• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Plymouth Savoy Build

Guess I'll be prepared if I have a problem. Thanks!
Well let’s hope not, the first set of points came with the distributor when I purchased it and they were used lasted 1 year, but as you can see from my previous posts the plastic flower broke apart and burned the points. The second set I purchased on eBay and they broke apart as soon as I started the car. Hopefully the Pertronix will last because they are no longer available for the older prestolite distributors and I want to run the original max wedge distributor. Hopefully your will work fine I just don’t know why mine did that.

Ok it’s official, the savoy is now a Grand Canyon State car. I purchased these 1964 Arizona plates with an original 1965 registration tag. Got a tag bracket to put the current tags on it. 5 year registration for 135.00! Way better than California’s cost

3D8AD789-212D-48B8-82AF-BC46D37BF792.jpeg

773A4CB0-7CE1-49CE-A108-55BAA6D45339.jpeg

FREE in Ontario now! (if you believe anything is free) !
To register a Year-of -Manufacture plate or buy a vanity plate in Ontario is now just North of $350.00. However, as dadsbee said, there is no annual renewal fee.

Fun Fact: after typing in dadsbee, Spellcheck somehow changed it to cadaver. Are you feeling OK, Wayne?

Fun Fact # 2: if you are typing in a word or set of letters that Spellcheck may not recognize, type a period (.) after it, and then go back and erase the period. This seems to defeat Spellcheck.

Last edited:
Finally got the max wedge running again but only lasted a short time when the engine died again after running for 10 minutes, l let the smoke out of that Pertronix pointless module I installed, smoke started bellowing out from under the cap right after it died. Come to find out all the time with the points frying and now the Pertronix, the MSD blaster 2 coil primary resistance was .6 ohm. Not the required 1.5 so my MSD coil may have been the problem all along overheating my points from too much current. So I ordered a replacement Pertronix module and the epoxy filled coil from Pertronix that’s rated at 1.5 ohms. And with that I’m hoping it will be resolved. I so badly want to keep my cast iron prestolite dual point with the Tach drive, so we shall see.

Antique tag here in TN is $32.75. One-time fee; no renewal charge ever, tag stays with the car until it
leaves your ownership. We only have rear tags here as well...
You can also get a vintage original tag appropriate to the model year and register it with the car instead.
Me, I got an Antique tag on the back and a Northwest Territories polar bear tag on the front. :)

Was in Santa Maria for the Nationals over this weekend. Was ok but not quite the place for the Savoy. No awards but a lot of looks and people liking the car. Won’t waste going to those anymore. But you learn that by going.

IMG_3888.jpeg

Hi all,
I had a car show in Burbank at Johnny Carson Park for the Road Kings. I’m still a member even though I live in Arizona now. Well when I was driving there from Simi Valley when I got off the freeway and pushed in the clutch it made this load metal rubbing sound. As I got into the show parking it got worse and I was having trouble getting it into gear. I had to shut the engine off then put it in gear then start it again. Well for the whole day it just sat so at the end of the show I was able to drive it back to Simi Valley and load it on my trailer. A few weeks later after I got home I took the transmission out and found the input shaft was seizing on the pilot bushing, luckily I got it out and a new one put in, cleaned the end of the input shaft off with emery cloth. It’s working better than ever so I’m happy that’s all it was. Take it to Big Bear again on the 11 and 12 of Aug so looking forward to that.

IMG_3986.jpeg

IMG_3987.jpeg

IMG_3988.jpeg

IMG_3989.jpeg

IMG_3990.jpeg

IMG_3991.jpeg

IMG_3992.jpeg

Take the Savoy to Big Bear for the local car show. Made it here this morning. Stayed the night in Joshua Tree then climbed the mountain this morning. Yesterday trying to start the Savoy in the garage after fixing the pilot bushing and the engine would just fire up then die. I realized it died when I let go of the ignition from crank. I found the ballast was open circuit, power on one side and nothing on the other, so I bypassed it. Another reproduced Mopar part that’s only got 200 miles on it and it failed. More Chinese made ****. So after that now it starts and runs it was back firing up through the carbs. To the distributor cap off and found the rotor flopping around. Metal tap on the bottom broke, Accel reproduction dual point max wedge cap and rotor from summit racing. Must be made in China too! Got another one and now she runs great. It’s very disappointing to spend all this time and money on the Savoy and do all the work myself to be messing with it after only 200 miles because of poorly made parts. Some of it is just junk! Well I will enjoy the show until something else fails it’s only a matter of time!

IMG_4070.jpeg

IMG_4069.jpeg

Another great weekend at Fun Run in Big Bear City, weather was perfect and the show was outstanding as always, my brother and I’s Carryall didn’t place anything this year but the Savoy got one of the Top 20 Trophies sponsored by Big Bear Speedway and I could not be happier. A lot of nice cars too so I’m very fortunate. Most are custom built cars and not self built. I’ll keep B Bodies posted on my next show. Thanks for everything and all your support!

IMG_4083.jpeg

IMG_4029.jpeg

IMG_4024.jpeg

IMG_4074.jpeg

Been having problems with my distributor rotor coming loose and moving around causing misfires so I purchased a prestolite one and drilled a hole in the side along where the flat metal locking tap to put pressure on the rotor and make it more solid on the distributor shaft. Also got a dust free car cover from my brothers work and it fits like a glove. I’ll be take the Savoy to a car show in Parker AZ at Pirates Den Resort on the 30th. I’ll be driving it there from Havasu.

IMG_4135.jpeg

IMG_4136.jpeg

IMG_4137.jpeg

IMG_4138.jpeg

IMG_4139.jpeg

IMG_4140.jpeg

IMG_4141.jpeg

IMG_4142.jpeg

Been having problems with my distributor rotor coming loose and moving around causing misfires so I purchased a prestolite one and drilled a hole in the side along where the flat metal locking tap to put pressure on the rotor and make it more solid on the distributor shaft. Also got a dust free car cover from my brothers work and it fits like a glove. I’ll be take the Savoy to a car show in Parker AZ at Pirates Den Resort on the 30th. I’ll be driving it there from Havasu.

View attachment 1519625

View attachment 1519626

View attachment 1519627

View attachment 1519628

View attachment 1519629

View attachment 1519630

View attachment 1519631

View attachment 1519632
Smart idea

Hey Chuck, that cover looks like a good fit to match the lines on your car ! Can you share some details, and where/how to locate them, from your Brother's work ? Thanks !!!

Hey Chuck, that cover looks like a good fit to match the lines on your car ! Can you share some details, and where/how to locate them, from your Brother's work ? Thanks !!!
Yeah it does fit great, my brothers name is Tom. The place is in Simi Valley called Auto Obsessions. The cover is by Covercraft. They did not make a 64 Savoy cover but they had a 65 Belvedere so I ordered that. I’m glad you like it. Call my brother anytime when you’re ready and he will hook you up. He would like that!

Decided to make another attempt to stop my oil leaks, I traced everything out and I had little ones in a few places so I cleaned everything off and retorqued the valve covers then I drained the oil and touched up the paint on my pan then installed these pan rails I got from Mancini Racing and retorqued the pan. Put new oil with comp cam zinc additive so I’m crossing my fingers again. Got 500 miles on it now and still runs and sounds great. I’m getting on it a little harder now and I love it, maybe MATS again this year.

IMG_4474.jpeg

IMG_4475.jpeg

IMG_4476.jpeg

IMG_4477.jpeg

IMG_4478.jpeg

IMG_4479.jpeg

Well the other day I took the Savoy out to a local car show which was only 3 miles away and when I got there and opened the hood to change out the air filters to the velocity stacks I noticed splash marks on the inside of the hood and on the passenger inner fender, looked and saw coolant dripping from the weep hole on the water pump. As some of you remember when I first filled the engine with distilled water the Milodon pump I had was pouring out its weep hole and it was brand new never run. Now this 2nd one with only 550 miles on it and it’s leaking. It’s not a Milodon pump but a 440 source high flow pump. So when I was at Mats last weekend I got a Mopar high flow pump. I installed it last night and now I’m at a show this morning in Havasu and so far so good! We shall see

IMG_4619.jpeg

IMG_4618.jpeg

IMG_4617.jpeg

IMG_4622.jpeg

IMG_4621.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back