• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 500 build

tell him oh well this guy on the internet says do it this way. Let me know how that works out for you.
My local engine builder has done a lot of big block Mopars, and I trusted him with the 421 in our GTO. He built and does the required maintenance on an alcohol burning, aluminum rod, supercharged Gen 2 Hemi. I just spoke with a guy at our "local" race track and this same builder, who I trust, did the 440 in his A-body that was running 9s at 155mph all night in.
Having said that, IQ52 is my choice for my builder, but he is not available. I am leaning towards having my local guy build the engine to whatever specs Jim (IQ52) can share with me, in as much detail as possible. Other than that, my next inclination is to use the closest geographic guy Jim recommended, and I also have Carolina Machine Engines on my list too.
Hopefully by the time I have the money, I will have made a decision.

Hey everyone I am looking for some info on a 500 stroker engine build. I called 440 source and asked them about a street motor set up for pump gas. They said to go with 27 dish pistons with stealth heads for a cr of 9.6 to 1. My engine builder is telling me to stick with flat top pistons and 78 cc 240 trick flows. 440 sources website says that set up will get 11.5 to 1. Im stuck on witch way to go. I have worked with my builder for years. He is a mopar drag racer for 40 plus years and has ran strokers for years. Any info would be great. Im going to call 440 source tomorrow and pick their brain..
Hey Stubby, here are my 2 cents on the topic.
But first, what are you building the engine for, or, actually, to do? Street? Street/strip, drag car?

As a basic rule, the old advise given in the performance books over the decades has proven itself very well. Though there are people and magazines that push the limits of normal safe engine building perameters, it is better to be safe than sorry. As mentioned earlier, pushing the compression ratio is a minor gain in power. But it can less to octane headaches later.

With that said....

8.5-1 and lower for regular gasoline.
9.5-1 pump premium.
10.5-1 could allow the best pump gas with the right combination of parts. This ratio and iron heads could possible be run on 93 but works best with race gasoline @50/50 in many cases. This again is a combination issue.

At 500 cubic inches, your not going to miss the performance difference between a 87 octane 8-1 or 9-1 engine next to a 11.5-1 engine.

Let's not be picky
Big Overlap would open the intake and close it earlier giving more DCA and more prove to detonation given same cam lobes
focus on the intake close point at .004 or .006 and let the LCA just fall into place
bio
right- with proper headers- and more so with open-headers not so much with stock manifolds
too much overlap can pull raw fuel into the exhaust raising EGT (with stock manifolds or headers) We have reduced EGT by 800 degrees with quench and reduced overlap (shorter high rate MOPAR lobes) (compared with stock 440 cam (extra long ramps), HP manifolds and no quench)

Auto Transport Service
Back