• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 K-member in Early B

Detroit Iron

Local time
12:59 PM
Reaction score
I've been planning this project for years. It's FINALLY taking shape. I have a 1964 Polara 500 with the original 383 and a 1967 727 transmission. The K-member is from a 1970 B-body. I've read this swap will move the engine back 1 5/8", but it looks more like just 1". Better handling, braking, sway bar set up, etc.

I have the K-member in the car, and just dropped in the fresh short block. The first issue to be addressed is the transmission cross member support. I didn't think to get the cross member from the car that donated the K-member, so I hope someone can post a photo of one so I can see if it may work. As you can see in the photos, the original cross member will not work.

Included are photos of my progress so far.

Attachments

• Short Block.jpg
    Short Block.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 993
  • Engine Mount Left.jpg
    Engine Mount Left.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 936
  • Engine Mount Right.jpg
    Engine Mount Right.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,115
  • Original Cross Member.jpg
    Original Cross Member.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,127
Shumachercreativeservices, engine-swaps.com, they have whatcha need.

Shumachercreativeservices, engine-swaps.com, they have whatcha need.

I have one of those conversion mounts. It worked well when I had the stock K-member in. Now I need a complete cross member. No conversion mount will solve the problem. See the last photo.

Turn it around?

Well now I'm leaning towards the cut off wheel and welder.

Bring the car down here to me and we will cut, grind and weld that bad boy!

hi,all i did to mine was turn it around and re boxed the the mount area.less than a hour of work,mark

thanks for the idea and explation

ill take a pic in the morning,car is in the trailer.mark

Mark, I just purchased a 63 Plymouth savoy and the car is in the way here.
I just find out the k frame was complete replaced with 69 road runner unit.
am dropping a 440 with 727 and look I will be having same problem. Glad you just came with my answer.
what about exhaust problems?? thanks, Mel

Just cut the bracket off and fab your own. A piece of 3/16" flat stock with ears bent at a 90 degree angle to the bottom works. mount forward or rearward as nec. If you're using a push button Trans the Chevy S-10 mount needs the ears opened up a tad to fit. Disregard the heims as they are to keep the motor plate from moving for and aft.
Doug

Attachments

• 339.jpg
    339.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 664
Thanks DVW. Yours looks similar to what I did with mine. Actually a friend does my fab work. I will try to get photos posted this evening. I like the Heim Joint supports. I never thought there was much movement there, but I guess so.

CBCBORM, I have TTI exhause with slip fit connections. I assume this will make things easy, but haven't actually gotten to this point yet.

I'm sorry I move sooooo slow on this. Anyhow finally working on the car again today. Here is the modified cross member.

- - - Updated - - -

A new problem is the firewall pinch weld. He sticks down too far. The trans bell is not able to go up far enough into the tunnel because it's crashing into the pinch weld. I had to dice the pinch and fold it back.

Attachments

• IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 543
  • Pinch-Weld.jpg
    Pinch-Weld.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:
Looks good. That's right along the same lines that I did on my trans crossover/mount.
64 Ply Sport Fury with a 69 440/67 727 shoved in the hole. I've only had the chance to mock set mine in, just to get the measurement for the trans mount. I had a spare 64 crossover that had shaky welds on the box anyway, so I re-fitted it, moving the mount as needed. But, I'm also using the stock 64 K-frame with it all.
Starting to wonder if I'll have any clearance probs on the 440 oil pan.

why not just get a later cross member and use the later mount its better anyway . 40 /50 $ may be there is something im missing

why not just get a later cross member and use the later mount its better anyway . 40 /50 $ may be there is something im missing

I don't believe it will bolt to the body of the early B cars. I'm past that part now though. Right now I'm getting ready to cut the firewall so the trans bell will have room to go further back in the car. Chop Chop!

I don't believe it will bolt to the body of the early B cars. I'm past that part now though. Right now I'm getting ready to cut the firewall so the trans bell will have room to go further back in the car. Chop Chop!
It will go in w/o the cut. But making the tunnel big will allow a shield and easy access.
Doug

Attachments

• B85.jpg
    B85.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 458
  • B86.jpg
    B86.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 445
  • B88.jpg
    B88.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 478
  • B87.jpg