• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Couple of Questions About Your Rear Ends

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:27 AM
Reaction score
I was installing my 8 3/4 third member today. Looked up the torque specs on my phone and the first thing I see is a thread asking about the torque. "A Bodies thread, and the op states that he has broken off two studs at 45 ft. lbs. The rest join in with 35 lbs is fine or just tighten them up! One member stated that 45 lbs is too much for a 3/8" stud. FMS calls for 45 but reading that thread spooked me to use just 35 lbs. Seemed plenty tight enough to me. It's in there!

20170807_195848.jpg

Next Question. How's this pinion play? The gears are dry, just a little WD40. No up and down or in and out play. I'm saying ok.

Again, not what I envisioned, and that's a good thing.
Thought maybe you needed a recommendation on a proctologist Kid:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I just torque them and go, mains, rods and heads are a different story. 45 lbs does seam high but they may be grade 8 studs as well?

I just torque them and go, mains, rods and heads are a different story. 45 lbs does seam high but they may be grade 8 studs as well?
I get that, just tighten them and go. When you have RA like I do, the muscle to brain torque wrench doesn't always work. Useing torque specs is safer.

The back lash looks about the same as mine and I just use my 3/8 impact when I swap third members on my R/T and never have an issue.

I never had an issue torquing the original bolts to spec....The pinion play is normal...

Apply red thread lock, snug them with an impact in a "x" pattern, then torque to 35 lbs/ft in an "x" pattern. If their still the original studs they have been stretched the first time they were torqued at the factory when new. More likely to snap at 45 Lbs/ft now.

I was installing my 8 3/4 third member today. Looked up the torque specs on my phone and the first thing I see is a thread asking about the torque. "A Bodies thread, and the op states that he has broken off two studs at 45 ft. lbs. The rest join in with 35 lbs is fine or just tighten them up! One member stated that 45 lbs is too much for a 3/8" stud. FMS calls for 45 but reading that thread spooked me to use just 35 lbs. Seemed plenty tight enough to me. It's in there!

View attachment 498757

Next Question. How's this pinion play? The gears are dry, just a little WD40. No up and down or in and out play. I'm saying ok.

Here we are in that parallel universe again..... Just did all my differential swap out 3rd member work this past weekend! Actually end play looks to be close to what I have.

Apply red thread lock, snug them with an impact in a "x" pattern, then torque to 35 lbs/ft in an "x" pattern. If their still the original studs they have been stretched the first time they were torqued at the factory when new. More likely to snap at 45 Lbs/ft now.
That makes perfect sense.

I never gave 45lbs torque a second thought until I saw that thread on them breaking! Maybe it was just one guy on the planet, with two left feet, that bench presses 800lbs. but it will make you think for a moment.

Thanks for all of the replies gentleman! :thumbsup:

Snubbing the snubber?
Doubt you need Loctite at all @35-40 ft. lbs. Lube it and roll!
I have to clean and paint the snubber yet.

Here's an interesting find. Each nut had a plastic injection in the side. I wonder if it was done after the factory torqued them? I've seen the plastic injection done on universal joints instead of c clips but didn't know they had the technique back in '62.
20170807_181920.jpg

I've seen the nylocks,dimpled at end,dimpled in the middle,etc but never the ones in your picture.

Auto Transport Service
Back