• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad ignition switch?

74Runneer

Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score
I have a 74 roadrunner with a 5.9 mag in it and I've noticed that it sometimes takes a couple key turns back and forth to get the starter to fire. It's been getting worse and worse, and now it doesnt start. Starter is new about 5 months ago. So I'm thinking it's the ignition switch or wiring to the switch. When I put my remote starter on and leave the key in run, it fires right up every time. Does this mean it's the ignition switch?

Thanks

I'm wondering if it's the NSS, I might have bumped that while putting the engine and trans in.

Okay now I'm back to thinking it's the ignition switch or its wiring. When I measure the voltage at the bottom left terminal of the starter relay (yellow wire) when the key is in the crank position, it's only 9 volt.

Okay now I'm back to thinking it's the ignition switch or its wiring. When I measure the voltage at the bottom left terminal of the starter relay (yellow wire) when the key is in the crank position, it's only 9 volt.

Unplug the wire & test the voltage... The other side of the relay coil grounds through the NSS so when it's plugged in the voltage will be pulled down just like if you measure coil vltage when the points are closed... The fact it gets voltage points to it not being the switch, unplug the wire & feed that terminal 12v straight from the battery & see if it cranks.... I'm thinking the starter relay might be your problem...

I also pulled the yellow wire off and measured the voltage on the wire when cranking and it was 9 volts. When I jump 12v to that bottom left terminal with the yellow wire unplugged then it turns over. So that means the nss is working. I think its gotta be bad wiring/connections with corrosion that's causing high resistance (voltage drop).

I also pulled the yellow wire off and measured the voltage on the wire when cranking and it was 9 volts. When I jump 12v to that bottom left terminal with the yellow wire unplugged then it turns over. So that means the nss is working. I think its gotta be bad wiring/connections with corrosion that's causing high resistance (voltage drop).
Sounds like you've got it narrowed down pretty well..

Check all you connections for a secure fit. I had an issue albeit a tad different, where my car would run only with the key in run position and did the typical checks, took out key switch tested good, ballast tested fine come to find my harness connection at the BH was slightly tipped.

Auto Transport Service
Back