• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air compressor Question

Endangered Species

Local time
2:39 AM
Reaction score
I am needing a larger Compressor. I know I can't go too big when it comes to compressors how ever I really don't have the budget to spend $1000.00 plus on a new 2 stage unit.

I'll be using a lot of air tools and spraying paint. My question is this.

1) Is a two stage compressor nessasary to spray paint? Can I get away with a single stage?
2) What kind of CFM@ 90PSI should I be looking for?
3) Can I get away with a 60 gallon or do I need a 80? (the bigger they are the more room they take up).

Thanks

Kevin

I use a single stage Sanborn upright 60 gallon 220 volt air compresor here. As far as Im concerned it works great, not real noisy, never breaks down, didnt cost a whole lot, can paint and blast with it easily, never seems to run down on air when in constant use. And it been used hard at times. My friend has one of those two stage 1800.00 units and its maybe a little better on air makeup but rattles your ears when running, cant stand the sound of it. Definetly dont go with the oil less kind, they wear fast and are loud. Maybe that helps.

Ditto, I have a 60 gallon 220 compressor oil type and it works great. I think I paid $780.00 for it at the local Rural King store.

When I bought a large IR I thought I needed a 2 stage. So I got a 2 stage 180 psi total - 16cfm@90psi rated compressor and I am still waiting for it when I am sanding. Painting is no problem.

I am not certain but I think I should have gotten a single stage more CFM compressor and it would have been better. I dont need the high PSI that a 2 stage provides but I DO need a lot of CFM to do the work.

I should have searched for the most CFM that I could get at 90 PSI and then I may have been happier. Than 16 CFM at 90 PSI. at 180psi total is decent. But it is the CFM that does the work.

Last edited:
I just bought a Kobalt 80 Gal single stage at Lowes for $800 more or less. It's been working fine, and it's a replacement for a similar one I got about 10 years ago. Had to order a replacement shut off valve but it was covered under warranty and they helped me easily. If you're a vet and show them ID, you get a 10% discount, so that helped a lot. I paint, sand blast, etc, and its been working fine. Does start up and run while I'm blasting or blowing, but I'd recommend it

Look on craigslist for any compressors that have their CFM listed. If someone knows enough about compressors to list the CFM (and you can verify it), there's a good chance they probably also took care of it. I searced for "cfm compressor" and after a couple of months, wound up buying a Bel-Aire 220V 7.5 HP 80 gal 32 CFM for $750. That's less than the 10CFM units new at Lowes.

I couldn't be happier, and it makes a huge difference in sandblasting and in running more than one tool at once.

I have to give props to fellow member "Donny" for giving me an education on blasting and the need for CFM.

Hey guys Thanks! You've been a big help. CFM trumps two stage. Thats what I needed to know.
I've been looking on Craigslist and found a few, but been so busy with work I haven't had time to follow up. Not to mention I wasn't sure if I wanted to hold out for a two stage or if a good single stage would work.

Who has the quietest compressors?

Auto Transport Service
Back