• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Asking your opinion; best wheel package for a 1970 Super Bee

Hurricanes, my friend. Hurricanes...

Nadine.jpeg

As one can see. There are many very decent options. And of course, application really dictates desirable outcome. If all out performance for a Street/strip or Pro Street application? I would recommend Welds or Centerline brushed aluminum. If Street "bling" is needed because car color or body options lack some pop? It's hard to beat Cragars in my opinion. If application calls for more "In the day" look? I like Magnum rally. (Which is on my '69 GTX.) If total restoration to original factory production look is the application? Then colored steelies with redline tire is often used to capture. "Just off the assembly line." Look.

I guess my point? What is the application?

Dark colored wheels would look good on your car. Not Cragars. Magnums or Keystone Classics as well.

THey would go good with the black stripe and scoops.
I like the dark wheel idea too, I also like the torque thrusts.
Thanks for the input!

The car looks great. I wouldn’t mess with it. Can I ask what tire size and wheels size you’re running?
In the picture without the caps they're 275/60 15 and 235/60 15. There'll be 245's on the front for next season... and maybe new wheels too :)
There's 255 rears in the pic with the caps on.

As one can see. There are many very decent options. And of course, application really dictates desirable outcome. If all out performance for a Street/strip or Pro Street application? I would recommend Welds or Centerline brushed aluminum. If Street "bling" is needed because car color or body options lack some pop? It's hard to beat Cragars in my opinion. If application calls for more "In the day" look? I like Magnum rally. (Which is on my '69 GTX.) If total restoration to original factory production look is the application? Then colored steelies with redline tire is often used to capture. "Just off the assembly line." Look.

I guess my point? What is the Street use.
I'm just asking to see what you folks would go with... and I don't dislike any of the ideas.
Generally speaking, I don't race and I don't do car shows. Another set of wheels is just for fun.

I like the 15" Rallyes on Post # 15. 15" x 7" Magnums with chrome rim like Ford used on their '70 Boss Mustangs look nice on everything. As far as aftermarket, I like 15" TorqueThrusts. I don't like Cragars, because, back in the day in my area, these are what the GM guys ran on their cars.
I have Jegs SportTorque wheels on my '67 R/T. They are a knock-off of the TorqueThrust. I found the R/T hub stickers on E-bay, and they were the same size as the hub covers. I ran body colour cop wheels with '69 Red-Stripe dog dishes for a lot of years.
On my '64 Polara, I have an aftermarket 1- piece aluminum rim that resembles the '69 and up Magnum 500 with trim ring. 15" X 7" , and a lot lighter than the steel ones. I used to have chrome 14" x 6" Magnums on it.

RT drags.jpg

P2010011.JPG

P7030090.JPG

P7030085.JPG

P2070040.JPG

P7290109.JPG

Screenshot_20220314-172246_kindlephoto-39070909.png

Last edited:
This is my GTX. What's weird that truthfully I didn't notice when first purchased 5+ years ago? The fronts are 14" Rallys. The rears are 15". Back in the day I was told this was a "No No." But I ran this on an undisclosed stretch of Hightway in Montana. The stock 150 MPH buried. Stock tach showed just outside of 6k RPM before I shutdown due to hearing some valve float. (OK, more fear of Copper Cobra tire performance.) Doing the math of 3.54:1 rear gear. On a 28" 15" rear tire? The tach was pretty close. Assuming car was approaching 150 MPH.

Phone GPS had me at 142.8 MPH. So for 50+ year old speedo and tach? "Close enough old girl."

Driver sidel.jpg

This is my GTX. What's weird that truthfully I didn't notice when first purchased 5+ years ago? The fronts are 14" Rallys. The rears are 15". Back in the day I was told this was a "No No." But I ran this on an undisclosed stretch of Hightway in Montana. The stock 150 MPH buried. Stock tach showed just outside of 6k RPM before I shutdown due to hearing some valve float. (OK, more fear of Copper Cobra tire performance.) Doing the math of 3.54:1 rear gear. On a 28" 15" rear tire? The tach was pretty close. Assuming car was approaching 150 MPH.

Phone GPS had me at 142.8 MPH. So for 50+ year old speedo and tach? "Close enough old girl."

View attachment 1537107
And shortly after my high speed test. (Which this car was incredibly smooth and stable. My first GTX (alittle quicker thru the gears) would have been vibrating with complaints at 130 MPH.) This guy is a Highway Star! Give her 440 more build? 7k RPM with an OD gear? She just might hit 200.)

Just after test. She turned new. Christine was right shitters! Lol.

So rally rims? "Oh, Yeah!"

20180823_115241.jpg

Last edited:
Wheel style is obviously a very personal choice. For me, I want some sidewall on the tire, so I refer 15" rims. I went with the Road Wheel / Magnum 500 style. 275/60R15 on back and 245/60R15 on the front. All four rims are 15" x 8" with 4.5" backspacing.

20171028_165626.jpg

D09_DSC_0035.JPG

Your (2) current options look great IMO. First pic being my first choice.
I really like the look of the wheels in these (3) pics. Especially when contrasted with mine below.

Love these...
1696856056722.png

Love these...
1696856103244.png

Love these...
1696856122227.png

My Torq Thrusts...not as much
1696856319912.jpeg

Nor do I prefer look of my originals...
IMG_3858.jpeg

Wheel decision also dictates tire lettering decision in my opinion. I believe if you are running higher chrome wheels that "Pop" Then black letters out. If running a dark solid color wheel? Then white letters out.

I like contrast in a wheel package with it's tire.

Wheel style is obviously a very personal choice. For me, I want some sidewall on the tire, so I refer 15" rims. I went with the Road Wheel / Magnum 500 style. 275/60R15 on back and 245/60R15 on the front. All four rims are 15" x 8" with 4.5" backspacing.

View attachment 1537207

View attachment 1537208
Great looking car! That tire size is where I want to be. Cheers

Wheel decision also dictates tire lettering decision in my opinion. I believe if you are running higher chrome wheels that "Pop" Then black letters out. If running a dark solid color wheel? Then white letters out.

I like contrast in a wheel package with it's tire.
Agree 100%
I have a Chev (I know my bad). I had Cragar street pros w/letters out on it and it didn't look very good (too much bling). I changed it to natural ETs w/letters in and I think it looks a lot better now.

20230806_192302.jpg

Reasonable budget? I'd use gray Torque thrusts.
Money not a problem? I'd run gray 200S Americans (daisies) in either 15" or 17", leaning heavily toward the 17s. (17x7s front, and 17x8s rear, with appropriate sized Cooper Cobras..... likely $2k, or more.)
(Someone here, sorry, I forget who, has a pic of the daisies on a green 70 bee. Imo, they're perfect)

Reasonable budget? I'd use gray Torque thrusts.
Money not a problem? I'd run gray 200S Americans (daisies) in either 15" or 17", leaning heavily toward the 17s. (17x7s front, and 17x8s rear, with appropriate sized Cooper Cobras..... likely $2k, or more.)
(Someone here, sorry, I forget who, has a pic of the daisies on a green 70 bee. Imo, they're perfect)
5 spokes... I'll look them up too

Auto Transport Service
Back