• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

a904/998 ISSUE

Mr. Magnum

Local time
10:58 AM
Reaction score
OK, here's whatsup. 79 Magnum, 360, a998 ( as far as I know ). This car has basically sat for some years with only a rare occasion to get ran. Bought it in 2021 and now I'm wanted to trade it for another car. I wanted to make sure it's driveable, etc. Had to take it to the license bureau for title inspection. Noticed it seem to rev going from 2nd to high. It shifts into drive from park, park to reverse, 1 to 2 beautifully. Hits 3rd. and it seems to freewheel. Now, throttle pressure rod appears to be as it should. I checked the fluid, and it was low, but off the stick low.
Added fluid which seemed to help some. Added TransX and now it will shift into high, but when I left off the gas, it feels like it's freewheeling, then step back into it and it engages and all's well till I let off again. Downshifting and back into high and all's well.

Any ideas? Reckon it's due to not being driven for years? The guy I got it from drove it home, bought it from an estate sale, so no idea how long it may have sat. After it was purchased his wife was diagnosed with cancer ( 2017 ), and it again, sat till I bought it in '21. It sat here pretty much the 2 years except once I got it running I drove it maybe a mile. A couple "shadetrees" I know seem to think it's just needing ran, since it seems to be correcting itself.

Filter & fluid and servicing might do it? Thoughts?

Didn't we recently have this same issue within the last two weeks? As DVW replied: the front clutch is slipping, probably hard seals. Time to go through the transmission.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back