• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winter Project - ‘69 GTX Engine Compartment Rehab

I thought I was the only one that didn’t get instructions with my stuff! And I also ordered some parts from Brewer’s, they didn’t have their advertising pamphlet, and worse of all…no sticker! What’s wrong with these companies :rofl:

It’s too early to declare victory, but I’m on the home stretch and winning. There was an aluminum plug that retains the rocker pivot, getting it out was the biggest challenge. I ended up drilling through the plug and threading in a self tapping screw, it walked right out.

I painted the parts to resemble an as cast finish, it’s cold so I’ll let the paint dry overnight. Each section got marked before disassembly so I can have everything clocked right during reassembly. It should go back together fairly easily.

617DDFAF-C833-47C8-907A-DE3415E3FEE5.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
I remember some thread about an assembly warning on these or the diaphram will never work, but don't remember the details. I think it was a Joel thread... @hunt2elk

I remember some thread about an assembly warning on these or the diaphram will never work, but don't remember the details. I think it was a Joel thread... @hunt2elk

I’ll have to look for it before I put this thing back together.

I’ll have to look for it before I put this thing back together.
"How To" Rebuilding a Carter 6903
Here is a video that Mike made. He rebuilt 3 or 4 6903's for me. The big thing is making sure the holes through the diaphragm don't get oblonged when starting the screws. Oh, and getting the correct spring.

"How To" Rebuilding a Carter 6903
Here is a video that Mike made. He rebuilt 3 or 4 6903's for me. The big thing is making sure the holes through the diaphragm don't get oblonged when starting the screws. Oh, and getting the correct spring.

Thanks! I actually ran across one of his videos last night that addressed preloading the diaphragm, the critical step that dadsbee was referring to. Mancini must be selling his kits because it has the exact same parts as the kit he was using in the video. The grandkids will be coming at noon so I knocked out the final assembly this morning, another piece of the puzzle is ready to go…

image.jpg

We spent the day with my youngest and her beau’s family, it was a great time. My bride fell on her *** walking out to the truck, after making sure she was okay I tried to snap a picture but she was back on her feet before I could get my phone out. Tonight I’m sitting here with the Ghosts of Christmas past and doing a little mindless work. I cleaned up the fuel lines I made 20+ years ago and added a barb to the ends. As long I had the polish out, the breather got a little love too…

image.jpg
95A09AE7-DFD3-432A-81D2-BDE84DEB3BE1.jpeg

Garage goals for today, get some gloss black on the new battery tray and refinish the Air Grabber lid. The top side looks OK but the underside is pretty ugly. It was chrome plated at some point, and not very nicely. The top side will get lightly wet sanded and treated to a fresh coat of Street HEMI Orange…

image.jpg

image.jpg

The can of paint isn’t spraying very consistently so I’m going to stop right here until I can get a fresh one…
image.jpg

More stuff, correct dipstick tube from Hoffman’s Winners Circle and dry transfer coil decal with an early 1969 date code…
image.jpg

Decal installed

image.jpg

It makes the MSD Blaster ll look more like a stock coil...

Last edited:
More stuff, 13” firewall ground cable and a throttle cable clamp kit.

24112247-77EA-402F-95B6-352C1E154DA4.jpeg

The ground cable that’s been on the car for 25 years was from YO, it was too short so I had to run it to the bottom voltage regulator screw. Now it will reach to the correct location. Since the throttle cable clamp is in a clearly visible location, it’s getting replaced.

I’m still waiting on engine and air cleaner paint as well as the correct style ribbed breather hose. I won’t need either one for a few weeks so it’s no big deal.

Picking up the K frame dolly on Saturday morning, if all goes well I’ll have the engine and trans out on Sunday morning. Then the real fun begins…

I picked up the k frame “dolly” and engine hoist today, my buddy is coming over tomorrow to help remove the front bumper and bolt on the lifting fixture. I have to pull the k frame bolts and 2 trans x-member bolts, then it will be ready pull. The top of the engine to the bottom of the frame rails is about 20” so I figure lifting the front a couple feet should do it. I hope to roll the dolly out the side …

image.jpg

We have lift-off…

Warren stopped by to help me get the front bumper off without scratching anything. Then he stuck around long enough to help with the engine removal.

The grille and upper support had to come off to make room for the boom on the hoist, it was close and I didn’t want to risk damaging them.

02C1009D-B7C6-420C-B574-F36EAEA2E844.jpeg

98B38BF5-E0C3-4C55-925A-7E30CD763FA5.jpeg

5EA211BB-00E0-45D2-9FD8-D851715F07CC.jpeg

No scratches or damage, now there’s more work to do…

Cleaning up so I can figure out the next step. There’s a few scratches low on the firewall from when I got careless taking the passenger side header out. They can be touched up with a brush. The rest of it looks pretty good yet…

image.jpg

The garage goal for tomorrow is to separate the engine and trans, and get the engine bolted to the engine stand. Whatever time is left will be spent cleaning and painting small parts.

I forgot that the old Edelbrock CH4B had a Mopar part number on it. It’s kind of neat…
536F2F96-93C6-4A59-BF09-C8617E33216D.jpeg

0F87C827-8131-4157-A497-68002AB46F9E.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back