• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 Coronet Wagon Driver

Man. This thing is rad.
Thanks whayden. Now the question is if I should try and buff out the oxidation to restore the paint/gloss a bit. She looks awfully dull and dingy.

NO man people try to fake that look all the time. I dig the new motor. And clean interior. Drive it.

When you open that hood to show people they going to be scratching their heads. Love it. My Roadrunner is getting the drive train put back in it and I'm going to drive it before I make it nice. I can't wait to be jamming gears.

I also got the belt line seal issue resolved for the tailgate glass. Took me a while to find a seal I could mount that would cover the large gap between sheet metal and glass.
Great build thread. Could you share what seal you used on the tailgate-to-window sweep?
Thanks,
Ernesto

I bought 6' of this seal from Steele Rubber website.

image.png

Just to be sure is this for the top of the tailgate pinchweld and scrapes the glass as it goes up and down?

That car is BEAUTIFUL! I always liked the look of late '60's and early '70's wagons. When I was a kid in the early '70's our neighbor had a Chrysler wagon with a 440. It hauled ***.
You're an inspiration to me to get after my '70 Coronet 'Bee clone. I'm knee deep in the steering column now, heater core next.

Just to be sure is this for the top of the tailgate pinchweld and scrapes the glass as it goes up and down?

Yes, that is correct. I did end up seeing another wagon that was all original and the outer seal does have a significant gap to the glass. Not sure why they did this from the factory as it allows all rain and debris to pack inside tailgate over time.

That car is BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks Sahara. I too have a Super Bee tribute car my brother and I are restoring. Now that my wagon is back on the road I'm about to start the finish body work and hope to have it ready for paint in the spring.

Thanks EJL that's exactly the issue I have as my 68 has the original seal which is dried out and contributing to rust in the lower tailgate. I will source the clips through the typical Mopar vendors i.e. Clips and Fasteners, R/T Specialties. Again much thanks.

Ernesto

Great job you did on that wagon. I think it would look great buffed out and shiny.

Just to give you an idea of the difference between original seal and the seal I went with, see below.

First pic is original style and see gap between seal and glass. I didn't like this so I went with non original type to help close gap.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

LOVE IT!!!! These Wagons are too cool, I've had the itch to get one for a long time and love the looks of yours :thumbsup:. As for the paint my way of thinking has always been go all the way or not at all. Old patina is old patina and is totally acceptable but an old car with a half *** approach looks like... well... just drive it and enjoy it looks cool the way it is.

Thanks Superfreak and 747Mopar.

Great pics. I have the same gap. You did a great job with you wagon. You must be proud to cruise in it. I too have the patina on mine and it will remain that way for now. I appreciated your build thread and use it for reference.

I bought it from a guy near Cleveland that deals in Mopar cars and parts.

Car looks fantastic! Love the seats, you did a great job. Makes me wish I had kept my brown Coronet.

Car looks fantastic! Love the seats, you did a great job.

I owe a lot of it to you since you were willing to part with the interior seat vinyl, carpet, etc. Thank you kindly. I still haven't gotten around to trying to retrofit the door panels to fit though. Hopefully those turn out just as nice.

Auto Transport Service
Back