• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And so it begins..... my new garage

Some may like others won't but trying something different. With money tight and the cost being a bit steep to install a metal ceiling I came across some very old barn roofing and thought hmmmm, patina?? I've always liked the old look, walking into an old building turned into a nice shop with age and patina here and there and thought why not? I'll be installing this for a ceiling and it cost nearly nothing. What do you Think?
IMG-20170326-WA0002.jpeg

Not knocking it at all, it will probably look cool. When I installed my ceiling, it was a painted white aluminum sheeting. Very light and easy to put up. The biggest thing I noticed about putting it up was the reflection of light. It brightened up my shop immensely. I was going to use plywood but due to the building structure, aluminum was required by spec. At first I was disappointed because of cost, but in the end it was a great addition. I was very surprised at the difference it made.

I like it, I think there's a stack of old corrugated roofing out in our barn, that's giving me a couple of ideas. Only detriment I can think of is lack of light reflection. You might have to add more lighting in some places.

I agree with both of you, we'll see. As of right now I have good lighting with only the paper backing of the insulation. I'll paint the walls with something bright but really don't like white, maybe a light grey?

I like it and think the outcome will look great - can't wait to see it !

Well if it's terrible I'll just paint it:thumbsup:. Thinking about using some for the bottom 3ft of the wall too, tie it together a bit?

Good thing is whoever installed the roof that the panels came from only nailed the seams meaning no extra holes.

Well if it's terrible I'll just paint it:thumbsup:. Thinking about using some for the bottom 3ft of the wall too, tie it together a bit?

Good thing is whoever installed the roof that the panels came from only nailed the seams meaning no extra holes.
That would look pretty cool, maybe have a light colored ceiling and use the roofing as a kind of wainscoting along the bottom.

I think it will look great and putting around the bottom of the walls will be the perfect touch. I am sure you will be very pleased with the outcome. Can't wait to see it.

Finally some notable work getting done... Finally. I've got about half of the ceiling done and boy am I feeling it!!! Fighting old roofing into a 1/2" opening in F channel while supporting 10ft of it is quite the workout. It's actually nice to work with, all the sun over the years has made it very malleable to hammer out and cut.

Also found some cool tile marked down at Lowes that looks like rough sawn planks. Plus in the same picture you can see the acid stained floor I've been experimenting with.
20170402_105440.jpg
20170402_154441.jpg

Lookin good! We've used recycled corrigated metal for ceilings and wainscoting before. I think it looks cool. There is a guy down the road from me that built a new shop that has weathering steel for the siding. Brand new designed to rust, for appearance. Crazy.

Finally some notable work getting done... Finally. I've got about half of the ceiling done and boy am I feeling it!!! Fighting old roofing into a 1/2" opening in F channel while supporting 10ft of it is quite the workout. It's actually nice to work with, all the sun over the years has made it very malleable to hammer out and cut.

Also found some cool tile marked down at Lowes that looks like rough sawn planks. Plus in the same picture you can see the acid stained floor I've been experimenting with.View attachment 410011 View attachment 410012
You vent stack looks awful close to your closet flange?

You vent stack looks awful close to your closet flange?
Already had a toilet on it, it's good. After looking again I think that's just a loose pipe sitting on the floor in the picture.... pretty sure.

What are your plans for the side walls?
Pretty sure I'm doing drywall although I may do a wainscoat in the rustic metal as well. I don't know if you've seen all the pictures as I went but this is built into a bank so about half of the garage has 6ft block walls and the rest 1 coarse above the pad so if I do the wainscoat it will only be 1 wall. I'd like it all metal inside but don't really care for the way it looks.

Last edited:
20170412_221358.jpg
Lack of time has been killing progress but my ceiling will be done tonight. Next will be painting the woodwork and staining-sealing the floor before drywall starts going up.

Here's my latest purchase for the garage, I hate dumping money into a garage stereo but found this on Craiglist for $150. It's a Technics home stereo, 260W speakers and amplifier:thumbsup:. Stopped in at Radioshack and picked up a Bluetooth transmitter so I can stream music from my phone and a Wi-Fi amplifier so hopefully I can now get Pandora with the doors closed.

Another project I'll be doing is a gaming system.... no I'm not a video game nerd!! We brought 2 more kids into the house and I'm having a hard time dedicating a lot of time for my boy so the plan is....

Make plates to mount bucket seats to the 2 post lift arms, mount a projector under the support beam, install the Xbox and tie it all into the new stereo. My boy loves playing Halo with his dad so this will be badass, huge picture, thunderous sound affects and another use for the lift. We'll likely spend our late afternoons goofing off in the garage and hopefully get him working on cars too.

Last edited:
Sounds like your garage is turning into a new living room. Better be careful might make it to nice then you'll need to build a garage to actually work in

Auto Transport Service
Back