• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winter Project - ‘69 GTX Engine Compartment Rehab

I think this is everything I’ll need tomorrow…

image.jpg

When I put the balancer on last night, something didn’t seem right. It wouldn’t pull in all of the way, the tool wouldn’t budge but if I reached under the cover I could still move the slinger.

This morning I pulled it back apart and polished the inside bore, then lubed it with anti-seize instead of white lithium. It required plenty of effort but went on smoothly. The MAC installation tool was money well spent…

168A44F4-D59C-4A1B-9DB7-D6BFD20BD28A.jpeg

Good detailed thread!
Just so you know, you have low deck valley pan end rails on there.

No one will ever notice out back. If they do, they're looking too close.

Taking care of some odds and ends and watching the playoffs…

C482C268-A81A-4671-9312-6FF9037D6C9C.jpeg

It took a couple hours to straighten out the fins of the trans cooler.

35CB934E-CB38-444D-B9F5-5690A9F07280.jpeg

Engine mounting brackets are also done.

I looked everywhere I could think of, no luck finding the other valley pan end plate. Anybody have a spare one they’d be willing to part with?

Last edited:
After much deliberation, I decided to replace the oil pan instead of modifying it. Summit had one in stock so I should have it by the weekend. With any luck the blaster will have my water pump housing done so I can get this thing buttoned up and painted in the very near future…

image.jpg

I got the water pump housing back from the blaster so my garage goal tonight is to get it primed so it won’t rust. Then I will paint the back side of the housing and the upper portion of the timing cover so the hard to reach places have good paint coverage…

24109CDF-B2AD-444F-AF6B-CDB8F74D75F0.jpeg

While this dries for a while I need to find the housing hardware and the gaskets. I’ll probably install the thermostat and water outlet too, it’s still early…

3CA0C595-A982-489D-AB9A-F86252BDE754.jpeg

2C60C69E-6A54-466A-B296-A5E6CB9AD687.jpeg

Done for the night, the oil pan is tracking to deliver tomorrow but I’m going to wait to install it so my 5 year old grandson can give me a hand on Saturday…

image.jpg

I have nothing to contribute, other than saying I am really enjoying this thread. If you get bored, maybe you can list where you got some of the hardware and small parts. I can see some by zooming in but some of it is beyond the capabilities of my eyes and computer screen. Nice job. Love the attention to detail.

I have nothing to contribute, other than saying I am really enjoying this thread. If you get bored, maybe you can list where you got some of the hardware and small parts. I can see some by zooming in but some of it is beyond the capabilities of my eyes and computer screen. Nice job. Love the attention to detail.

Thanks fesser I appreciate the feedback. Most of the specialty hardware comes from a company called AMK, they sell direct and through restoration parts retailers. Detroit Muscle Technologies has a nice offering of small parts and hardware too, I believe they are an advertiser on this site.

If you’re curious about anything specific, just ask. I’ve had to get parts where I can find them. Sadly there’s no single source that will have everything you need. For me, the hunt is part of the fun…

Auto Transport Service
Back