• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And so it begins..... my new garage

Was thinking the same thing . . . the toys and the Chevy as used for "testing" before you even think about putting the Charger up on the lift - Smart Man ! ! !

Looks great, lift appears to be a heavy duty unit. What brand is it?

Looks great, lift appears to be a heavy duty unit. What brand is it?
Worth, one of the few American made lifts I could find. One of the members asked about the install so I'll do a small thread on it for all the guys looking at a lift.

Someone asked about the installation so I'll do my best but since I hadn't planned on posting it I didn't take pics before it was already up.

The lift came in 5 pieces with a box of hardware (the 2 post with pump assembly already mounted, the 2 top extensions and the crossbar). The box had the equalizing cables, 3/4" wedge anchors, safety cable and the hardware for mounting the crossbar. 2 people can set the post up but more is better, once you get them standing it's pretty easy to install the rest by yourself..... I had scaffolding that really helped.

This pic shows how to lay it out, the most important thing in the whole installation in my opinion is positioning correctly lol. For me this meant positioning it for the longest most offset thing you'll ever lift like a mega cab diesel truck where all the weight is upfront. Fortunately I have a friend that's very familiar with lifting trucks and drives an extended cab, 8 ft bed, Duramax dually (22 ft long) to give me pointers. After determining post location you just do the old 3 4 5 method of squaring a centerline to the wall (I did 6 8 10 for more accuracy). The instructions want you to draw a rectangle going off of the centerline to give you the parameter to sit the lift in (red in pic).

20170106_230940.jpg

Fortunately we have a nice hammer drill that makes light work of 7/8" holes.:thumbsup:

20170107_180940.jpg

Yes the wedge anchors would do just fine but having a lot of experience anchoring violent equipment to concrete I know what really works. Everywhere I've used this stuff it has outlasted the bolt itself. Using this requires drilling the holes an 1/8' oversized and cleaning the holes well. It's a good idea to install the studs (I bought grade 5 all thread) with the post either shimmed up enough to be able to reach under it or with it removed. The epoxy will push out of the holes and making a mess so it's best to be able to clean the excess up.

20170108_203450.jpg

Another trick to a rock solid install is grout. I used an epoxy grout that can be mixed to suite your needs (thick or runny). I just blocked the post up high enough to get the grout under then after removing the blocks started snugging the nuts until it was perfectly level and walked away.

20170108_214003.jpg

You want to go around the legs with a putty knife before the epoxy sets and cut the extra away.... trust me you don't want to chisel this stuff off!

20170108_213953.jpg
20170107_180940.jpg

I'll get some pics soon to show the assembly.

Here's the rest of the pics, pretty simple. Bolt the tops on, bolt on the crossbar, feed the cables and snug them up... that's really all there is to it.

20170116_211803.jpg

Here's where the cables fasten, both cables go up over the crossbar then down around a pulley at the bottom then attached to the carriage only opposite to each other. Literally a 15 min job.

20170116_211826.jpg

Here's the bottom pulley.

20170116_211900.jpg

Hope these help, don't know how much difference there is from one lift to another but this one was extremely easy to setup.

My brothers is a little different. The top is open and the cable runs across the floor with a steel plate covering it. We moved it to his new pole barn in early June. Good timing too. As we were pulling it apart we found one of the cables has just started to fray. He bought a new set when he put it back up. He now has also bought a four post lift that can be bolted in or it can be moved around with some roller attachments. Sorry no pics right now.

My brothers is a little different. The top is open and the cable runs across the floor with a steel plate covering it. We moved it to his new pole barn in early June. Good timing too. As we were pulling it apart we found one of the cables has just started to fray. He bought a new set when he put it back up. He now has also bought a four post lift that can be bolted in or it can be moved around with some roller attachments. Sorry no pics right now.
I believe the advantage with those is you don't need a ridiculously high ceiling where mine requires almost 13 ft.

You will LOVE having a lift. I have found the only problem now is I refuse to squirm around on the floor to fix stuff anymore!

You will LOVE having a lift. I have found the only problem now is I refuse to squirm around on the floor to fix stuff anymore!
I'm getting that feeling already:thumbsup:. It's funny that when I first started planning this garage I wasn't even considering a lift but thanks to FBBO it was the first thing I bought. I honestly thought they were for the rich:rolleyes: but they really aren't expensive at all.... I was surprised. Thanks FBBO for making life that much lazier... easier.

Great looking setup you got there!

Great looking setup you got there!
Thanks, I'm chomping at the bit to start splattering the walls with high impact Mopar colors and building benches, shelves......:).

20170123_203040.jpg

20170123_203051.jpg

I've been delaying saying this until I thoroughly looked things over but I'm a bit bent over the Worth lift. It's not a huge deal but they screwed up and basically don't want to make it right, 1 side is definitely 3/4" higher that the other. He tried to blame it on the supplier of they're pre cut tubes making poor out of square cuts but they checked out so the fault rest with them. That 3/4" is the difference between the arms swinging under my car and having to jack it up so it's a big deal to me and really erks me. Seeing that he wasn't going to do anything about it my dad tackled it and got it squared away.

The pic was just a test fit, it was cleaned up and fitted for a full penetration weld before finishing it up. He also came back later and bevelled the shoulder for a nicer look.

I understand why it erks you. I'd be pissed. Fixing it will yield less stress over a bad situation even though you shouldn't have had the problem in the first place.

I haven't quit just not a lot of notable progress lately, insulation and wiring are done other than wiring some outside lights. With a lot of beautiful weather I've been building a retaining wall and cleaning the place up for planting grass come spring. The wall wasn't done in the pics but is now, wish I would have taken a picture of the backfill.... so much stone out here I back filled the whole wall with junk rock turned up while cleaning up:(. Very happy with the loft, it's only about 5'6" but opened up a ton of space for storage that otherwise would have been wasted. I'll likely build a ladder and a counterweighted set of stairs for access... maybe a fireman pole too:thumbsup:.

Springs coming fast and I'll be sidetracked with the 24X24 addition in no time.

20170306_203142.jpg
20170226_224440.jpg
20170305_204727.jpg
20170305_170642.jpg
20170220_175401.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back