• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

10-year-old boy’s car restoration project with dad set ablaze

DeltaV

Endeavor to persevere
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:04 AM
Reaction score
:mob::mob::mob:

https://wpta21.com/2021/08/13/10-year-old-boys-car-restoration-project-with-dad-set-ablaze/

CORUNNA, Ind. (WPTA21) -- Imagine this: you're 10-years old, you love cars, and you bought one with your own money two years ago to restore with your dad.

You've put in hundreds of hours of work so you could take it to car shows one day.

Because the boy was in school, we caught up with the boy's father to see the car as it is today.

"How could you do something like that to a 10-year-old kid? I'm devastated. My son spent his money on this car and he's worked diligently to get it to where it was," Joshua Hart said.

In DeKalb County, mechanic Joshua Hart isn't sure how he's going to break the news to his 10-year-old son Gauge that his dream car, a 1994 anniversary edition Camaro, was set on fire Monday night along County Road 8.

It was on a parked trailer at the time.

He says Gauge researched and bought the car two years ago as an 8-year-old after getting back child support from his mother.

"I let him on Facebook Marketplace and he found this car in Bronson, Michigan," Hart said.

Over the past two years, the father and son have invested hundreds of hours and a lot more money into the bonding experience project, finally getting the engine rebuilt this spring.

CAR-TORCHED-GAUGE-WEB.jpg

Every driveway 10-year-old Gauge shoveled, every lawn he mowed, the money went to buying parts on eBay to restore the car.

"Even when he was in school he wanted to go to the shop after school so he could work on it, and I had to say, no, homework first, car second," he said.

Every driveway Gauge shoveled, every lawn he mowed, the money went to buying parts on eBay to restore the car.

Receipts and the restoration process were documented carefully.

"What was left to do on it? We were going to start replacing the interior where it was pretty much car show ready, and then we were going to worry about the paint," he said.

Hart says the two love traveling to car shows, which was the goal, the big dream for this car that's titled in both their names.

"You got a 10, 11-year-old kid showing it to a car show. I mean, he can show them he's built the car and done it. And car shows like that, those guys, they recognize things like that, so they would have been all about it," he said.

With that dream now up in smoke, and Hart trying to convince his insurance company the car's now worth far more than what Gauge originally paid for it, he says it will be up to Gauge to decide what to do next.

"He's strong-minded, the whole works. So the hunt's just going to start over. That's just how he is," Hart said.

A family friend started a GoFundMe page to help Gauge finance his next car to restore with his dad.

The family reported the crime but no arrests have been made.

I sure hope this tragic loss hasn't blown out his desire to do something like this ever again? What was that Mopar rag that had a "Young Guns" section for new kids getting into the hobby? This kid sure qualifies for that!

Hopefully he's gonna wind up with enough to get an even better car, it won't be the car he & his dad built but they still have time to make more memories.... I donated, hope others do as well... Show him in spite of all the trash there's also allot of good people, good car people out there...

Don't panic, the go-fund-me will probably net him enough to open his own GM dealership!

Sad for the kid but something does not seem right. Why on a trailer on the road and not in your driveway or garage

Sad for the kid but something does not seem right. Why on a trailer on the road and not in your driveway or garage

That thought crossed my mind. How long was it sitting there or was that the first time and "coincidentally" it gets set on fire ?!?!

great story

good the kid is into old cars too

I just don't do gofundme stuff, never ever

I'm tempted to thou

Pulling on the old heart strings will bring you a lot of money. I hope it's not a scam but .... So he had comp coverage on a car project for his 8 year old??? Hhmmmm

I just hope that the kid looks good in gold chains and a mullet

Some miss guided soul lit one of my projects on fire in front of my house back in 2011. I was stunned that some people respect property that little. The worst was the fire marshal telling me the next day that I had 72 hours to remove the remains or the city would do it and charge me. They dinged my insurance company for repair of the road and then never did the job. The burned out asphalt is in front of my house to this day.

Rolland

Right! Something weird there. The article didn’t explain thing well.

The trailer might have blown a tire. It was hard to tell from the TV report if all four tires were good or not. A tandem axle trailer, you can limp along a few miles before you start tearing stuff up.

Hopefully he's gonna wind up with enough to get an even better car, it won't be the car he & his dad built but they still have time to make more memories.... I donated, hope others do as well... Show him in spite of all the trash there's also allot of good people, good car people out there...
...awesome...

Auto Transport Service
Back