• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody know PA labor laws?

The not so tall man

Local time
4:35 AM
Reaction score
The company I work for is supposed to be handing out bad news soon.

Pay and or hour cuts with the possibility of both.

Its a new owner and it sounds like they are trying to get rid of the old $$$ guys for new cheap labor.

If a company says you are now going to make X$

Can you refuse? If you refuse is that viewed as quiting or being fired?

If you are like me and paid into the system for 18 years (at just this job) can you collect any unemployment and under what grounds?

If the company looks like it might be going under or really downsizing, take the cuts and look for other work in the meantime.
Find out what your chances are for them keeping you on. Some companies want to keep the more experienced employees, some want to get rid of the higher paid employees.
In my case, they weeded out the higher paid. And the ones that cost them more for the health insurance. That's us old farts!
They can pretty much do what they want now days. If you're laid off, you can get unemployment. If you're fired you won't receive benifits. Play it cool and good luck!

Yeah "They can pretty much do what they want now days" ....I wonder why its like that ??

I know PA is a right to work state so they can pretty much do what they need to for the sake of the business.

I always hate to hear these kind of stories. Unfortunately you are at the mercy of the company. If they are losing money it's hard to even present a case. Good luck!

If the company looks like it might be going under or really downsizing, take the cuts and look for other work in the meantime.
Find out what your chances are for them keeping you on. Some companies want to keep the more experienced employees, some want to get rid of the higher paid employees.
In my case, they weeded out the higher paid. And the ones that cost them more for the health insurance. That's us old farts!
They can pretty much do what they want now days. If you're laid off, you can get unemployment. If you're fired you won't receive benifits. Play it cool and good luck!

I agree with Khryslerkid,
take the cut and look for another job if you have to. It's easier to find a job when you have one than it is when you don't .
Hey if a company is losing money they have to cut cost. Sometimes we agree with where they cut and sometimes we don't. At least they are trying to keep you.

cant really help but...
I know you guys seem to hate unions but this is exactly what their for , to protect the little guy from being screwed by the company . we have "unfair dismissal laws" and "job security" over here thanks to union pressure on employers . (read no illegals taking your job because they work cheaper) :thumbsup:

cant really help but...
I know you guys seem to hate unions but this is exactly what their for , to protect the little guy from being screwed by the company . we have "unfair dismissal laws" and "job security" over here thanks to union pressure on employers . (read no illegals taking your job because they work cheaper) :thumbsup:
Sure,they hate unions until times like these. Would you (not you poly) buy a company not doing well? That company i would bet is doing ok but the new guys aint satisfied,they want a bigger profit margin so guess who takes it were the sun don't shine? The thing is union or not workers can still get laid off but with the union the company would be more or less forced to lay you off and you'll be eligible for unemployment. They way it is now maybe not. Im truly sorry to hear your in this situation,its just another story about how this country is continuing to spiral downwards. I can only hope he new president can reverse this,but I'm pessimistic about that

cant really help but...

YEP , we will get blasted here I'm sure and thats OK , but this is the reason we need unions. But those days are gone, union membership is less than 10%, company profits at all time highs and employee pay at a stand still for decades. If you have an employer that is fair with you God bless you, but a lot of your brothers are taking it where the sun don't shine.

I live in a right to work state. That said, we are union at our factory. The company puts up with it only because the big bakeries are very strong union.They wouldn't touch the sugar otherwise.

Very sorry to hear about your situation and hopefully it does not happen to you.

I agree with the ones that stated, "Take the cut and look for another job." At least that way you retain your benefits and a higher rate of pay vs unemployment pay.

As far as unions or no union rants......Guys we are overpopulated with people willing to work at half of your pay rate! How about crying about job creation than the latter?

Guys we are overpopulated with people willing to work at half of your pay rate!

And a good Union prevents that from happening.

Guys we are overpopulated with people willing to work at half of your pay rate!

And a good Union prevents that from happening.
Sounds "Good" but not true in all respects......

Hypothetically speaking you have a "good" union that makes all the employees "happy." However, the employer is continually squeezed over and over and it turn to keep up with rising business costs, taxes, employer providing insurance costs, benefits(401k, etc.). The business in question raises the costs of its products and services and that is placed all on the consumer. What "good" comes from that?

I am not pro or against unions...I am neutral

I am for job creation solely! Create a market where the employer is dependent on the employee and these situations will be less......At one time in this country it was that way.

Then if the union is squeezing the employer to the point of bankruptcy, then it's not a good Union. All that should be discussed during negotiations. Most recently would be the UAW negotiations. It took some time but the UAW also realized in order to survive, the corporation has to survive. Now back to the OP. I don't know why his wages and such are being cut, but a good Union can prevent any unfairness as well. If it's because the company was being sold and the new guy just wants a bigger profit margin, What good does that do him after 18 yrs. of service and a life style that has already been determined? The key word in all of this is a good Union.

A good business owner or executives can also provide the same. These are also not a rare occurrence.

Next we can discuss bad unions..... It is a topic with no end....

So create jobs, period!

I feel for people in this situation...
It's hard on management & owners too, or could be...

It's not easy to fire or let people go after a takeover or sale,
there's 2 sides to the story, sometimes many more...
Maybe it was to save the company ?
or stave off bankruptcy or something else ?
at-least save some jobs ?...
I don't really know particulars, to the reasons why...

I'll play devils advocate...

This will end up in the political forum the way it's going...
At-least we all can speak freely & honestly, without causing a ruckus...

Unions have closed just as many companies &
has forced or lost as many jobs for states & companies, employees
as any other reasons...

Economics 101, not an anti-Union rant...
It's simple economics, investors or stock holder, need to be paid & shown a profit,
the owners needs to make a reasonable profit, or why even stay in business...

{the not so tall man, don't take this the wrong way, it's not meant to offend}
Some conveniently forget that, an owner has the rights to run the business with-in
the appr. labor laws, the way they chose to, hire & fire who they chose to...
Some employees only think about themselves, their paychecks etc.,
no loyality to the company or the owners/stock holders/investors either...
It goes both way, it's better than the company closing because Union labor &
many other costs, people who are merely employees don't know about or care about, seeming make them {the corp.} economically uncompetitive etc....
If the company can't be profitable, the company won't last Union or not...

That's reality...

If people don't like it, than start your own business,
actually see how hard the reality really is, to employ people, it's a complex thing
it's not just about collecting a personal paycheck, a ton more to factor in here...
What about the life of the businesses, not just the employees,
not just the lost revenues of employees, it lost taxes to the
county/city/state, real-estate etc., the owners investor/stock holder rights ?

IMO unless we all know the whole story, all the specific,
see the books & why it was sold & why the downsizing or
the possibly need in the changes in labor forces,
economics, updating etc., than we'll never know...

ok back to the rants

Last edited:
Some unions were corrupt and some did make running a company not profitable. Now thats a plain fact of life like it or not,but human nature being what it is, it is expected. The truth is more companies went under because they were unwilling to change with the times or and update there equipment. Also look no father than our own government and the taxes and restrictions they place and continue to on business's.

It's more than just creating jobs, period! They have to be good paying jobs for people to live on. I'm not saying the guy flipping burgers should get $20/hr. either. The Union is there to give the little guy a voice.
Don't forget, you all are members of a Union. You place your vote for representation. You may not always like the outcome but that's the way it goes.

Auto Transport Service
Back