• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winter Project - ‘69 GTX Engine Compartment Rehab

image.jpg

’Bout done for today. I met my goals and got the engine and trans separated, the engine on the stand and painted a few parts. Time to clean up my mess and chill for the rest of the day…

AD3CA0B5-CD45-4060-82C2-93FF9AE72171.jpeg
image.jpg
99CAD3AC-D96C-4CCB-AE94-C49162C54142.jpeg

D42205C9-5CF5-4CB8-89F2-F678C2FBD8D1.jpeg

B3B99A65-DF3E-4B5B-B396-FEC788BB04DF.jpeg

Last edited:
I dropped my parts at the powder coater this morning, we’ll see if he can hit the 2 week turnaround time as promised. It doesn’t really matter though, I won’t need the stuff for at least a month…

Last edited:
Hope those SEM numbers on the label being the same means nothing. As the aircleaner lid and the engine are not the same shade of Orange.

Hope those SEM numbers on the label being the same means nothing. As the aircleaner lid and the engine are not the same shade of Orange.

I don’t know if it shows up well in the picture, but the cap color on the Air Cleaner Orange is noticeably darker (more reddish)
image.jpg

Okay, I can see that now... was just reading the labels. The air cleaner lid should be "Fram Orange" and matched the filter colour in the day.

Okay, I can see that now... was just reading the labels. The air cleaner lid should be "Fram Orange" and matched the filter colour in the day.

I’m trying to do this right Wayne, until recently I wasn’t even aware that the lid was supposed to be a different color. Constructive criticism is always welcome…

After 3 days of clearing snow I didn’t have much ambition last night. All I got done was a piece of kick down linkage…

F7A01784-8EF6-4450-B013-BE187F6A72B7.jpeg

Tonight I will address the scratches on the firewall and straighten up the bottom of the core support. I will probably try to finish up the air cleaner lid too, now that the correct paint showed up…

More stuff…

F14B08B3-ABA6-4C35-A7DC-A1F8B8225B20.jpeg

5 Rib breather hose and clamps
Inner fender splash shields
Battery tray hardware kit
Screws for the inner fender access plates
Wiper linkage clips
Water pump housing bolts
KV marked fuel hose

The reproduction breather hose matches the rib pattern of my original hose but the texture isn’t quite as smooth.

image.jpg

Here’s a comparison of original and reproduction splash shields and clips. The texture is different, so are the clips. The original ones are smaller and have some sort of backer under the head.

image.jpg

I straightened the bottom flange of the core support, touched up the firewall scratches and painted the rest of my transmission linkage pieces. Since the can of Rustoeum was open I took a few minutes to Scotchbrite the dipstick handle and dip it in. Pictures of the 999 point Daytona show it with a black dipstick so that’s what I went with…

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Pictures of the 999 point Daytona show it with a black dipstick so that’s what I went with…
Yep, many will say they're orange to match the engine... but considering the dip stick is bare steel (on a 69 anyhow) the assembly was obviously installed after engine paint.
beerestoration2017 289.JPG

Yep, many will say they're orange to match the engine... but considering the dip stick is bare steel (on a 69 anyhow) the assembly was obviously installed after engine paint.
View attachment 1398165
Wayne how is your lower steering column finished? Many of the survivor photos I’ve been using for reference are showing the lower column and coupler painted in what appears to be a satin or low gloss black.

My Bee was bare steel (as is my '70 Bird), Justin's '69 GTX (in the stickies) was painted black.

Two coats of Air Cleaner Orange…

image.jpg

This paint lays down really nice

Last edited:
Working on the trans today. I was happy to see very little material from the clutches and bands in the pan, and no sparkly bits. I adjusted the bands, cleaned the pan and installed a new filter. After installing the reusable pan gasket the bolts were torqued to 100 in/lb. The manual says 150 so I’ll have to hit them all one more time. I have a new front seal for it as well, that will go in before the trans is mated with the engine.

The rest of the day will be spent cleaning the case and giving it a quick coat of cast aluminum…

B814D591-90DD-475A-B025-29898AA7ED8F.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back