• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winter Project - ‘69 GTX Engine Compartment Rehab

After correcting compound

image.jpg

Done for the day, all of the horizontal surfaces are compounded, polished and treated to a coat of sealer/glaze. The sides of the GTX will get the same treatment…

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

More of the same today, I’ going to work one panel at a time…
image.jpg

I got several scratches and a ton of swirling out of the fender, the wheel well moldings are removed to get old wax and dirt from behind them.

I broke down and ordered new OER wheel opening moldings last night. The originals are so beat I doubt they could be salvaged…

Cold and rainy here, the upside is that the chlorides dumped on the roads for the past 5 months are washing off the roads. It also means that I don't have to do yard clean up this weekend so I should get in some quality garage time. Garage goal for this weekend is to finish up the paint correction, polish and glaze on the passenger side. The glaze is supposed to have anti-static properties to repel dust. Surprisingly, it seems to be working. I'll give the whole thing a thorough wipe down and finish with a good coat of wax. Sunday I can knock out the glass and chrome.

F9833FAE-26C4-4F02-8D6D-E2A4DE2F2813.jpeg

The most recent tracking info on the wheel well moldings showed them in Illinois at 8:30 am, maybe I'll see them this weekend. That would be cool...

Last edited:
Buff off the glaze when it hazes over and the resulting shine is amazing…

34AF6433-4C26-4B0D-930E-80AD746BCB0E.jpeg

Wax is next

Freshly waxed, I’m going to go over it one more time with Meguiar’s quick detailer and call it good. Tomorrow will be glass and chrome…
image.jpg

image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back