• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winter Project - ‘69 GTX Engine Compartment Rehab

My secret weapon for the Organisol…

image.jpg

The wheel opening moldings will be delivered today according to the tracking info.

The moldings look okay, only 2 mounting holes in each one and they are in the wrong place leaving a sizable gap between the molding and the fender. WTF?

I spent the morning brush painting my USCT subframe connectors using the same gloss black Rustoleum enamel that I used on the inside floor pan.

EFC66A62-BAC6-4018-8D85-1D9D388F9FD7.jpeg

I had an email exchange with Bob from Glen Ray last Monday, he said my radiator will ship out today. Keeping my fingers crossed…

The project tonight, pull the rear tires and clean up the inside as well as the outside. I also wiped the dust and dirt off of the springs and drums…

B58CB983-90F8-4EC4-BCFA-B56E3781DF5D.jpeg
36F599EC-7FE1-4E0B-BB3D-DAFEFA517DEC.jpeg
3EEB1D6E-B261-4AD7-8DF9-0B12C6376902.jpeg

Per NHRA rules, the wheel stud only needs to protrude into the nut for a length equal to the diameter of the stud.

Further, the rule states vehicle with slicks must have open ended lug nuts (most of us assume this is to allow for inspection/confirmation of above).

If you don't have slicks, it's unlikely anyone will ever look.

The purpose of the long stud is to allow proper thread engagement with aftermarket wheels that have thick centers. If that style of aftermarket wheel is never used, then it's perfectly acceptable to get rid of the extra length sticking out past the lug nut.

On mine the first thing I did was remove the studs supplied with the dutchman/dr diff axle shafts and installed ARP.

nhra lug rule.jpg

Per NHRA rules, the wheel stud only needs to protrude into the nut for a length equal to the diameter of the stud.

Further, the rule states vehicle with slicks must have open ended lug nuts (most of us assume this is to allow for inspection/confirmation of above).

If you don't have slicks, it's unlikely anyone will ever look.

The purpose of the long stud is to allow proper thread engagement with aftermarket wheels that have thick centers. If that style of aftermarket wheel is never used, then it's perfectly acceptable to get rid of the extra length sticking out past the lug nut.

On mine the first thing I did was remove the studs supplied with the dutchman/dr diff axle shafts and installed ARP.

View attachment 1465819

Stock studs would probably have been long enough with a steel wheel, but I didn’t bother changing them. I wouldn’t have used aftermarket axles but the machine shop screwed up and cut into the axles when they removed the retaining ring with a cutoff wheel.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back