• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 model Mopars: Does the VIN get stamped anywhere on the car like later models?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:26 AM
Reaction score
The car in question is a 65 Dart but as I understand it, all models used the same system until the end of the 1965 model year. I am looking at a 65 Dart that has been sitting for awhile and the owner isn't alive anymore to answer questions. The VIN tag is not in place but one was laying below the dash. It decodes to what the car actually is, a 65 Dart 2 door originally with a slant six. I want to confirm the VIN before moving forward on this.
I am not familiar with body numbers but I thought that they were stamped in a few places on these cars. Later cars had a number on the trunk rain gutter along with one on the radiator core support. This car has a number on the core support that does not match the VIN or fender tag. How do you confirm numbers on these cars?
Thanks.

Kern. Not to helpful with your question but my 65 satty also has a number on the core support that does not match the VIN. Maybe this info gives you a little comfort.

Thank you. I posted this over at FABO too and it appears that the VIN in these cars is not found anywhere else. The body stamping is a sequence number, not a VIN. The man over there also noted that without a broadcast sheet, there is no way to confirm the equipment the car had. Lots of room for fraud in the hands of an untrustworthy owner.
I'm just looking to avoid problems if I decide to get the car.

The VIN is the only numbers to be concerned with. Any stamped numbers are merely production sequence numbers. Mopar didn't start stamping partial VIN numbers on core support and trunk lip until 1969.
By the way, the VIN tag was mounted on the drivers side door jamb. 1968 was the change over to the dash.

You might be able to get the IBM card from Chrysler historical. If you send in the VIN that you have and the so number on the tag, they can tell you if those numbers go together, and all the other equipment the car came with. It costs money and takes some time however.

Auto Transport Service
Back