• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Actors you could never look at the same again...

PlymCrazy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:49 AM
Reaction score
First impression a lasting one?

Seeing some actors for the first time, depending on the role they played, left a lasting stigma that they could never shake in my eyes. And any movie I'd see with them in it afterwards, I had a tough time seeing them differently. Here's a couple actors I can think of that this happened with for me...

Anthony Hopkins as serial killer "Hannibal Lecter" in Silence of the Lambs. As much as he tried playing other roles, I always found myself distrusting him when he played any other type of character. In fact, this was so bad for me that I could never watch another full movie with him in it.

1695733683518.png

Another one is Kurtwood Smith, who many of us know as "Red Forman" on That 70's Show. I first saw him as "Clarence Boddicker" in RoboCop when I was 13 years old. He played a criminal who fatally attacked a police officer. The imagery of that scene left quite an impact on me to say the least. He, too, can't shake that first impression I got of him when I saw him play that role.

1695735131722.png

Can any of you relate? Which actor/actress did this happen to with you? What role was it that did them in?

Speaking of Silence Of The lambs, the guy who played Buffalo Bill and the lady who was in the pit.
Ned Beatty when he was in Deliverance.

George C. Scott, as Patton...
Sean Connery, as 007, and later as the Capt in "Hunt for Red October"...

Even though Michael Keaton had a long career afterwards, I found it difficult to take him seriously after seeing him for the first time in "Johnny Dangerously".

...and I still say "iceholes" and "farging bastages".

The whole family weirds me out. John Voight and his deranged daughter Angelina and who could forget her brother james..........
1695738944054.png
1695739198949.png

After seeing a few client lists of Jeffrey Epstien, you'd change your opinion on several actors.

Haven't been able to take Jim Carrey seriously in any role since Fire Marshall Bill.

1695752756785.png

Too many I could list...reason I guess why some actors fear being type-cast. Seem to remember eons ago, George Reeves I think it was, who played Superman in the 1950's series. Story went he was depressed not finding another acting job and killed himself. But, a whole lot of controversy about his cause of death, never verified.

Any actor that gets on a pulpit and takes a social stand on a matter that is in opposition to my core beliefs is HARD for me to look past.

Haven't been able to take Jim Carrey seriously in any role since Fire Marshall Bill.

View attachment 1530755
He was a funny guy but his off screen antics is what ruined it for me... I enjoyed his other movies. If all of Hollywood actors disappeared tomorrow, it would not bother me one bit.. There are plenty of other things to do or watch.

Yeah, actors should keep their political views to themselves. Recall this crap began when Marlon Brando had an Indian gal accept his award for him for the Godfather, refusing to attend to make a ‘statement’. Heard John Wayne was quite irate.

At a friggin AWARD ceremony, one of many held annually, where all these Hollywood elites rub each other’s asses, party-hearty, and they take THIS opportunity to spew their stances on anything, rather than simply accepting their ******* award, say thank you to their mother, and all the others who made it possible. And the audience’s of these shows have been dwindling? Hmm, wonder why?

John Wayne - after all the crap I read about him and avoiding the war, while other stars went and did their part. Then he has the gall to go and play the lead in many war movies.....

I grew up watching him - almost every sunday with my pops.

After I read an article I read even more how most of the leading men in hollywood hated him for his actions. They went to war, did their part in a variety of ways (some as bonds salesmens more than anything) and he stayed home and grabbed up all the leading roles. He requested exemption on family dependency.....never mind him and his family were already quite wealthy.

Any actor that gets on a pulpit and takes a social stand on a matter that is in opposition to my core beliefs is HARD for me to look past.

He was a funny guy but his off screen antics is what ruined it for me...

Yeah, actors should keep their political views to themselves. Recall this crap began when Marlon Brando had an Indian gal accept his award for him for the Godfather, refusing to attend to make a ‘statement’. Heard John Wayne was quite irate.

At a friggin AWARD ceremony, one of many held annually, where all these Hollywood elites rub each other’s asses, party-hearty, and they take THIS opportunity to spew their stances on anything, rather than simply accepting their ******* award, say thank you to their mother, and all the others who made it possible. And the audience’s of these shows have been dwindling? Hmm, wonder why?

John Wayne - after all the crap I read about him and avoiding the war, while other stars went and did their part. Then he has the gall to go and play the lead in many war movies.....

After I read an article I read even more how most of the leading men in hollywood hated him for his actions. They went to war, did their part in a variety of ways (some as bonds salesmens more than anything) and he stayed home and grabbed up all the leading roles. He requested exemption on family dependency.....never mind him and his family were already quite wealthy.

It wasn't until after I started this thread that I saw the potential for this road block. But I understand.
I was just thinking along the lines of "a role they played in the past on screen and how it affected how you view them in roles they may have played at a later time".
I think it's safe to say for me that most folks in Hollywood don't jive with my core morals, values and beliefs. So I just budget for that.
But I will say it can and will ruin it if I know too much about a particular stance they take that is contrary to what I believe.
It's difficult, if not down right impossible, to separate this.

With that said...carry on :thumbsup:

It wasn't until after I started this thread that I saw the potential for this road block. But I understand.
I was just thinking along the lines of "a role they played in the past on screen and how it affected how you view them in roles they may have played at a later time".
I think it's safe to say for me that most folks in Hollywood don't jive with my core morals, values and beliefs. So I just budget for that.
But I will say it can and will ruin it if I know too much about a particular stance they take that is contrary to what I believe.
It's difficult, if not down right impossible, to separate this.

With that said...carry on :thumbsup:
To me it's harder to separate an actor from who they are in REAL life verses than what they are appearing to be for money...

To me it's harder to separate an actor from who they are in REAL life verses than what they are appearing to be for money...
Agreed. I have no interest in hearing what any of them have to say. They're actors, not my mentors. In fact, I intentionally avoid listening to them off screen if I can help it. But I can't get around "hearing it around the water cooler" or from a friend.

wasn't until after I started this thread that I saw the potential for this road block. But I understand.
I hear ya, have a tendency to pluck things from my head on a topic that can run a post off the rails. Not guilty all the time, following other’s lead, but I’m guilty on my own, lol.

There are many actors, mostly watching them as kid, who went on to have other roles, where I couldn’t forget what characters, they played. Among them was Barry Newman – Kowalski in Vanishing Point, later playing a lawyer in a short life-span series. Lol, I’d wait to see what ride he might drive hoping it was a Challenger.

Robert Conrad from the WW-West I liked to watch on Friday nights. Came in from playing outside all day long to watch it – well the first half, as Star Trek came on at 7 and my dad wanted to watch it; liked that show too, so got to watch the 2nd half of WWW when it was out in reruns. Conrad later playing ‘bad’ guy on Mannix and Mission Impossible. Just couldn’t forget his hero guy role being a fan of Jim West.

Auto Transport Service
Back