• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winter Project - ‘69 GTX Engine Compartment Rehab

Also, the LCA’s are ready for powder coating. I have a k-frame dolly and lifting fixture lined up so I can drop the engine out the bottom, a borrowed engine hoist and my buddy’s heavy duty engine stand. Family stuff will occupy the next 2 weekends, but everything is ready to go so I might be able to sneak it out of there after work some evening…

I’m kind of beat from shoveling snow but tonight’s project will be to remove the carb, fuel line from the pump to carb and possibly the fuel pump. I went through the carb last June so it won’t need much, I’ll clean and pack everything up so it’s ready to go when I put the car back together.

Edited to add pictures…
0745E4E7-1B49-4B41-BD2F-35E3D998FAC9.jpeg
7245AF83-F7AD-4E33-8B50-C7A520DF93FA.jpeg
91857DA7-4D02-43FE-8229-1B2155350018.jpeg

Last edited:
How do you eat an elephant? One piece at a time

How do you rebuild a car? One piece at a time!

Don’t get burned out, but keep pushing, you’re lucky, the Midwest has long winters! :lol:

How do you eat an elephant? One piece at a time

How do you rebuild a car? One piece at a time!

Don’t get burned out, but keep pushing, you’re lucky, the Midwest has long winters! :lol:

The garage is my happy place, if I can get out there a couple nights a week and a put in a full day on the weekend the car will be ready by spring. Motivation is high because the GTX won it’s class at Mopars in the Park last summer. I’ll be in the Winner’s Circle facing off against all the other class winning Plymouths. I’ve been there a few times and never won, I may never get the opportunity again.

I’m going to give it my best effort, even though the odds of pulling it off with a regularly driven, 22 year old build are pretty slim.

image.jpg

Easy project tonight, I reworked the MSD harness for improved wire routing and gave the box a DuPont overhaul…

I must have gotten a bad can of low gloss black, hours later it still wasn’t dry. After 2 failed attempts at painting my coil, I stripped it a third time and shot it with semigloss black. It turned out nice, I ordered a date code correct dry transfer decal from ECS for a finishing touch…

image.jpg

Last edited:
Column shift bellcrank and brackets cleaned up and painted. I got new bushings for both brackets, one was toast and came out in pieces…

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
How do you manage your overspray? Are you painting right in your garage? Any thing you do to control it? Cold winters up here like you and I normally paint out in my old shed but not during winter/cold season. Your doing a great job! Keep post those super pics coming. Love to see what everybody is using to reproduce those factory finishes. Wayne/dadsbee and a few others are also spectacular in posting very informative photos.
Yes sir Black_Sheep your doing a mighty fine job! Please keep the post coming!

I spray paint small parts inside a large cardboard box in the far corner of the garage, then open the door for a couple minutes to vent the fumes and overspray. For larger jobs I have rigged up a “booth” out of poly, some furnace filters and a couple of box fans. I will have to do that when I respray the motor so my entire garage isn’t covered in orange.

More work from this morning…

image.jpg

I’m trying to clean up and refinish parts as they come off the car so everything will be ready to go back together. Up next, the NSS wiring harness. I can work on that while the Bears and Eagles play…

Thanks Black_Sheep. It really is hard to beat the old "cardboard box booth" isn't it.

Tonight’s project…
image.jpg

As much as I’d like to have my wiper motor professionally restored, the money can be better spent on other things. It looks a little better than it did when I started and should work better as well. The old grease was nearly fossilized…

Last edited:
image.jpg

image.jpg

The barrel is Rustoleum Gold Rush Metallic and the end plate is Rustoleum Matte Nickel. The aluminum body is all natural, as is the top plate. I left the red sealer drip on the body to add a little authenticity.

Last edited:
I dropped the Air Grabber baseplate and cooling fan at the blaster this morning, I decided on paint instead of powder coating them…

More stuff…

The wiper motor seal and bulkhead connector showed up so I can finish up the wiper motor tonight, assuming that it bench checks okay…
image.jpg

Bench test was successful. I installed the new seal, bulkhead plug and re-wrapped the wiring. I even got new nuts to bolt it back on…
image.jpg

The fuel pump rebuild can wait for another night…

Tonight’s project, it sure would be nice if Mancini Racing could include even basic instructions…
image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back