• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Annoying things that Dad used to do...

my old man was a depression kid, oldest of 6. dropped out of school to go to work. He was on a destroyer in the south Pacific in WW2, then a carreer iron worker; which explains his being "loud".......

he would eat some fucked up ****; I've watched him butter bread and make an onion sandwich, covered in black pepper........... wash it down with a qt of Iron City or Schmidts (a philadelphia beer)...... then head out to the porch to smoke a cigar.

My Mom was a obviously a Saint!

My old man was a depression kid, oldest of 6 boys. Dropped out of school in Colorado to come out to Washington and work in the Kaiser shipyards with his father. He was a Seabee in the Pacific Theater in WWII, then a career as advertising manager for the local newspaper.

He would eat some fucked up ****. His favorite meal was a slice of white bread spread with healthy amounts of butter and peanut butter and smothered in navy beans, then to make it particularly disgusting, ketchup and horseradish on top. He would eat at least 3 of those at a meal.

He smoked 3 packs a day and died of an aortic aneurism in 1972 at age 47 on my 1st day of junior high school when I was 12. I never knew him as an adult and am a lesser man because of it. I have his diaries (as an aspiring journalist) from his formative years, and I can say his thought process at that age was well beyond mine. He was a Toastmaster, an Indian Guide Chief and member of other clubs, was on the board of directors for our church as well as other boards, and was into self-improvement throughout his life. I like girls (well, one now), fast cars and partying.

Mom was a saint for raising us 2 teenage boys to the men we are today! RIP Mom and Dad.

My old man was a depression kid, oldest of 6 boys. Dropped out of school in Colorado to come out to Washington and work in the Kaiser shipyards with his father. He was a Seabee in the Pacific Theater in WWII, then a career as advertising manager for the local newspaper.

He would eat some fucked up ****. His favorite meal was a slice of white bread spread with healthy amounts of butter and peanut butter and smothered in navy beans, then to make it particularly disgusting, ketchup and horseradish on top. He would eat at least 3 of those at a meal.

He smoked 3 packs a day and died of an aortic aneurism in 1972 at age 47 on my 1st day of junior high school when I was 12. I never knew him as an adult and am a lesser man because of it. I have his diaries (as an aspiring journalist) from his formative years, and I can say his thought process at that age was well beyond mine. He was a Toastmaster, an Indian Guide Chief and member of other clubs, was on the board of directors for our church as well as other boards, and was into self-improvement throughout his life. I like girls (well, one now), fast cars and partying.

Mom was a saint for raising us 2 teenage boys to the men we are today! RIP Mom and Dad.

good stuff, my Pop passed when I was 22...... I think he realized I was gonna be alright, I was a bit of a renegade

I saw this when it was new and did not post. Now I see it has been brought back up. Reading some of these entries makes me chuckle about some of the seemingly universal Dad things.
I don't have anything to contribute. There were 7 kids on a family WI dairy farm, in the 70's and 80's when it was not a profitable venture to be a family WI dairy farm to say the least. I would not trade that time in my life for anything. In regards to my Dad, I miss him dearly, more than words can describe. I could go on for a long while about how home life was, but none of it fits the theme of this thread. Things that may have bothered me as a youth, I have gone over in my head a hundred times since and I understand full well why my Dad chose his words and actions for everything he did in life, and all it does is make me regret not being a better son when I could have been in little ways.

good stuff, my Pop passed when I was 22...... I think he realized I was gonna be alright, I was a bit of a renegade

Similar stories, eh @eldubb440 ? I always knew I'd have been less of a renegade had my Pops been alive. He'd have beat some sense into me when I needed it.

BTW, my CB handle in the 70s was Renegade (I had a Jeep Renegade CJ5).

Onion sandwiches... Thought my pop was the only one... Along with cow brain, pickled pigs feet, some nasty old cheese that smelled worse than my butt... And a lot of other weird stuff..... Don't know how he could eat that stuff....

Onion sandwiches... Thought my pop was the only one... Along with cow brain, pickled pigs feet, some nasty old cheese that smelled worse than my butt... And a lot of other weird stuff..... Don't know how he could eat that stuff....

depression food, I'm sure.......

looking back, I realize he was always "teaching" me stuff....... cars, construction, ect......... we rebuilt a Briggs and Stratton together and he emphasised "clean clean clean!"..... I was 15, it looked clean to me........... "it's not clean enough! would you eat off of that son of a bitch?":mad: :mad: :mad:

:lol:

I so appreciate those memories

One of the lessons I got from my father is his belief that a man needs to know how to do more than one thing. If your job goes away, you find something else to do. He told me I would never have to worry about my next meal because if he lost his management position at the local newspaper, he would deliver the paper. Old school thinking that guided both my brother and me throughout our lives. If you don't row your own boat, you're headed downstream.

Alan (my old man) RIP. He died in 1987 at 59 yrs old, but man did he leave an impression on me, and I loved him dearly.

He always provided for me and my sister while he was an only parent after Mom died in 1978.
He woke up everyday at 5:45A and was out the door at 6:15A, six days a week, Sunday he didn't leave until 8A.
My Dad LOVED cars, he showed me photos of his cream and gold 1958 Fury. Dad loved Chryslers until 1981.
Then it was Buick. I learned to drive on a 1981 LeSabre. I was driving a car at 15. Dad was super cool about some things...HA! He owned a bar in a very bad area of the city, but he never drank. He saw drinking as a weakness. Although he didn't apply that same logic to his 2 pack a day habit of Marlboro Reds.

There was the time I got busted smoking dope in 9th grade and picked up by the PGH Police while cutting school with three buddies. After getting hauled back to the #6 station in the police van and led into the building, they proceeded to get everyone's name and phone number and began calling parents as we waiting for Pgh Public school police to take us back to school to face our punishment. (I never was arrested, read rights, or cuffed, I complied because they were the F'in police, and I was terrified) LOL

My Dad was the first and only parent on the scene. "That one's mine" I heard. Then in front of the cops in the station, he threatened my friends and I thought he was going to beat the **** out of them. He told them if he ever saw them at my (his) house, he would kick their ***. THAT was embarrassing! They were scared.
My father never beat me, maybe a push from time to time, but could make me feel like a piece of garbage and relentless when he would harangue me. I still hear his guidance from time to time to this day.
When I F'ed up he didn't let me forget it or blow it off. (maybe that's why I smoked so much).
I don't want to say what he thought of "dope heads" of the type of people he believed smoked dope...

Dad was working on his pilot's license and had been flying solo when he was diagnosed with Mesothelioma.
Airplanes were his first or second love next to cars. He was forever bummed that he was drafted "too late" in WWII to go over seas and whip ***. Without his actual license, and after soloing, he was only able to fly with me in the back of a little piper front engine plane WITH an instructor in the front with him - although dad was flying the plane. Ever do a "stall recovery"? I thought I was going to kiss the ground after landing!
Miss ya Dad!

Our dad would eat Limberger Cheese sandwiches with 1 anchovy on it. That **** stunk. Used to gross us out. Must have learned that going thru the Depression.

Dad would drink buttermilk. He never had to worry about any of us drinking the last of it. Nobody else wanted that stuff.

Dad would boil a bunch of fresh garlic on the stove and then stab each piece with a fork and eat it right out of the boiling pot.

The bathroom wasn’t the same for days.
No exaggeration AT ALL.
I swear the odor stuck to the walls.

Both his and my mom’s ethnic roots screamed for garlic in many home cooked recipes.

the old man would fart at the dinner table; and everything about the man was LOUD

not at Thanksgiving, ect........ but after working all day, and slugging a couple qts of Iron City on the way home, I don't think he really cared

he ruined farting for me, I don't think anyone has ever heard me cut the cheese :D
Around strangers? Nope, not audibly anyways.
If I look around in the store and nobody else is with us on the same aisle though...
oh hell yeah.png
:lol:

I had hemorrhoid surgery. Not the elastic band thing but actually had them cut out. Not for the faint of heart. Changed my life for the WAY better, but one side effect is that I cannot simply let gas silently out. It WILL make noise. So I will discreetly hold it as long as I can, and even separate myself from the herd if necessary. But when I let it go, I go all in. Hell yeah!

Hog head cheese, pickled boiled eggs, or some pickled pigs feet and a hot beer made for a bad time for us that didn’t think farting was funny. He was just wrong. Lol

My dad was pretty mild, although he didn’t like to go to the movie theater because he couldn’t fart there. One thing he did, and still does, is change every name of something or someone to a pig Latin name. Hence…Baccaruda, or anything he could change. He still does it, but not much, but we laugh about it now, and his unique laugh, which we mimic in fun to each other.

Auto Transport Service
Back