• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are the valve covers different on a 1969 Charger? And why won't this Mancini Racing Distributor fit?

SteveSS

Local time
3:45 AM
Reaction score
I was ordering the Mancini HEI distributor and I came across this line.

This HEI Distributor will not clear Mopar Performance aluminum valve covers.

There are certain models where this HEI is too large and will not fit: 62 Plymouth, 67 GTX, 68 Coronet or 69 Charger.

I have a stock 383. How could it be different from a '68 or '70? This part was just under $350 complete. Is there another one that will work for similar money????

Here's the whole ad.

Big Block Mopar HEI Distributors

Thanks.

The old ice cream pail mod.
My only advice would be, no.

I don't know what the old ice cream pail mod is, and no what? Don't do the mod? Don't use an HEI? Don't use Mancini?

I would be more worried about it fitting under your hood. It says it is 14'' tall from manifold flange to top of cap.
I just measured my stock 383 distributor and it is 8'' tall so this HEI is 6'' taller than stock.

1661968311376.png

I've seen the cast aluminum mp covers ground for distributor clearance on quite a few engines. The casting is pretty thick, but mp covers are getting hard to find I hate grinding on them, but there's is a good chance you can make it fit.
We usually stay with the stock electronic distributors and use a MSD for the brains.

Last edited:
I don't know what the old ice cream pail mod is, and no what? Don't do the mod? Don't use an HEI? Don't use Mancini?
Chevy HEI distributor = upside down ice cream pail.
They're huge, look gross, and scream Chevy out of your engine compartment. No performance gain. If there was, wouldn't you be seeing them under the hoods of chryslers at race tracks across the nation? You won't.
Plus, l didn't realize they dad to jack them up to get them out of the way of the valvecover.
Just my opinion, of course.

Chevy HEI distributor = upside down ice cream pail.
They're huge, look gross, and scream Chevy out of your engine compartment. No performance gain. If there was, wouldn't you be seeing them under the hoods of chryslers at race tracks across the nation? You won't.
Plus, l didn't realize they dad to jack them up to get them out of the way of the valvecover.
Just my opinion, of course.
I did'nt realize they were so tall either till I saw the schematic. That cap would be level with the top of a stock air cleaner.

I see mancini has endless options that aren't hei.

If the points distributor is in decent install a igniter in the original and be done. They are a simple upgrade. I havent installed one in several years though. Seems most everything quality is a concern.

Last edited:
I ended up sending the dizzy to a rebuilder names Joe White. He's supposed to be the best.

I have one of those HEI RB dizzies I bought with the intention of using on the 440 in my 68 T/C wagon...installed it one day and stood back and looked at it and said,, "Well that looks hideous!" and removed it and put it back in the box. I installed a stock Mopar 70's MP dizzy and ECU and couldn't be happier.

Auto Transport Service
Back