• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And so it begins..... my new garage

Run stairs up the back wall. Put a utility sink under them along with the work bench. Keep a bathroom upstairs. Kids will need it more up there anyway.

Major brain fart.... there is no upstairs above the back wall!!!! The upstairs is 24X32, makes that decision easy. Think I'll put in a ladder but use the outside entrance for moving parts in.

Tried to lay a few blocks last night but a nasty storm rolled in and wasted a batch of morter:BangHead:. Aggrevating as hell, I'm well aware of the seasons in Ohio which is why I started when I did but that damn excavator pushed everything back a month, now it's nearly Oct when rain is frequent:(. Looks like the weather is going to be shitty for the next few days but I'll look for a window to get some more block down. The goal at this point is to pour the floor next weekend making it easier to setup scaffolding and get this thing under roof. I'll get the electric company out asap now that the excavating is done and get the poll set with the security light so I have power to run everything. Gonna be a rough road but it will be under roof before the snow flies.

It's been hard to get anything done this summer, with rain every 3-4 days. I've recorded over 27 inches since the end of April. It's too bad that moral support is about the only thing I can offer.

Scaffolding? Are you blocking the entire first story?
Hell no, I'd never get done lol. It'll just make framing a 13 ft tall wall and putting the floor in easier, thinking about putting them on casters? Second floor will only be 8ft so it should be easy.

I just built them in sections on the ground and tilted them up. Then I strung the top plate and straightened the wall as I nailed off the top plate. Most days working by myself with help on some weekends. Way easier that dinking around with scaffolding IMO.

You can check out mine here....
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89292.0.html

Last edited:
I just built them in sections on the ground and tilted them up. Then I strung the top plate and straightened the wall as I nailed off the top plate. Most days working by myself with help on some weekends. Way easier that dinking around with scaffolding IMO.

You can check out mine here....
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89292.0.html
Thanks, I did the same when I built my house (built the walls in sections) just not sure about crawling around 13ft up??? We'll see how it goes, I'll check out your thread.

Just don't fall......lol. We worked off extension ladders which worked well.

Just caught up again on the last few pages...great progress so far. Good luck with the weather while you prep for the roof to go on. :thumbsup:

I used scaffolding and walk boards so I could walk all of the way around the walls. very useful.

More playing in the mud, getting old quick! After 3 days of rain I decided to lay some block but got dumped on shortly after mixing a batch, rain quit so I tried again..... rain again... and again... and again. Woke up to a beautiful sunny day and got right after it..... kids come out begging to go to the fair (last day of the fair):BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:. Off we go...

Here's a pic of my wonderful work conditions, I can't even express how glad I'll be to pour the floor!

20161001_000232.jpg

More playing in the mud, getting old quick! After 3 days of rain I decided to lay some block but got dumped on shortly after mixing a batch, rain quit so I tried again..... rain again... and again... and again. Woke up to a beautiful sunny day and got right after it..... kids come out begging to go to the fair (last day of the fair):BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:. Off we go...

Here's a pic of my wonderful work conditions, I can't even express how glad I'll be to pour the floor!

View attachment 363616
YIKES!!!!!!! Maybe you need to look into renting a huge tent!

View attachment 357090[/QUOTE]
Major brain fart.... there is no upstairs above the back wall!!!! The upstairs is 24X32, makes that decision easy.

Duh..... yeah I forgot that your second floor didn't go all the way back. Sorry about that. So utility sink, workbench on the back wall. Stairs or lift on the side opposite of the second floor outside door.

Man I was on a roll after getting home from the fair, laid 2 skids of block (110)! I'm liking these rebar blocks other than being harder to handle with the narrow web facing down giving little to grip on.

Here's some pics of the rebar block loaded with rebar and pinned to the footer. I'd prefer to put all the rebar to the inside of the block where it needs to be but they have to overlap so it makes sense to overlap them by putting one on the inside and one on the outside then alternate as you go up.

20161001_191004.jpg

20161001_190904.jpg

20161001_190952.jpg

20161001_190859.jpg

Last edited:
Man I was on a roll after getting home from the fair, laid 2 skids of block! I'm liking these rebar blocks other than being harder to handle with the narrow web facing down giving littleView attachment 363766 View attachment 363767 View attachment 363768 View attachment 363769 S,o far I'm fending off my back giving me fits by working smart, I mix a batch, dump it on a piece of plywood then set it on top of the wheelbarrow for a nice working height and lots of stretching.... herniate mmd discs suck!

Here's some pics of the rebar block loaded with rebar and pinned to the footer. I'd prefer to put all the rebar to the inside of the block but they have to overlap so it's makes sense to overlap them by putting one inside and one outside then alternate as you go up.
Looking good pal, nice block work! Been there done that, and have two t shirts.

Evidently I need to proof read post that I do from my phone....wow that last post was a mess but I fixed it all. The day after laying 2 skids....... I'm hurting:(........ muscles not my back so it's all good. Headed out to get laying again.

Back wall is done:thumbsup:. My boy decided to give it a try, not to bad for his first time.

20161002_191035.jpg

20161002_191052.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back