• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“Just testing the waters…”

fine69

Local time
11:17 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone else boil with anger when you see “just testing the waters” in a car ad? I can’t stand it! You’re either selling it or you ain’t. It’s your car - figure out what it’s worth and what you want for it. If you’re not a serious seller, you won’t get serious buyers.
Plus, “testing the waters” makes it look like you just want a free appraisal and/or you’re a greedy arsehole. On top of it all, you’re suggesting that your car will sell for top dollar only and is a poor deal on the buyer’s end. So knock off the water testing!

Just testing the waters.. But HELL yes it bothers me. Either you want to sell it or you don't. If you don't and you are looking for people to price your **** then go on ebay. Let them pay what they want to pay.

having dealt with these types for 30 years,i can tell you this.
just testing the waters =
how much can i possibly Squeeze out of this wretched automobile?
can i possibly interest Anyone desperate enough to pay my outrageous price that i wont reveal until 4 days later??

having dealt with these types for 30 years,i can tell you this.
just testing the waters =
how much can i possibly Squeeze out of this wretched automobile?
can i possibly interest Anyone desperate enough to pay my outrageous price that i wont reveal until 4 days later??
If you are smart enough to own the car, you should be smart enough to have an idea what it is worth.

:thumbsup:

Those sort of threads will be removed from view here. :elmer:

12461.poof.jpg

It is the, shall we say, "seller's" way of backing out on any deal he does not think is to his advantage. I have been seeing them much more often lately, especially on FB marketplace. C'mon, get off your lazy *** and find out what your car is worth and post the number. If it sells, good for you. If it doesn't, you may want to adjust your price accordingly.

Yup: It's about as dumb a way to advertise a car as I can think of. I immediately pass on those.

It is the, shall we say, "seller's" way of backing out on any deal he does not think is to his advantage. I have been seeing them much more often lately, especially on FB marketplace. C'mon, get off your lazy *** and find out what your car is worth and post the number. If it sells, good for you. If it doesn't, you may want to adjust your price accordingly.
Much the same as the Real Estate market here now. Most houses go straight to auction, with no price indicated or listed.
To me, that is the sign of a lazy Agent just looking for an easy commission. And because houses are hot right now, it's just money for jam.

I have to agree with all. I clicked on this thinking you were just testing the waters and I was going to give you grief.

Same deal to me as the "WIW" (what's it worth?) posts, really...

I have to disagree to a degree here. I am helping a friend sell his Dads estate full of cars. Most are Mopars, which I have no problem evaluating, but there are a couple of other older cars I’m not familiar with. So, I put out a “what do I have here, and can anybody tell me more about the car” thread on FB. It did it’s job of informing me on what the car was, it’s desirability level, and a broad but helpful price range to ask for it once I get it cleaned up. So, before you bash all of the WIW threads, remember that there are circumstances where they are helpful.

The car in question….a ‘36 Ford 2 door sedan, commonly referred to as a slantback!

882BD3C2-E11C-4104-BBEC-ED1A07895B4A.jpeg F202CEE8-8857-4829-9A85-0370353FA60F.jpeg 955D29D6-F90D-456C-BBFC-ED1866FCB116.jpeg 5A80CE71-58F0-4F93-B60C-7CDB49DB87D6.jpeg BAE6462F-0C26-4EE3-8922-8954DF19B1E1.jpeg

I see your point but like you said, there are circumstances when they are helpful. This thread isn’t really referring to your (or your friend’s) circumstances.

I have to disagree to a degree here. I am helping a friend sell his Dads estate full of cars. Most are Mopars, which I have no problem evaluating, but there are a couple of other older cars I’m not familiar with. So, I put out a “what do I have here, and can anybody tell me more about the car” thread on FB. It did it’s job of informing me on what the car was, it’s desirability level, and a broad but helpful price range to ask for it once I get it cleaned up. So, before you bash all of the WIW threads, remember that there are circumstances where they are helpful.

The car in question….a ‘36 Ford 2 door sedan, commonly referred to as a slantback!

View attachment 1221046 View attachment 1221047 View attachment 1221048 View attachment 1221049 View attachment 1221050
Don't waste your time asking about it on facebook, go right to "The Ford Barn". As i'm sure your aware of leave the phase "Just testing the waters here" out of it,lol.

I see your point but like you said, there are circumstances when they are helpful. This thread isn’t really referring to your (or your friend’s) circumstances.

Well, although I didn’t word it that way, it was a what is this worth thread that I posted, because I really didn’t know what it was worth. I know what the owner wants for it, but I wanted a realistic idea about what the car was, and whether his price is out of line or not. There’s always circumstances that aren’t published, in my case, this was his great grandfathers car, who bought it new, so sentimental value had to be part of the equation. That doesn’t equate to actual value though, so a WIW thread was really the only way for me to get an idea.

I understand the intent of the thread, but sometimes testing the waters generates an actual buyer, and may get someone off the fence on a car they are hoarding, but would actually sell. It’s much better than the “I’m going to fix it some day” pergatory that a lot of cars fall into!

Auto Transport Service
Back