• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winter Project - ‘69 GTX Engine Compartment Rehab

Under hood wiring is all done, now I need to find battery cables. I’ll probably have to make the positive cable, unless someone can recommend a factory cable that will work on a mini starter.

EA9667FE-346F-4516-A5E4-2E34B7651183.jpeg

885D0168-850A-4AF3-94BB-7881050BD633.jpeg

Between meetings I snuck out to the shop and used the press to install the LCA bushings and shafts, hopefully the Cosmoline I ordered a week ago shows up soon…
A867258F-77C1-45B0-B0D0-092AFA2AFC14.jpeg

Are you going to weld stiffening plates to the lower control arms?

I bought a set, but I never welded them on. But I’ve seen a lot of people add them.

D0E88DF1-ACB6-4E67-A3AC-C361F6866526.jpeg

247112EB-3BEB-466D-80BF-EAA233288B90.jpeg

I have been following along and this car is just stunning. These cars are truly a labor of love and really paying attention to details is important. Thank you for your time and patience to post your pictures and details of your work.

I have been following along and this car is just stunning. These cars are truly a labor of love and really paying attention to details is important. Thank you for your time and patience to post your pictures and details of your work.

Thanks, it really is a labor of love. I’ve had the GTX since August 4, 1982 so it’s been a long term love affair. I have refused several generous offers for the car, but I’m still having way too much fun to consider parting with it. When I first built the car there wasn’t much available for parts or information, now I’m trying to correct some of the “wrongs” and hopefully take it to the next level.

Thanks, it really is a labor of love. I’ve had the GTX since August 4, 1982 so it’s been a long term love affair. I have refused several generous offers for the car, but I’m still having way too much fun to consider parting with it. When I first built the car there wasn’t much available for parts or information, now I’m trying to correct some of the “wrongs” and hopefully take it to the next level.

You have definitely raised the bar. Long term loves are great.

Tonight I gave the torsion bar adjusters the black oxide treatment. I left the parts in the oxide solution a little longer, the finish seems more uniform and a little darker…

image.jpg

Tonight I’m removing the factory UCA’s and getting the eccentrics in black oxide. Before putting the front suspension back together I’ll clean up the inner fender wells a bit…

C84BFB52-E52E-4E72-8F6A-4C41EE8EE2A3.jpeg

1B71048E-F72A-4355-8D4D-D6B4519D9817.jpeg

That is super sweet looking and the coating should last a long time.

They will probably outlast me with minimal care.

I still have to do a batch of hardware, most of it is small stuff that would take forever to wire wheel. I'm going to try some Black Diamond sandblast media in a vibratory tumbler. I tried crushed walnut shells but it didn't do much...

Ready to start reassembling the front suspension after dinner. I think I’ll start by cleaning the wheel wells and installing the splash shields. Then the upper control arms, steering knuckles, strut rods, lower control arms, sway bar, torsion bars and shocks (in that order). The steering gear, pitman arm and idler arm are already in because I wanted to verify center link to oil pan clearance before putting the engine in the car.

image.jpg

Mike from the machine shop called to let me know that the rotors are done. I’ll be passing right by there tomorrow so the timing was perfect. I’ll put the new Timken bearings and races in them before they go back on.

The GTX could be a roller again by this weekend...

The old gal still cleans up well…

A9512F18-A88E-40C6-AE83-168025DE35C0.jpeg

One side done, loosely bolted together until everything is in place.

B1457FAE-B7C1-4182-8507-C3FD130B7570.jpeg

459C6FE8-6803-4E5D-AB1D-E8A37994D7A1.jpeg

Done for tonight, before I torque everything down I’m going to check the cotter pin holes to make certain they’re pointing the same way. The sway bar is still disconnected and the upper control bumpers aren’t installed so the LCA has maximum range of motion when the torsion bars are being installed. They can wait until tomorrow…

image.jpg

Your doing a fine job Mark! Love the documentation. It will certainly help many in the future. :thumbsup:

My daughter and her family joined us for dinner so no major garage time tonight. I still made a little progress, a couple of much needed parts showed up.

image.jpg

There’s a lot of work left to do under the car. Besides the torsion bars, I need to bolt the converter and flex plate together, install the driveshaft, connect the speedometer cable and shift linkage, change the trans mount and button up the exhaust. I’m hoping the GM linkage clips will be a suitable replacement for the original Mopar column shift linkage clips because they have seen better days.

There’s a few hours of work left on the front end too. The shocks have to go in, the sway bar links need to be connected, there’s bearings to pack and rotors to put on. Critical fasteners will be double checked one more time before the wheels go back on.

image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back