• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

a cop car mystery...scooby doo where are you?

BeatersRus

Local time
4:15 AM
Reaction score
so i saw this ad awhile back for a 1975 charger cop car...
when i saw the pics,i was impressed,briefly.
after asking about documentation,
i found out the former sheriff is deceased and theres no paperwork on this car.
soooo,im going to repost the ad and ask anyone here what their opinion is of this being a personal vehicle being used as a town cop car?
seems like they were using him on contract from what Phillip says.

Phillip
Not a state car. It was a local police. Crook police and Logan county sheriff. The vehicle was registered in my grandfathers name. He worked on contract for the town of Crook.
Philip
There is no specific authorization from the town. I don’t have those documents.
Sorry sir that stuff was all done on a handshake. The sheriff at the time Don Bolish provided the lightbar and radio.

Rob
ok,well,ty for your time,ill spread the word but w no paperwork this is a tough one..car looks to be fairly nice too glws
86_828846868_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=7206a8&_nc_ohc=gGmZaiERaIMAX_VPueY&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

Philip
It is and I have papers from the town of crook but I will have to do further checking.

1975 Dodge Charger
Wellington, CO · over a week ago ·
$7,500
  • About This Vehicle
    • Driven 81,185 miles
    • Automatic transmission
    • Exterior color: Gold · Interior color: Tan

This is my grandfathers retired police car. I'm hoping a collector is interested. Stored inside almost its life. It’s has been gone through by a mechanic. See the videos. If you are interested in coming and seeing it I will set up appointments. (You can set up to see the car in Erie.)

086281105408_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=843cd7&_nc_ohc=5iY7v_D20twAX-oDytq&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

never saw a real cop car (police package car) that did not have 4 doors

no way they were stuffing bad guys in the back seat of that thing. looks like a run of the mill 75 SE with some lights slapped on it. that's a 3,000 dollar car at best.

soooo,im going to repost the ad and ask anyone here what their opinion is of this being a personal vehicle being used as a town cop car?
seems like they were using him on contract from what Phillip says.

Small town constables or 'cops' or whatever using their personal vehicles was probably more common than you think it was. My favorite example....
charger_cop_4_800.jpg
Charger_Cop_550.jpg

Nevada Highway Patrol had Camaros and Mustangs mid 70's -up

A few years back, not far from me there was a 66 or 67 Belvedere 2 door cop car for sale minus engine. I saw this car personally. It had all the lights, paintjob, interior had the rifle rack mounted to the dash on the passenger side with the big radio/transmitter. Looked like it was sitting for a long time. I wish I would have bought it.

Ok, that is interesting, and being that I am only a few miles from Wellington where the car is for sale, my first thought it that it was legitimate, and here is why, a little backstory.

I have lived around here my whole life and back in the 70's and 80's, the local police in Wellington used to sit out on the interstate highway and catch speeders, because there were not that many Highway Patrol cars then and when the HP did it, they used aircraft, that's another story for another day. So, we were always warned to slow down when we passed by Wellington because they had lots of speed traps. So, being its a two door, it would not surprise me at all that it was used to catch speeders and issue tickets!

So, with what the owner of the car said, that its from Logan county, I would agree, as the license plate is for Logan County Colorado, which is the city of Sterling and as he mentioned the town of Crook not too far off of interstate 76 so maybe it was used there in a similar fashion as the local Wellington police used to do, just for catching speeders!! Its what they used to do back in the day!

That's my take on it!

The Mustang Police units would qualify, no? I remember our local PD had one, and they were all up and down the freeway when CHP had them. They also had a few Camaros tossed in, 9C1s I think?

The Mustang Police units would qualify, no? I remember our local PD had one, and they were all up and down the freeway when CHP had them. They also had a few Camaros tossed in, 9C1s I think?
OK - I see someone else already mentioned this ... funny thing though, several I saw at the local courthouse were 5 speeds ... (non - A/T)

Nevada Highway Patrol had Camaros and Mustangs mid 70's -up
CHP also used Camaro and Mustang.

Indiana State Troopers have a few 2018 Mustang cars now.

CHP also used Camaro and Mustang.

Indiana State Troopers have a few 2018 Mustang cars now.

I remember in the early 2000's reading through a magazine for ricers/japanese cars when I saw an article about cars used by the police. When the subject of highway patrol cars came up they listed the 4th generation Camaros and Mustangs and basically said "dont even bother trying to outrun these cars, " lol...

I was at a car show in Phoenix a few years back, and a guy had a 68-69 Charger that was his father's police car in Hawaii. He had a storyboard with documents showing that the Hawaii police department paid his lease to Chrysler for 4 years, and he had a build sheet that was written in dark blue crayon "POLARA POLICE ADD". The factory added several items from a Polara Police package to that Charger. At the end of the lease the car was sold and sat in a garage for 30 years, or something like that...…….Mother Mopar used to build whatever was ordered. Mr Norm sort of proved that, and there was a few dealers that had 'connections' at the factory to build weird stuff.

The Javelin had a police package years before there ever was a Mustang or Camaro package. Alabama highway patrol ordered 133 of these, mostly with 401 power. And yes, the package included that rear spoiler and mags..
602707_18890189_1972_AMC_Javelin.jpg

The Javelin had a police package years before there ever was a Mustang or Camaro package. Alabama highway patrol ordered 133 of these, mostly with 401 power. And yes, the package included that rear spoiler and mags..
View attachment 933857
Here is a retired Alabama Trooper Car in Welborn's Museum
20191012_104919.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back