• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$500- 68 charger

Sounds like a good product Robert. Thanks for the heads up..I'll have to pick some up and tinker with it.

Roger...Here's a link from rust bullet that will answer your questions as well as some questions others folk mat have.

http://www.rustbullet.com/faqs.asp?id=1

Another thing to add.....Once you open the can, if you don't utilize all of it and want to seal the can back up, use a piece of glad wrap in-between the can and the lid. I've trashed a couple of containers just trying to get the lid back off again. The stuff dries up that tough.

I'll second the glad wrap. I use an old rattle can cap to scoop it into something else disposable to keep it out of the can's rim. It will seal solid.

I learned about the cling wrap the hard way also. Seemed to be just about as strong as a weld.

I could use some help guys,. If anyone has some pics or knows a link of some detail shots of the trunk drops install I would greatly appreciate it. I am test fitting the trunk floors and having trouble figuring out the some of the proper alignments. My original stuff was so rotted or gone I can't tell for sure on some of it. My new tail panels and corners are due any day which will help, but even then I would like to see it before I do it. 1968 preferably, since there are some minor differences with them and the laters. Here are some pics of the areas I need to see>

Attachments

• IMAG1029.jpg
    IMAG1029.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,013
  • IMAG1030.jpg
    IMAG1030.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 990
  • IMAG1035.jpg
    IMAG1035.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 957
Ahhhh, not so distant memories. I see your having some of the same issues I had, Unfortunately I wouldn't weld in the trunk drops in until the quarters go on. It all has to line up at the same time, including the quarter corners that are a real joy. It's a puzzle and you need all the pieces to put it together. I did get the trunk pan in first though. You should be able to get a good alignment with what you got in so far. I had to do some trimming and get creative to get the drops in right and the corners in. I would get the pan in and just make sure all your measurements are even on both sides and line up good with your rear seat pan and wheelhouses. If your still nervous just tack the floor pan in until you get everything on, TAKE YOUR TIME, it get's exciting getting panels back on but double check everything. Check out SGT Paul's thread, he documented better than I did with good pics. Good luck. If you want specific pictures I can try and get some for you tomorrow.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?15210-SGTPaul’s-68-Charger-R-T-project

looks like you are moving right along. I am going to be start the restore on my 72 charger i got in pieces. i found it on craigslist some kid wanted to trade for a jeep. so ill be checking in and good luck

We had some issues with the fitment of one of my drops. Took some creative cutting and bending. Definately get the quarters and corners (you will have fun with the corners) in place first. The drops were the last piece we welded in. Not sure if this is correct, but it seemed to be the easiest to us.

Rgr tht, will do, thnx guys.
Well, I did my 8x10 hour nite shifts (at my paying job) and it's time for another 6 off-days and nites of fun. I got all the tail-panels, etc., this week. They look really good but I can tell I will have to tweek them in spots. Here is a pic of where I am, starting back where I left off.
Everything test fit good so time to let the sparks fly!:th_krazy:

Attachments

• IMAG1038.jpg
    IMAG1038.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 904
Rear framework done. Shackle brackets took some tweaking, they did not won't to fit right. I had to beat, bend, grind, etc., before they went on.
Now, FINALLY, time for the trunk floor pans.

Attachments

• IMAG1040.jpg
    IMAG1040.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 923
Didn't get as much done as I wanted during these days off, but I never do., lol. Prepping the trunk pans took forever. I didn't space my spot weld holes far enough apart and ended up drilling over 400 holes, wayyy too many, dang my arm is killing me. Also test fit the tail panels.

Attachments

• IMAG1046.jpg
    IMAG1046.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 864
  • IMAG1045.jpg
    IMAG1045.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 878
Last edited:
For not getting much done, you've gotten more done in the last 2 weeks then I've gotten done in the last 2 years. Keep the progress going.

For not getting much done, you've gotten more done in the last 2 weeks then I've gotten done in the last 2 years. Keep the progress going.

It's my therapy, now. Hope I can keep going. It's kinda become an obsession. I feel like Dr. Frankenstein, driven to bring life back to this dead monster.

"gotta turn the welder up"

Attachments

• doctorfrankenstein-1024x776.jpg
    doctorfrankenstein-1024x776.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 794
Love it, This is going to be sweet when its done, I thought its been coming along good but hey, crank that welder! :)

Looking good - nice progress.

Thnx guys.
I'm getting to the point where I need to decide it's color and would like some other opinions. I'm undecided between red or black?, stripe or no stripe? R/T clone? What's your favorite combo? Here are a couple of examples of each that I like.

Attachments

• 0309155_21z+1968_Dodge_Charger+Front_Drivers_Side_View.jpg
    0309155_21z+1968_Dodge_Charger+Front_Drivers_Side_View.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 742
  • 1968-Dodge-Charger-front-three-quarters.JPG.jpg
    1968-Dodge-Charger-front-three-quarters.JPG.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,264
Both cars are awesome. If it was me, I would lean toward the red w/stripe. But you gotta go with what you think fits your style.

Well that's always a fun decision, picking the paint.....If you're like me, you'll go through about 10 colors before finally just pulling the plug on one...lol Red would look sharp, black would look sharp with a matte black bumblebee stripe. Just about went with Ford Performance Red on my Bird:

performance_red_2001_mustang_svt_cobra_5-800-600.jpg

performance_red_2001_mustang_svt_cobra_2-800-600-1.jpg

I like red, But that black on a 68 Charger looks absolutely killer, You need to go with what makes you excited when you see these, like the two you have pictured and its just my opinion that the black is the choice with the two colors you are thinking about. Color and wheel selection is two of the hardest things to deal with on these cars and everyone has a favorite, I would think about the wheels your going to want and try to picture them on both these colors, It may help you decide which one suits what your after.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally i don't care for the scoop on that black one, the factory one looks best.

Thnx guys.
I'm getting to the point where I need to decide it's color and would like some other opinions. I'm undecided between red or black?, stripe or no stripe? R/T clone? What's your favorite combo? Here are a couple of examples of each that I like.

Both equally great choices in my mind. I would absolutely go with a 68 bumble bee stripe as they look awesome IMHO. the black bb stripe on a black car should look cool too. As far as R/T clone goes sure why not and the R/T badges will look really sharp on either color. Red and small chrome accents on a black car really pop. And Red on Red pops too, even on my tired old 68 R/T. I think so anyway.

68 RT Conv signature.jpg68 Conv RT rear deck emblem.jpg

I'm having the same dilema as you trying to pick a color. I have changed my mind 3 times already and am still no closer to a final decision. Was your car an original blue? If I didn't already have a blue RR, that would have been one of my final choices for the Charger. Can't remember if you said you had a fender tag or buildsheet?

Auto Transport Service
Back