• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Annoying things that Dad used to do...

the old man would fart at the dinner table; and everything about the man was LOUD

not at Thanksgiving, ect........ but after working all day, and slugging a couple qts of Iron City on the way home, I don't think he really cared

he ruined farting for me, I don't think anyone has ever heard me cut the cheese :D

My father spent most of 30 years as a police officer in the economically challenged neighborhoods working the graveyard shift . Yeah ..a very tough way to put food on the table with six kids to feed . He's fall asleep in front of the t.v. . That wasn't so bad . It was his snoring ,so loud we couldn't hear the program...

My father spent most of 30 years as a police officer in the economically challenged neighborhoods working the graveyard shift . Yeah ..a very tough way to put food on the table with six kids to feed . He's fall asleep in front of the t.v. . That wasn't so bad . It was his snoring ,so loud we couldn't hear the program...
He earned the right to snore loudly... My dad snored so loud we got complaints from the nearest neighbor....LOL...

My Dad never ripped *** in front of us kids. Mom didn't either.
Dad didn't burp around us either. He actually had good manners now that I think about it. He did snore though.
When the family would go to the drive in movies, moments after we parked, dad would conk right out and sleep through the whole movie.

Wow, this thread is bringing back a lot of memories.
As I said, my dad was ex military, dirty thirties survivor.
He was also an abuse survivor. The sort of abuse that guys didn’t talk about back then. My grandmother ultimately packed up the kids and left in the middle of the night but by then my dad was scarred physically and mentally. At six foot two he was a big, tough man. He was an MP in the military for a while, fighting guys who know how to fight. But he never once laid a finger on me.
But here’s the thing: because of the abuse he suffered as a kid and what he saw in the army he would wake up swinging. And if he connected you were going to sleep. If we had to wake him up for supper or for work we would literally creep up on our belly, reach up, and shake his foot.
Another time we found a harmonica in the house. My dad turned it over a few times in his hands and proceeded to belt out the most amazing old school blues. Like professional quality. Then he put it down, got up and walked away. Never mentioned playing harmonica even once before or after and refused to talk about it.
Like I said in my previous post, I wish I could talk to him now.

I had a pretty personal response typed out...but I chose to delete it. "TMI" as the kids say......Pop did his first tour as a Huey gunner, and then they got him to somehow[:realcrazy:] re-up as a tunnel rat....for two more.

I will post this, though-

He'd bark at us for changing the TV channel even if he was passed out on the couch.
A lazy Sunday afternoon, me and the brothers restless and him snoring away with "Donovan's Reef" or "The Great Escape" or some other (what we naively considered at the time) 'old clunker' on the tube...if we even thought about changing it he'd sense it from his slumber and roar to life, just long enough to scare us out of the room, and then fall right back into the arms of Morpheus.

Last edited:
My dad would call down to change the T.V. channels. I would tell him you have the remote in your hand. He would forget and remind me that he was the T.V. remote when he was a kid.

I have blurbed a bit of my dad's hate of my muscle cars. Called them "Noise makers." While he drove the biggest land yachts available. The first car I can remember was his '57 Cadillac Eldorado. The doors on that thing were HUGE. Heavy. I couldn't open. I remember pushing door button with two thumbs. And if I did get it to pop? I was too little to open if on flat ground. I remember once getting open when I had some gravity help. But no way could close.

I'm lucky...Pop is still around. And I'm dreading the day he will be gone.

Me n Pop Fitchin.jpg

I had a pretty personal response typed out...but I chose to delete it. "TMI" as the kids say......Pop did his first tour as a Huey gunner, and then they got him to somehow re-up as a tunnel rat....for two more.

I will post this, though-

He'd bark at us for changing the TV channel even if he was passed out on the couch.
A lazy Sunday afternoon, me and the brothers restless and him snoring away with "Donovan's Reef" or "The Great Escape" or some other (what we naively considered at the time) 'old clunker' on the tube...if we even thought about changing it he'd sense it from his slumber and roar to life, just long enough to scare us out of the room, and then fall right back into the arms of Morpheus.
Last night I had read over this thread and had planned on replying to it this morning with a bunch of stuff but thought better of it too.....and I never heard dad fart either until much later in life and then he grinned. Had one in waiting so let it out and I grinned back. We didn't get along all that good in my younger years but did later on which I'm glad about. Looking back I'm certain that dad was frustrated with his marriage. My sister was mom's favorite and could do nothing wrong but that's all I did. Always into mischief of some sort with the majority of it was kept to myself but man, the stuff he caught me doing brought hell fire down upon me. If only he knew half the crap I did as a young teen. Thought he would take my head off when he figured out I was using the car to haul the lawn mower to go mow yards when I was 13.

About the only thing he did that bothered me to the point of it making me sick was his smoking. The only thing I liked about it was the smell of the Zippo lighter when he first lit up. Mom smoked too and my sister was pretty vocal about it especially when we were in the car. Neither one of us smoke today but I did smoke the occasional cigar but quit those years ago because even those affected my allergies and got worse as time went on. Dad was in WW II and didn't talk much about it but did talk about being stationed in Reykjavik. By the sounds of it, he liked it there.
I'm lucky...Pop is still around. And I'm dreading the day he will be gone.

View attachment 1544091

the old man would fart at the dinner table; and everything about the man was LOUD

not at Thanksgiving, ect........ but after working all day, and slugging a couple qts of Iron City on the way home, I don't think he really cared

he ruined farting for me, I don't think anyone has ever heard me cut the cheese :D
IMG_20230901_092303515.jpg

"THANK THE LORD YOU DON'T FART!! You don't want to show Morty any bad habits!!"

great thread, My dad sat at the kitchen table and tapped on something to make noise to irritate my mom, must have been mad about something this would happen occasionally. The worst were his farts, the old would stink up the whole damn house, He would eat some nasty stuff like the pickled eggs that used to sit on the bar, or gas station counters. I brought a date home one time big mistake, the old man rips one while walking by and has his hand on his *** cheek fanning it as he passed us. Didn't understand why he was such as *** back then until I was older and my mom told me his story. My dad was a child of two very bad alcoholic parents, who basically never provided anything to there kids. He was the oldest of three, and basically raised his two siblings. My uncle was the second child, Me being the youngest don't remember him being around much, He had come to age and went on with his life, but my aunt was like my sister and a big part of my life. there were times with no food and little clothing. I was told a story once of when his dad made him buy a pair of used shoes from him so my dad could go to work as a teenager. My dad was a korean veteran wounded in action provided a pretty good life for my family, worked at Tecumseh products for 30 years until retirement in 86. He was never my hero or anything like that when I was a kid, but he is now, I miss that stinky s.o.b. every day. died in 2001 at age 70. R.I.P. old man

my old man was a depression kid, oldest of 6. dropped out of school to go to work. He was on a destroyer in the south Pacific in WW2, then a carreer iron worker; which explains his being "loud".......

he would eat some fucked up ****; I've watched him butter bread and make an onion sandwich, covered in black pepper........... wash it down with a qt of Iron City or Schmidts (a philadelphia beer)...... then head out to the porch to smoke a cigar.

My Mom was a obviously a Saint!

My dad, my best friend, gone in 2005.
Taught me to build engines, jam a 327 into a Vega, but later in life he felt duct tape and coat hangers would fix his vehicles, drove me so crazy I would take over and correct it. I should have known that embarrassed him (my bad)
He served on the USS Phelps during WW2 and was all about following rules and orders so we knew how to keep him happy with doing our chores on time.
Sure miss him

I had an horrible relationship with my dad ( he beat me a lot) in fact he also hit my mom until one day I challenged him to a fist fight, he realized that he was not young anymore and he could not stand a young man, also he call names to my sisters and my adored grandma, horrible names, I did the same thing, he was rude, disrespectful, bad mouthing, I told my mom several times that he was the worst thing that could ever happened to her, she remained In silence every time i said that, and he also smoke a lot, until this day I can't even smell a cigarette

Last edited:
"C-Q, C-Q, C-Q,.......C-Q two meters WA9***, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah, etc., etc., etc." Seemed constant back in the 60's to me.
A yacker on the HAM bands collecting those QSL cards.

He was also the clown around type with corny jokes and the "pull my finger" trick.

Auto Transport Service
Back