• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you pull it how would you try to patch it or fix it in the car

67coronetman

Local time
7:45 AM
Reaction score
Ok guys here we go about a year ago I got a bright idea to run aluminum pulleys on my car well me not paying attention I grabbed the wrong bolts for the boys especially the one on the crankshaft where the balancer is and they were too long well I proceeded to screw those in and didn't pay attention and it crushed my timing chain cover back into my oil sling and I found this out after I started the car up and heard noise well I proceeded to remove everything in front of the motor so I can access my problem area but you know as well as I do that once you break that seal where the timing chain cover meets the oil pan after I fixed my problem it seems to be a problem area of now for me because I have a slight leak that I can't find where it's coming from up there and in the process it's blown back under my car everywhere it's not a lot of oil but over time it adds up so now it's a mess after a year I'm sure others out there have done the same thing or am I the only one that ever did this I'm probably the only one so I think personally the only way to properly fix it is to pull the motor so I can clean everything properly and put everything back on without any kind of interference to make sure and then sealed if someone out here has a better idea please let me know I've used enough sealer and stuff to try to get it to stop but its not working

If I'm picturing this right you may have pushed the cover into the timing chain and gear and rubbing on it? If that's the case then you may have some shavings going into the oil which is not good. At the very least I would remove the cover and take a look. If it hasn't been rubbing then just replace to cover. If it has rubbed I would take it all apart to check it over for damage. I bet you wont be making that little mistake again! Good luck!

Replace the cover and seal. Seal it up with some right stuff and new gaskets. It will be fine, it's not a pressure area.

How the devil can you conjugate that sentence? No punctuation, no periods, no sentence structure. Not busting your balls here, but it's difficult to read. I have to guess what you are attempting to say.

Okay well thanks so far to those of you that giving advice let me clarify something I've already went through the process to make sure that the timing chain cover was replaced and the seal and the oil sling and there was no metal that I can find because the motor did not run that long but I did change the filter and the oil anyways and cleaned everything up and to the gentleman who said he could not understand what I was trying to get a crossed my phone don't exactly use proper punctuation and so on I did the best I could speaking into my phone so with that said the problem I face is no matter what I've done so far it's not fix the leak because you have to remember I did not remove the entire oil pan I just remove the timing chain cover and try to fit replace the bottom gasket by cutting it to size where the oil pan and the timing cover meet and I honestly believe that's where my problem lies that's why I said I think I'm going to have to pull the entire thing to do it properly but I didn't know if maybe some of you out there have ever had this problem and fixed it without pulling your motor

Tell ya what. You already did the cover. And thats more work than pulling the pan. So pull the pan,make sure its flat and good. And put it back together. Also reseal the fuel pump and the plug for the pump pushrod. Retorque your oil pump. And if you want,put a new o-ring on your dipstick. At this point I would go over the rest of the motor because you done most of it allready. Degrease the front of the motor and dare it to leak again.

This have got to be a BB or RB? The aluminum small block cover would have broke from the pressure.. If it is a big block no need to drop the pan. Use a timing cover replacement gasket set and seal the pan to block and cover contact with a good sealant.If you are still getting the timing cover on the oil pan can not be bent that bad.
The bolts from the oil pan to timing cover did all get installed?

They sell just the front gasket set. Comes with the timing cover gasket and seal. Also the front part of the pan gasket. You need to use a good sealer where the cover and the pan comes together in the corner. Remove radiator and do it in the car...

What engine do you have?

I wonder if the problem is the order in which you torqued the timing cover and front oil pan bolts. If you torqued the cover bolts first, the cover may be standing off the oil pan a bit, so when you tighten the oil pan bolts, hey never quite make a nice seal, especially in the corners.

- - - Updated - - -

my phone don't exactly use proper punctuation and so on I did the best I could speaking into my phone

I often do the same thing, all you have to do is say the word "period" and the phone will do it for ya. Works with "comma", "semicolon" as well as "question mark" and "exclamation point" as well as perhaps others that I have not tried.

First we need to find the leak. Clean the area with brakleen. Plug the valve cover breather. Useing low air pressure (low enough you can stop the flow with your finger). Put air in the PCV hole with a rubber tipped blow gun. Have a helper watch. The air will push the oil out. Makes finding hard leaks very easy. I use my leak down checker to regulate the air. Even pin hole size leaks are easy to find.
Doug

How the devil can you conjugate that sentence? No punctuation, no periods, no sentence structure. Not busting your balls here, but it's difficult to read. I have to guess what you are attempting to say.

I didnt have trouble understanding Him......this isnt english 101......though i did mention something to somebody on other tread(thread) that's now locked, about their modification of Absolutes, then of course if You read any of my ramblings, . they are fraught w/ slang & catchism........bc

I didnt have trouble understanding Him......this isnt english 101......though i did mention something to somebody on other tread(thread) that's now locked, about their modification of Absolutes, then of course if You read any of my ramblings, . they are fraught w/ slang & catchism........bc

No problem here either although I nearly passed out waiting on a period...... haha. It's all good.

First we need to find the leak. Clean the area with brakleen. Plug the valve cover breather. Useing low air pressure (low enough you can stop the flow with your finger). Put air in the PCV hole with a rubber tipped blow gun. Have a helper watch. The air will push the oil out. Makes finding hard leaks very easy. I use my leak down checker to regulate the air. Even pin hole size leaks are easy to find.
Doug

Geez, Doug, that method just makes so much sense, no wonder I never thought of it lol. Dumb question, should the motor be running when doing this?

Gracias.

Geez, Doug, that method just makes so much sense, no wonder I never thought of it lol. Dumb question, should the motor be running when doing this?

Gracias.
No, leave the engine off. I found a very small leak at my Indy valley tray last year. The only reason I knew it had a leak is because the crankcase vacuum level was low from the vacuum pump, never leaked a drop. Also on my sons car it would leak big time under boost, only. It had a pin hole in the dip stick tube. Both were found easily.
Doug

Ok guys here we go about a year ago I got a bright idea to run aluminum pulleys on my car well me not paying attention I grabbed the wrong bolts for the boys especially the one on the crankshaft where the balancer is and they were too long well I proceeded to screw those in and didn't pay attention and it crushed my timing chain cover back into my oil sling and I found this out after I started the car up and heard noise well I proceeded to remove everything in front of the motor so I can access my problem area but you know as well as I do that once you break that seal where the timing chain cover meets the oil pan after I fixed my problem it seems to be a problem area of now for me because I have a slight leak that I can't find where it's coming from up there and in the process it's blown back under my car everywhere it's not a lot of oil but over time it adds up so now it's a mess after a year I'm sure others out there have done the same thing or am I the only one that ever did this I'm probably the only one so I think personally the only way to properly fix it is to pull the motor so I can clean everything properly and put everything back on without any kind of interference to make sure and then sealed if someone out here has a better idea please let me know I've used enough sealer and stuff to try to get it to stop but its not working

Whoa Nelly, slow down, take a deep breath and stop with the run on sentence. I can't figure out what your trying to say. Glad others can make sense of it, I sure can't!

Do you guys say "period" when you speak? Give the guy a break. He's looking for car help, not an writing lesson.
Doug

Do you guys say "period" when you speak? Give the guy a break. He's looking for car help, not an writing lesson.
Doug

Proper sentence structure is learned in grade school and it certainly helps in understanding the thoughts he's trying to convey. He spells rather well, so proper grammar can't be far behind.

Proper sentence structure is learned in grade school and it certainly helps in understanding the thoughts he's trying to convey. He spells rather well, so proper grammar can't be far behind.

He did say he dictates his messages into the phone. He simply didn't know how to make his phone add punctuation. No big deal, man, I already told him how to.

Auto Transport Service
Back