• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Charger restoration

Ok guys, I have a question for y'all.

Last year, right before disassembling the car, my drivers door opened and closed perfectly without any issues. I have hung the door back on with the same hinges, and now it drops maybe 1-3 tenths of an inch when the door is opened, whic in return causes the striker to audibly jolt the door upwards when closing it.

When I took a closer look, I found the lower hinge is missing the spring assembly. I probably lost it. Should this be affecting the alignment at all?

I also cannot seem to get the upper hinge to slide forward... if that's the fix. Any ideas?

Last year, right before disassembling the car, my drivers door opened and closed perfectly without any issues. I have hung the door back on with the same hinges, and now it drops maybe 1-3 tenths of an inch when the door is opened, whic in return causes the striker to audibly jolt the door upwards when closing it.

When I took a closer look, I found the lower hinge is missing the spring assembly. I probably lost it. Should this be affecting the alignment at all?

I also cannot seem to get the upper hinge to slide forward... if that's the fix. Any ideas?
Nobody?

Due for an update:

Maybe I'm paranoid, but before I get ahead of myself with the welder I decided to hang all exterior sheetmetal to ensure things were straight. Today, specifically, I hung the passenger door and fender back in place. The flat hood was laid down to ensure fender fitment is acceptable. Everything seems to line up good, besides some adjusting needing done on the drivers door. AMD front valance couldn't be better. Hope their bulge hoods are of the same quality!!! Rear valance cannot be fitted until quarter skin is welded in place, but measurements are spot on.

Oh I also undid the torsion bar adjuster bolts a few spins so the body sits more level. And I have started to drill out wheelhouse spot welds... lots of fun!

20170909_193140.jpg 20170913_180818.jpg 20170913_180841.jpg 20170913_180806.jpg 20170913_180854.jpg 20170912_141130.jpg

It sounds like you may have already fixed the problem but I do not think the spring will affect the alignment of the door. My roadrunner lost its springs many years before I got it and it closed perfectly. Hopefully I am giving good info but it sounds like it is just an alignment issue. Did you take the hinges off when you took the door off?

You car is looking awesome man! I wish I had the courage and the time to have done mine myself. Great work!

It sounds like you may have already fixed the problem but I do not think the spring will affect the alignment of the door. My roadrunner lost its springs many years before I got it and it closed perfectly. Hopefully I am giving good info but it sounds like it is just an alignment issue. Did you take the hinges off when you took the door off?

You car is looking awesome man! I wish I had the courage and the time to have done mine myself. Great work!
Thanks, and yeah I'm gonna play with alignment some. The two reasons I'm doing the work myself, is because it's much cheaper, and I want to learn. I don't know if I'm up to the challenge of paint, though.

Small progress here and there... just going as I can find time and money. AMD trunk gutter came in, and I drilled out the old one. Had to remove it, because metal underneath was rusty. Looks like it'll fit just fine...

plans are to weld in patch for the rear trunk panel/bumper support, plug weld in trunk gutter, finish removing and plug welding new wheelhouse in place, then the quarter can go on.

Starting to see a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel, but I still have a long ways to go.

Pictures on my phone, will be posted in a few minutes.

More progress here and there... I found some rust in the rear "tail panel" , and cut that out. Making a patch soon.

Trunk gutter fits really good! But can't weld it in yet. Most of the outer wheelhouse is out, and it's been fighting me for a long time. I'm always finding hidden spotwelds! And while I have easy access to the old factory undercoating I might as well grab the heat gun, right?

Meanwhile I traded one of my cars to a friend who works in a bodyshop... in return he's gonna do the final bodywork and paint starting in march or april. So meanwhile I'm working my *** off to get all the rust repairs done and what not!

My plan right now is:

1. Remove last of old wheel housing
2. Plug weld new wheelhouse into place
3. Weld in trunk floor ext.
4. Finish tailpanel patch
5. Weld in trunk gutters then quarter skin
6. Hang doors on new AMD hinges
7. To all the same patches on the passenger side.... fun.
8. Make a few cowl patches
9. Patch a small hole in floor pan

This is a lot of headaches and hard work, but I'm sure it'll be fun in the long run.

20171013_162302.jpg 20171015_131329.jpg 20171101_203124.jpg 20171212_135904.jpg 20171212_135913.jpg 20171212_140032.jpg 20171212_140051.jpg

Last edited:
Wow bud car is looking good . I can't believe how much you have gotten done since last time I looked . Wish I can start on mine . We're getting close I think 2-3 more months before I am realised by the doc. Keep up the good work.

Wow bud car is looking good . I can't believe how much you have gotten done since last time I looked . Wish I can start on mine . We're getting close I think 2-3 more months before I am realised by the doc. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the kind words, Bb70. I'm hoping to get back into the garage tomorrow and do some more!

Man great progress on the body thus far....Keep up the good work!
Thanks! It really means a lot coming from you; "the master restorer" I'm hoping to have the car in paint by july... Should be fun! This is my first major project and I really hope it turns out good.

Thanks! It really means a lot coming from you; "the master restorer" I'm hoping to have the car in paint by july... Should be fun! This is my first major project and I really hope it turns out good.
Brings back memories for me to my first restoration....at home in the garage cutting and replacing panels....

It is nice to see your attacking all the problems areas and not shortchanging...That in itself creates a long term paint job....

Coming along nicely and I think you will be very pleased with the end product.....

Keep up the good work!

Justin

Oh and one more think I'd like to say... AMD lists many of these parts for the 71-2 Charger "only" but I have found they all fit the 73-4 model perfect, with the exception of one quarter panel support that had to be cut and bent slightly. If any of y'all want the info on the 71/2 parts fitting on a 73, I'll share the info.

Which support? The one that hugs the quarter flange or the one that the quarter end cap mounts to? I need both so it's good to hear they are workable for 73/74.

Auto Transport Service
Back