fix.
View attachment 1429346

1/2” UNC. The new lathe is already paying for itself. I don’t have an indexing rotary table yet, I could have used one for this project.
View attachment 1429344

Back together. Sure overkill for 5’ lbs torque. (60”lbs). Next time apart I’ll machine hex ends onto the new home built bolts.
View attachment 1429345

Simple little addition. Aluminum throttle spring hook. Secures on the plenum stud. Doesn’t get much simpler than that. Might have to drill some holes in it to reduce weight..
View attachment 1429359
Great work as usual Doug. when did you go single 4?

If these posts are addressed to me I am not running a single 4.
Doug

Loads of room to get at the starter but adjusting valves could have a few tight/ hot spots. .
Sort of reminds me of my grandson. Bought a truck. Soon as he got it home he cut the damn muffler off.
they are just for cam break in..sure is easy to get to the spark plugs though

tuning on my max wedge today running modified holley race hemi 4235-36 carbs.
these things really woke this motor up ! no hesitation anywhere. it wants to wind!
found that adjusting both the primary and secondary idle screws u can move the AFR around, adjusting only the primarys the afr was 12ish, by tuning with both i raised it up to 17-18 and then brought it down to 13.5-14.8 by tuning with the secondary screws. no puddling on idle now and the idle air screws became sensitive..it also doesnt like higher float levels, drop them below the hole and cleaned it up. some more to go but its real close.

IMG_1102.JPG

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back