• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BB head question

Red63440

Local time
8:56 PM
Reaction score
Is it just the two outside exhaust manifold holes on each head that goes into the water jacket? I am thinking yes but want to make sure....

So you have to stud every one of them???

Wonder is I could insert 1/4" long sealed set screws to seal the water off and then use bolts?

Wonder is I could insert 1/4" long sealed set screws to seal the water off and then use bolts?
i don't think there is that much thread in the head for a set screw and bolt to get proper torque. measure it and see. basically you need 1 1/2 times the bolt diameter to properly torque the bolt. the original stuff was studded and thru the years i've found it works the best whether you have cast manifolds or headers.

Reminds me to thank myself for deciding on the aftermarket Aluminum heads purchase...Lol!
A good sealer goes a long way on those cast iron head exh bolts......

i seal my bolts(not studs)with copper coat in a can(not rtv).same stuff you coat steel shim head gaskets with.seems to work real good,rare leaks if ever.kinda tuff to install headers on the pass side with studs in place on bb b bodys.

i've always used studs with headers. i'm using studs with my 2" tti's with no problems. just plan for the tight spots. i use arp thread sealant on the studs. bolts going into water are a problem getting ready to happen.

For lewtot: I've read your posts for quite awhile and respect your solutions to problems. I'm curious as to why you think that studs with sealer will seal better than good quality bolts with sealer, assuming you aren't going to disturb them once they're installed? Is it from your experience or is there some theory that covers this?

For lewtot: I've read your posts for quite awhile and respect your solutions to problems. I'm curious as to why you think that studs with sealer will seal better than good quality bolts with sealer, assuming you aren't going to disturb them once they're installed? Is it from your experience or is there some theory that covers this?
bolts are a maintenance headache. they don't seal good and loosen up with thermal cycles. to change a gasket the anti-freeze has to be drained. i believe the factory had it right. there is a mechanical advantage to the fine thread for securing the manifold or header; its not as prone to loosen up. i guess its up to the individual what they prefer but studs have served me well thru many years. i just don't like maintenance issues.

I agree studs are the way to go. I use pipe dope on all exhaust threads and never had an issue. Even if using bolts you can use the pipe dope and have good results as long as things are seated properly but I do prefer studs. Also a NEW split lock washer is a good idea. I use the lock washers under all header bolts and never had a problem with backing off even after 90K miles. No header gaskets either. Just orange high temp RTV and dead flat flanges.

I agree studs are the way to go. I use pipe dope on all exhaust threads and never had an issue. Even if using bolts you can use the pipe dope and have good results as long as things are seated properly but I do prefer studs. Also a NEW split lock washer is a good idea. I use the lock washers under all header bolts and never had a problem with backing off even after 90K miles. No header gaskets either. Just orange high temp RTV and dead flat flanges.

Pipe dope?? i may have some of that laying around...:pimp_daddy:lol

seriously though Meep, are you talking about plumbers' pipe dope??

Pipe dope?? i may have some of that laying around...:pimp_daddy:lol

seriously though Meep, are you talking about plumbers' pipe dope??

Haaaahahaaaah!! Yeah, the plumbers type with teflon. I use Loctite PST.

bolts are a maintenance headache. they don't seal good and loosen up with thermal cycles. to change a gasket the anti-freeze has to be drained. i believe the factory had it right. there is a mechanical advantage to the fine thread for securing the manifold or header; its not as prone to loosen up. i guess its up to the individual what they prefer but studs have served me well thru many years. i just don't like maintenance issues.
You lost me. The exhaust bolt holes on my max wedge heads are 3/8 X18 NC threads, not fine. I accept that studs are better if you're removing the manifolds or headers now and then. I use 3/8 head header bolts with Permatex 3H aviation sealer and have never had a problem. If you think about it numerous engines use head bolts that enter water jackets with no problem. To each his own.............thanks for your input.

You lost me. The exhaust bolt holes on my max wedge heads are 3/8 X18 NC threads, not fine. I accept that studs are better if you're removing the manifolds or headers now and then. I use 3/8 head header bolts with Permatex 3H aviation sealer and have never had a problem. If you think about it numerous engines use head bolts that enter water jackets with no problem. To each his own.............thanks for your input.
Back up, Dave. Reread your post....You were taking about fine threads on the exterior of the studs. Mea Culpa.

Auto Transport Service
Back