• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winter Project - ‘69 GTX Engine Compartment Rehab

I decided to leave the GTX on jackstands until I make a new positive cable and get it installed. I’m going to upsize the main cable from #6 to #4, the one I am replacing was #1 cable which is overkill. The secondary cable that runs to the starter relay will be the next size larger as well.

Too bad nobody offers a direct fit cable for mini-starters…
image.jpg

Almost done with the positive cable, I still have to come up with a spade terminal for one of the starter relay connections.

50CF76D8-6E10-4666-B2AA-E044DE9E775A.jpeg

Tonight I finally got the positive cable finished up. The starter had to be unbolted from the block in order to get the cable ends on the terminals and tighten the nuts. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out…

5BFA667D-57F0-4192-AAF0-FF7D9556F9C2.jpeg

Garage goals for the weekend;

Battery ground cable. I grabbed one with a secondary lead which will be wired directly to the body as an extra pathway for body ground. I should probably charge the battery too.

image.jpg

Once it’s installed I can check electrical system, everything from the firewall forward has been reworked or replaced. Hopefully the smoke won’t escape the wires.

But wait, there’s more…
Wipe all the greasy hand prints from the headers
Refinish and install the front splash pan
Install the clip that attaches the wiper linkage to the motor
Set ride height and toe
Adjust belts

That’s it, I’ll be done with the engine compartment rehab until the radiator comes back.

I finished freshening up the interior last fall, it was looking a little worn from 20+ years of regular use.

The carpet and seats were out so the USCT subframe connector could be installed. I scrubbed the floor pan with Scotchbrite pads and wiped it down with cleaner/degreaser. To avoid overspray I brushed on a good coat of Rustoluem and gave it a week or so to dry fully.
DF02D91C-0B0D-4C5B-8844-ED8D0679BB84.jpeg

38639876-A507-424E-BEA9-D88A3D8BE070.jpeg

While the paint was drying I cleaned up the kick panels, cleaned up the seats, lubed the seat tracks, installed new seatbelt retainers, and a bunch of other detail stuff. The package tray was in good shape but faded, so I gave it a fresh coat of flat black.

C58D26C8-EB81-42DA-91A7-95C682430BA0.jpeg

I had recovered the original sail panels during the original build but the cardboard backing was weathered and wavy. A set of reproduction sail panels made a tremendous improvement.
02694B15-31DC-43CA-8898-A183E69574AC.jpeg

A121DCD8-E1F2-4D0A-A4EF-200F4DB4B521.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't know what happened to the folder with photos of the FatMat sound deadener installation or the carpet installation, so you'll have to use your imagination.

Anyway, I put it all back together and really took my time fitting and trimming the carpet. It's mass back loop pile from Stock Interiors (ACC). I cut some pieces of heater hose to put on the seat belt bolts between the belt and the body, the back seat ones always had an annoying rattle.

IMG_7973.JPG

The mass backing gives it a plush feel and adds heat and sound insulation.

IMG_7982.JPG

The finishing touch was new sill plates. I was really happy with the fit and the final result..

IMG_7972.JPG

Well, I got the wiring checked out and the splash pan finished. It took most of the afternoon to strip it to bare metal and work out numerous dings and square up the flanged edges. I painted it flat black based on the info in Justin’s GTX restoration thread. It was fully dried this morning so I bolted it in place with the restored original hardware. It seemed like a lot of work for something that few people will even notice, but there’s no sense compromising my standards on the home stretch…

image.jpg

I have the front ride height set to factory spec, it’s a little higher than I would like. I’m going to have to sleep on it for now.
image.jpg

I think everything is square with the world. After getting the front tires parallel with the rears on each side, I gave each side 1/16 of toe in.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The engine compartment rehab is at a standstill until the radiator gets back from Glen Ray. The paint on the GTX still looks pretty good, but there’s some minor blemishes and light swirl marks so I’m going to try my hand at paint correction. I just ordered an assortment of pads and snake oil from Chemical Guys. When the radiator finally comes the whole car will be fully detailed and ready to go…
EF812FB2-140B-42D5-AA53-0E124D94856A.jpeg

I pulled the gauge cluster apart and dusted the gauge faces with a lens brush and polished the lens. One bulb socket has a busted tab, I hope NAPA has one so I don’t have to pay $10 shipping for a $2 part…

image.jpg

I also put in a new voltage limiter since the cluster is already out…

Last edited:
Broke the damn contact on the dash dimmer switch, I am going to try fixing it with a piece from a non-magnetic feeler gauge or bypass the resistance coil so the dash lights are full brightness. I gave my spare to a friend in need before they were being reproduced, now the new reproductions are around $170…

The dash is still apart so I’m going to replace the wiper pivot seals before it goes back together. It doesn’t look like it will be a big deal, that means it will probably be a suck fest.

image.jpg

The switch panel had damage to the corners of the notch for the column so I used JB Weld to build them back up. I found a nice one on EBay and purchased it, the repaired one is going to be a practice piece.

F4567FC7-8870-4E2F-BC16-5B1669DBC206.jpeg

I gave it a couple light coats with semi gloss black to ensure full coverage. After it flashed over I dusted a few light coats from about a foot and a half away, giving it plenty of time between coats. If it’s too glossy when it fully dries I’ll dust a few coats of flat black on it and see how that looks.

Then I can try painting the lettering with a pencil eraser…

image.jpg

Wiper pivot seal replacement wasn’t horrible. The worst part was getting the pivots rotating freely again, it took a lot of heat to liquify the hardened lube. I drilled a hole in the lower part of each casting and injected some fresh grease so they should be good for the foreseeable future…

20566E17-4C06-4DB6-B4ED-4A863ECDCE20.jpeg

Mark, how would that happen? Non use??

Probably age and lack of use.

Edit: Out of curiosity I googled it. Over time the oil in grease separates from the thickening compounds and leaves behind a thick wax or tar like substance. The condition of the lube in the wiper motor resembled a wax ring you’d use to install a toilet, the lube in the pivots was probably the same way.

Last edited:
I worked late into the evening and got most of the dash reassembled. There were some minor wiring repairs to perform and a lot of cleaning. Laying upside down and working under the dash wasn‘t as fun as I remembered, and I’m feeling it this morning.

EA9696BA-9655-435F-AF07-2C0D26A6CBFF.jpeg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back