• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else into bicycles?

My friend had a Swingbike back in the early 80s but I was the only one that could ride it. About 14-15 ears ago they decided to repop the Swingbike so I bought one. Apparently they are quite rare. You undo a knob under the seat and you can steer the rear wheel and front wheel. I can still ride it.

swgallery004.jpg

I found a full chrome GT 20" at a thrift store for $25 about 10 years ago, and bought it.

Unfortunately I couldn't really ride it.

The additional inch and 30 pounds I gained was just too much.

I also bought a cr/mo GT mountain bike, but it's not the same.

Completely different riding position and can't throw it around as well.

Maybe I need a 24"

My friend had a Swingbike back in the early 80s but I was the only one that could ride it. About 14-15 ears ago they decided to repop the Swingbike so I bought one. Apparently they are quite rare. You undo a knob under the seat and you can steer the rear wheel and front wheel. I can still ride it.

View attachment 555495

Haha, so you pop the knob and stear kinda with you hips while you ride? Awesome.

I found a full chrome GT 20" at a thrift store for $25 about 10 years ago, and bought it.

Unfortunately I couldn't really ride it.

The additional inch and 30 pounds I gained was just too much.

I also bought a cr/mo GT mountain bike, but it's not the same.

Completely different riding position and can't throw it around as well.

Maybe I need a 24"

Yeah I at 6’ and like 180 and creaky knees and back I struggle to ride my Mach 1 a bit. So I can imagine how it’d be for you. You must look pretty funny on one.

I much prefer my old steel Gary Fisher mountain bike around the property but I’ll still cruise around with the GT from time to time with the kids.

Just bought the wife an Electra Townie, now we all have bikes.:thumbsup: Really nicely built bike, aluminum frame seven speed with 24" wheels (the wife is short). She likes that vintage look:eek:.
20171225_100635.jpg

What about the old-school "Stringray" (?) 5-speed bikes with the tiny front tire, springer front end & shocks on the sissy bar? I think they came in red/blue/green. I see guys riding them at cars shows every once in a while.
View attachment 440791
Love those bikes. Big money now. Grand Rapids Ohio has a large Schwinn bike show every year. Pretty cool stuff there.

Haha, so you pop the knob and stear kinda with you hips while you ride? Awesome.
Yup, you kinda just move your a$$ and hips. You can have both tires side by side going straight or you can slither around like a snake. Easier said than done. Just don't expect to go very fast. Once you start losing control there is no coming back. :steering: Got quite a few scrapes back in the day.

Swing bike....I remember in the Donnie and Marie show....Donnie was riding one on stage...lol....Marie was / is hot!

Looks like she's gonna try riding around that doorframe....like orange HotWheels track.

The looks of me riding a 20 inch might involve a monkey and a football.

Yup, you kinda just move your a$$ and hips. You can have both tires side by side going straight or you can slither around like a snake. Easier said than done. Just don't expect to go very fast. Once you start losing control there is no coming back. :steering: Got quite a few scrapes back in the day.

I was thinking the same thing. Lose ontrol and you’re done. Forget about riding down the hill let alone up a hill.

Anyone else into bicycles around here? Here's my latest build: 2001 LeMond Zurich. I always liked these steel LeMonds so I decided to build one for daily riding.

Rides like a dream and is surprisingly light at just a tick over 17 lbs.

View attachment 440775

Anyone else?

View attachment 440769 View attachment 440770 View attachment 440771 View attachment 440772 View attachment 440773 View attachment 440774[/QUOTE

Love bikes used to be a road rider years ago .
Bmx'd with the kids but I love mountain bikes as well as raced them
Here are a few and parts still have to start my othe bike's rebuild .
Trek top fuel 8 now getting the overhaul - Dean Bam Bam next
Just about to get on a Rockymountain thin air on the trainer now .

IMG_0269.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back