• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best safe place to stop overnight in carolinas?

Varies by location, but I just spent 20 days on the road in motels/hotels with no problems. Go with your gut when pulling in. Park well lit etc. Make sure it is insured. I’d stay at FJ6AAR What’s another 40 miles for the peace of mind.

Last edited:
Florence RT 52 like going to Darlington, plenty of motels-hotels well lit and many food places. Cops look after that area. Right off the interstate look for the big Thunderbird sign. Dad lives about 25 miles west in Bishopville

DO NOT STAY AT THE THUNDERBIRD!! Crack motel. Was nice 40 years ago. There are several nice motels at that same exit. Springhill suites is one.

We will actually be driving it down, no trailer. It sounds like best thing to do is drive straight thru. It will be two of us so it maybe the best choice.

Straight thru is nuts. Fatigue and boredom.

Straight thru is nuts. Fatigue and boredom.
I have driven straight thru solo(not a classic car though). The plus is having a second driver this time. I can sleep while he drives.

Obi Wan Kenobi 06112019093456.jpg

Avoid Emporia, Va. Roanoke Rapids is decent and about 50 miles into N.C. The Fayetteville/Lumberton area on I-95 is decent, with plenty of nice Hotels and restaurants. If you wanted to go a little further, Dillon S.C. is okay, as is the outskirts of Florence. I would avoid Florence itself, as it's pretty ghetto. From Richmond Va. to Savannah Ga., anywhere inland off I-95 can be sketchy.

Avoid Emporia, Va. Roanoke Rapids is decent and about 50 miles into N.C. The Fayetteville/Lumberton area on I-95 is decent, with plenty of nice Hotels and restaurants. If you wanted to go a little further, Dillon S.C. is okay, as is the outskirts of Florence. I would avoid Florence itself, as it's pretty ghetto. From Richmond Va. to Savannah Ga., anywhere inland off I-95 can be sketchy.

I agree, but Dillon S.C. has too many "banjo players" roaming around the convenience store / gas station parking lots...looking for trouble. They get braver after sundown.

I agree, but Dillon S.C. has too many "banjo players" roaming around the convenience store / gas station parking lots...looking for trouble. They get braver after sundown.
The Flying J in Dillon is one of my regular stops, and I haven't experienced any problems there. I can't say the same about the Petro in Florence. Constant begging and shady characters walking around. I-95 corridor really is a cesspool from Maine to Florida. Pretty sad.

Thanks for all the ideas. The deed is now done. Drove straight thru 4am to midnight last night. Got 13mpg on the 440.

Thanks for all the ideas. The deed is now done. Drove straight thru 4am to midnight last night. Got 13mpg on the 440.
And how many looks? If a car can take it, driving straight thru is the best idea, the more eye candy the more attention it draws.

And how many looks? If a car can take it, driving straight thru is the best idea, the more eye candy the more attention it draws.
Glad you made it, now deal with Florida! lol

All that work to get to Florida. How long is your Visa?

Florida has a SnowBird Visa that requires all northerners to go home during the winter to allow natives the opportunity to drive in the left lane.

My brother was in the room next door. This is no lie I swear on my mothers name. He found big old chunk of meth in his room. I found the freaking hair weave and some pot shake all over the damn night stand. It took me a week of showers to feel clean again.. Knights Inn Greensboro SC nastiest place on the face of the earth. WHO MAKES A DAMN BED WITH A WEAVE STILL IN IT. Probably slept on bum spooge too.. ******* places like that have no place on this earth. Pardon my foul language but it still pisses me off.

:rofl: I damn near spit coffee all over my keyboard.
I got to ask , How was breakfast ?

:rofl: I damn near spit coffee all over my keyboard.
I got to ask , How was breakfast ?
That freaking crack den was so crappy their continental breakfast was actually on the hood of a 79 Lincoln. Moon pies and purple drank.

Auto Transport Service
Back