• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

And so it begins..... my new garage

Good luck with the progress on the new digs. I just caught up on the thread, sounds like some frustrations but also progress. I like the change to the 2 story incorporating the hill into play, it's sounds like it'll be a blast.

Just realized I never posted a misery shot so here's a pic of a premo footer ready for block followed by an absolute mess! Of coarse it's mostly all cleaned up now but you can imagine the frustration and it wasn't just once either. A valuable lesson was learned though, even 2 days after the concrete was poured you do not, do not, put your hands in the poopy water! Woke up with both hands swollen and red after cleaning the mess up! I hate this part of the process!

20160907_175602.jpg

20160909_163912.jpg

Last edited:
Just realized I never posted a misery shot so here's a pic of a premo footer ready for block followed by an absolute mess! Of coarse it's mostly all cleaned up now but you can imagine the frustration and it wasn't just once either. A valuable lesson was learned though, even 2 days after the concrete was poured you do not, do not, put your hands in the poopy water! Woke up with both hands swollen and red after cleaning the mess up! I hate this part of the process!

View attachment 361534

View attachment 361535
I know exactly what you mean. Such a mess. While building ours, I rented a trencher to bury the electric lines. We dug the trench on Saturday, had a downpour that night, spent all day Sunday redigging the trench with a spade. The electricians were scheduled for Monday morning to connect the breaker box to the meter on the pole about 150 feet away. Sticky heavy mud, such great memories.

Think I'm finally moving forward. With a whole week of good weather in the forecast I rented a trash pump and sucked it dry, shoveled the muck out then started laying block while it dried up. Today I rented a really nice backhoe so I'll get the rest of the block in the hole laid and backfilled ending the water issues for good. I'm understanding why I had problems with my excavator now after running a nice hoe, unbelievable difference in speed and workability. My good friend (awesome operator) is coming down Sunday to do the finer work but with the way this hoe runs I expect to have this mess all cleaned up by Sunday no problem.

The real dilemma has been life as a father of 2 little ones, Soccer practice one day, Softball the next then soccer games followed by Softball games...... wouldn't trade it for the world but combined with 50+ hours at work a week time is very limited. My answer..... hauled the generator out along with a couple halogen lights and work till 1:00 AM, nobody needs you in the middle of the night and it's so much cooler haha.

Good to hear that you finally got a break in the weather so you can get started on the blocks . . . can't wait to see the progress ! !

As always . . . you always focus on your family first - They're very lucky to have such a great dad ! !

Great to hear you're making some progress. No soccer or baseball nowadays. Son's getting married today. I know what you mean about the condition of equipment, we've got an old Deere backhoe that's loose as a goose, but it beats the hell out of using a shovel.

I could have gotten a better one but the guy doing it is an ex Marine (door knocker in Iraq) that's seen more than one should. Paying my respect I guess you could call it, good guy just bites off more than he can chew at times.

Here's the progress as of Sat, footers have all been back filled with #57 river gravel and the yard raked and seaded. I think I'll lay one more row of block around the bottom side then start laying the rebar block on the upper side.

20160925_183544.jpg

Been playing around with the layout. Being only 32X34 I want to use the space the best I can so you'll notice the support post is gone and I'm planning on using the area above the bathroom as a compressor room? Here's my thoughts on deleting the post, I can either build a trussed beam out of wood for next to nothing or buy a 16" I beam that can also serve as a trolley for pulling motors? Another thought is putting the bathroom upstairs, saves floor space but really don't like the idea of going upstairs everytime I have wash my hands or use the restroom. I think this is the layout I'm going with though, all open with a bathroom and workbench on the remaining wall........ still debating on whether or not to put in stairs, ladder, fold down stairs???

20160928_145530.jpg

I think the I beam would serve as more functional. Definitely keep the bathroom on the main level you will want easy access to the sink.

I know stairs take up space but you have to think about stuff you will be bringing up and down they definitely make more sense than a ladder.

Needs a Kraken shelf too!

Outside saves room but he will have outside access from the second level entrance he plans from the rock face behind. I also wouldn't want to deal with lugging parts, tools up and down icy stairs in the winter months when you will have a decent heated space. Just try to maximize the space under the stairwell or the fold down steps if it's feasible

I do more hauling things up and down in the other 8 months than winter. Having them outside freed up the floorspace (you can't get enuf) and allowed me to build the stairs 4' wide for big items. I can also get a 24' long piece of tubing in and out easily. Try doing that inside! I'm way too old to be using a fold up Ladder. If he's got access through a second level, I sure wouldn't waste the space ith stairs.

It's a tough call, because of the layout the outside entrance is a good 100ft walk around the bank and up the rock but I can always shuttle parts up there with the UTV. If I can come up with a space saving way to put them inside I will but I'm not seeing it. Maybe I could get an elevator off of RC LOL.

Good to see you're making progress. An indoor stairway is hard to beat for convenience, I use the space underneath to store my welders and torch. I also use the bottoms of the steps to hang painted pieces to dry. A stiationary I-beam with a hoist would be handy for lifting things, not the ideal tool for pulling an engine, less maneuverable than an engine hoist. As far as where to put a bathroom, I guess it would come down to how often you think you would use it. I usually just walk out the door and go around the corner, one of the perks of country living. Looks like you've got a great start, can't wait to see more pictures. That's a pretty cool idea of the ramp to the 2nd floor.

Auto Transport Service
Back