• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Annoying things that Dad used to do...

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
Dad has been gone for awhile and although I do miss him, sometimes I think of the things that our Fathers did that was annoying.
My Dad used to stand at the kitchen counter after work and while talking, he would jingle the coins and keys in his pocket. That used to grate the nerves of my older brother.
Dad would sometimes stop walking in the house and say "I've stepped over this sock three times and I'm tired of it. Someone needs to pick this up." (What about you, Dad?)

A friend's Dad used to make this sucking sound in between sentences as he spoke, as if saliva production was far above average with that guy.

I'm fortunate that Dad worked hard and kept us fed. I am grateful for that.

I hated it we my step dad would let out a silent fart and walk away. Damn that was wrong, I had my mouth open. I miss him, but I don’t miss those. Lol

This neighbor kid had a dad that was building a post war Jeep that operated off of a hand crank to start it.
One day, the kid pestered the father to start it and after a few minutes, the Dad went over to the Jeep and started cranking on it. He spun it a few times and then it sputtered then spun backwards and smacked the top of his arm. He yelled out in pain while jumping up and down, flailing about…..and being stupid kids, we started laughing, The dad was pissed off.

1 laff Z.jpg

Last edited:
Dad would sometimes stop walking in the house and say "I've stepped over this sock three times and I'm tired of it. Someone needs to pick this up." (What about you, Dad?)

I kind of disagree... it likely wasn't his sock, nor did he put it there.
Why can't the people that offer nothing, offer to pick the sock up :thumbsup:

I'm trying to make annoying things for my son. When I visit his house, I open the refrigerator door and just stand there looking in. He got the message the very first time.

I'm trying to make annoying things for my son. When I visit his house, I open the refrigerator door and just stand there looking in. He got the message the very first time.
That's awesome. My turn should be coming soon.

We'll see

The reason it is so much fun to push your kid's buttons is because you installed them.

Dad has been gone for awhile and although I do miss him, sometimes I think of the things that our Fathers did that was annoying.
My Dad used to stand at the kitchen counter after work and while talking, he would jingle the coins and keys in his pocket. That used to grate the nerves of my older brother.

A friend's Dad used to make this sucking sound in between sentences as he spoke, as if saliva production was far above average with that guy.

when he usd to kick me in the *** if I didnt move fast enough when he told me to do something , in front of his friends .
used to embarrass the piss out of me !

My Dad would curse sometimes but the only time I heard the F word was when he was talking to a friend and didn’t know I was nearby.
We were spanked as needed but never beaten. He always made sure we had food and clothes so in no way am I ungrateful.
It is fun though to recall some things like these that were part of him.
Another one:
He’d see us do something stupid and tell us to think first, “be smart about it”…. Then if we were talking too much, he’d tell us to “ Dummy up”.
As a kid, it made no sense. I learned well after I was driving that in his generation, a “dummy” was a mute, one that couldn’t talk.

Last edited:
My dad was an even-keel sort to the max. Count maybe 3 times in all da years when I saw him get riled. When my brother or I did something stupid, we did more than I can count, he’d calmy say “What were you thinking?” And he wanted a legit ANSWER, ‘don’t know’ didn’t count. He didn’t go smacking us (well ok, one time smacking my brother and once where I was a heartbeat away).

Interesting man and always of few words. Idle chatting wasn’t his thing. He treated us like adults were weren’t yet, having reflected on it over years. You got your *** in trouble; you figure out how to get out of it. Though if you asked him, he’d help; but had to ask.

Our mother was the opposite, she’d just smack us and done, over. No chit, there were times when we’d rather deal with her, than our dad waiting for an intelligent explanation we couldn’t drum up to his satisfaction.

My Dad, you never new what he was thinking. Man of few words. Son of a coal miner. 1931 vintage , Korea vet. Worked his rear off for all of us.
Drank hard , chased skirts, he and mom divorced.
He really pissed me off at times and i couldn't wait to get away.
After he was gone, I missed him, still do.

Hmmmm.. what does a guy say when his Dad's on the forum.....hmmmm

Hmmmm.. what does a guy say when his Dad's on the forum.....hmmmm
If you learned ANYTHING from your pop, YOU SAY NOTHING!!!:lol:

Remodeling my 1st house in 1990, my father-in-law (Korea vet, Jarhead) was retired: was hanging 4x10 drywall on ceiling, hot humid August, no air movement, 2 fans in windows and 1 TRYING to push cool in in from hallway: I was holding piece up, Duke got half screwed in, stopped, put gun down, turned off fans, walked out & closed door. He began laughing his *** off, THEN I SMELLED IT!! DAMN RAW ONION & RAW RAW GARLIC!! He got me good. Glad we were able to bust on each other and laugh together, it was good for both of us.
SBDs!!!!

Died in 2000, MISS YOU DUKE!!

As far as my dad, man of few words, busted his *** for family: dad & mom has several businesses, sold 1, started another, expanded it then fire destroyed it; went back to driving tractor trailers (1964 to 1969 & 1981 til injury in 2000 , retired) He rarely cussed, never an f-bomb: after my divorce in 2013, gave me advice about women: "FIND EM, FEEL EM, F##@ EM & FORGET ABOUT EM" !! DAMN DAD!! :lol: "Do what needs to be done boy"
Dad passed April 2022 at 80. Miss him every day.

Dad was and still is my Hero... Served in WWII Korea & Vietnam... Spent time as a Drill Instructor.. We saw a good bit of the world, Europe, Asia, the Middle East.. And a good bit of the USA.... Never spoke about his time in war zones but between ribbons, medals & the way guys who served with him spoke about him it was apparent he'd BT&DT... He raised four kids & took good care of all of us... Back then the military didn't pay much but we never thought of ourselves as poor, or lacking... Everyone else in the military was in the same boat...

He passed in June of 2010 & I think about him every day...

Dad was a big, strong, rough and tough guy. You could threaten us kids with calling the police but PLEASE don't tell dad. He put the fear of God in us boys to say the least. He was the reason we all stayed in line (for the most part lol). He had a bit of a militaristic approach to discipline. In fact, I still have folks ask me if I was ever in the military when they see the way I do some things. Thanks dad.

Annoying things dad used to do? (Edit - thanks @moparedtn) A couple of the "less enjoyable" things dad would have us do...

- When us boys would get out of line out in public, he'd make us drop and do push-ups. Nothing like being in the middle of a grocery store with folks watching us doing push-ups.
- One of my chores was to wash and wax the cars regularly. Even in the dead of winter. He'd have me run a hose from the hot water heater in the basement to outside. Quite the strategy drying the car as ice was forming. Thaw and dry, thaw and dry lol.

Interestingly enough I still do push-ups regularly but I absolutely hate washing cars :lol:

Last edited:
I've written about my dad on here several times and I don't really want to participate in any "annoying" thread
in describing him - as some of you know, I'm finally at peace with his memory, hard-earned as that was....
but he did have a couple unique (but not necessarily annoying) habits I find myself even doing to this day
subconsciously.

One was how when he was really concentrating on working on something - say, a bolt was giving him a hard
time, for example. He'd sort of stick his tongue out of the corner of his mouth, then bite down on it.
Helped him to focus power, I guess - and yeah, sometimes I find myself absent-mindedly doing the same thing
when working on something difficult (my wife will notice it quickly if she's there).
Heck, I've even seen my older sister do it back in the day - and she's not nearly at peace with his memory as I,
which makes it sort of melancholy I suppose.

The other habit I can think of right off hand is how he'd take his pocket knife and clean under his nails all the
time, sort of a nervous habit - kind of like some whittle wood, I guess - just something to do with his hands
when he was idle. That came honestly for him, given his hard life early on and what all he had to do to earn
money - a habit that lasted until he passed, even though he'd long since decades ago stopped working with
his hands for a living.

I was a lucky kid. I don’t recall anything my dad did that was annoying. He worked hard, loved his family, friends and was always willing to help. Had me in the garage or wherever helping and learning. He was raised dirt poor in Mississippi, on a 280 acre farm, during the depression. They (8 brothers ) plowed with mules and did everything the hard way. His father was a cruel man, my dad didn’t follow that path. He was a tough SOBuck. The stories I was told by he and my uncles, about him, were enlightening to say the least. I thank him everyday for everything he instilled in me as far as hard work, respect, love and showing it. I lost him in 2002, he was my best friend and I think about and thank him everyday. I had a great mom too. My 2 sisters and I, were truly was a lucky kids.

I’ll revive an old post.
My dad was an amazing guy, but we never really “got” each other. He was ex military, dirty thirties survivor. I was a pot smoking long hair.
He is gone now, and I wish I could bond with him him now that I am older and wiser. I REALLY wish our daughter could have met him as they would have got on famously. Her middle name (Rae) is after him, Ray.
His most annoying trait: he smoked for decades. Quit in his sixties but died in his sixties.

Ill follow suit.
As I was reading this I couldn’t think of 1 dern thing that Dad did that was annoying. He did smoke but that never bothered me. Most everyone around did.
I was in Dads hip pocket from the time I was old enough to walk. If I wasn’t in school or tasked with watching my 3 younger brothers I was with Dad. I can’t recall him ever losing his temper I can remember when he was clearly disappointed. Hell I even worked with him after high school a couple years. For some reason he called me Herbert instead of the name he gave me, never could figure that out. I guess I doing same thing to my son, who I call Bub, It was borrowed from my uncle’s nickname. By the way Dad and uncle Bub were only apart when they was at home they always worked together every job, every small business, lots of weekends helping each other with big tasks at home, they would joke about sharing pants when they were growing up, John wore 1 leg, Don the other! He was the second most important man in my life. I remember once I was running my mouth about how great of a truck driver I thought I was, Bub looked at me shook his head a little because he didn’t like what he was hearing, I felt so small, I changed immediately. They both left us much to soon Dad at 53, I believe uncle Bub may have made 65 he was 2 years older than Dad. Losing Dad crushed me, about when I had that worked out Bub left us. Sorry this got long. I could go on and on a out them.

Auto Transport Service
Back