• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 TF Transmission - sump pan gasket ?

MFP

Local time
10:10 PM
Reaction score
hi , quick question - I’m looking to replace the sump pan gasket on my BB TF 727 as it’s leaking transmission fluid - just wondered if anyone has used an after market / upgraded gasket ? If so what’s the better type to use and from which supplier please ? Also Which is the correct / better transmission fluid to refill with please ?
My transmission is a Standard no upgrades 727

Many Thanks
Greg

A lot of guys swear that you need one of those steel core neoprene deals or the MP "O-ring" style gasket.... and I am sure that they both will work well. However, you don't need to spend the money. A factory style CORK gasket will work just fine. Make sure that the pan is not deformed and that both mating surfaces are clean. Also, torque the pan bolts to the proper spec, (15 ft-lbs, I think). It has been recommended to me to stay away from aftermarket stamped chrome pans. They are too thin and will deform when you tighten the bolts and the chrome surface does not seal well. Use either a straight original pan or a cast aluminum pan.

BUT FIRST, make sure that it is in fact the pan that is leaking. A local transmission guy recommended that I clean the entire bottom of the transmission with brake or carb cleaner. Then, get some Dr. Scholl's Spray On Foot Powder. Spray the stuff around the pan gasket area, dip stick tube, shifter stud, coolant lines, etc. Let the car run long enough to get up to operating temperature, shut it off, then climb under the car and look for the red fluid. It will be easy to see against the white foot powder.

I lost some of the few remaining hairs that I had left trying to get a pan gasket to seal when it ended up being an O-ring on the rear of the transmission just above the pan where a pilot shaft exits the housing. The fluid would leak past the O-ring, run along the top of the pan toward the front of the car and drip right under where the dip stick tube goes.

Factory type cork gasket works for me.
Agree with RT6PK about other potential leak locations. Also check the neutral safety switch. I had one of those leak.
I use type F ATF.

Mopar gasket 2464324ac for 727. Best gasket for 727 I've used over the years, helps stop leaks, you can't crush it and it is reusable.

DO NOT use grade 8 bolts- they do not stretch at the recommended torque
and
DO NOT overtighten as you will surely warp a stock pan or squish out the gasket
and
DO NOT use ANY SILICONE- hylomar works best
Do check the linkage o ring and the fill o ring and the reverse swithch

Use +4 do not use type F any mopar only in the Band type Ford Cruze a Matic or some Borg Warners type F is way too "dry"
While you could use DEX III Dex III is no longer supported by GM and so there is no quality control anymore -
Chrysler has strict controls on 4+ including the base stock and additive package (although you do not need the anti converter clutch chatter stuff it does not hurt)
and besides +4 is a group III synthetic works better cold- works better hot and very cost effective
the ONLY better fluid is CITGO QuatraSyn made for hd long change cycle fleet use a fully Group IV-V synthetic (google) I'd run it if, for example, if I had to fire up my snowplow Ram dead cold and go to HD work - or in a say taxi where I wanted extreme long life in hot stop and go driving, hd towing etc

To all of your replies - a genuine and big thanks to you all , much appreciated and I'll be ordering accordingly .
Really appreciate all the info and all of you taking time out to reply .
:thumbsup:

that's 12-13 foot pounds
hylomar makes it easy to reuse a cork or fiber gasket- it never hardenes

Reusable pan gasket. Needs longer bolts and torque specs are 125 in-lbs. I have the MOPAR instruction sheet, I've attached it. :)
Tom Hand

fullsizeoutput_4e0e.jpeg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back