• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake light issue on a 71 Charger

Wookie316

Local time
8:07 PM
Reaction score
On my 71 Charger I am having an issue with my LH brake light? It works some times, but is not working most of the time. Signal and tail work fine, but brake does not work. Since the brake and signal are on the same wire, I know the wiring is good to the lights. I am guessing at the brake switch or somewhere not far down the line the power signal from the brakes splits to go to each brake light? Anyone have an idea wher the best place to start would be? Thx in advance for the help.

Check the power for the brake light coming out of the turn signal switch. Will be the brown wire for your '71. If the brake switch by the pedal was acting up, both brake lights would have a problem, being the single white wire from the brake light switch runs to the turn signal switch. That is where the signal is split. Good luck.

Ok. I have an Ididit column in the car but I believe the wiring setup is the same as factory. I will do some checking into it. Thx.

In the left side of the trunk, under the mat, just behind the wheelhouse, is a four-way connector. You can disconnect that and use a multi-tester to see if you're getting the proper signal at least that far. If you're getting the proper signal there and the bulb's not cooperating, it may be a corroded socket shorting itself. I've saved them by filling them with penetrating oil and working the spring-loaded socket base until everything frees up.

There was a break in one of my wires right at the connector. I wound up buying a four-way connector from Radio Shack, cutting my factor connector out, and my intermittent problem cleared up. Even with the trunk mat, heavy items in there over the years do wear on the wires.

if you have hazzards and turning on left side, but not brake, the column switch is the culprit... mostly sure just the cam

Ok thx. I am guessing the Ididit column is wired the same as factory? That is what is in my car now.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok thx. I am guessing the Ididit column is wired the same as factory? That is what is in my car now.

THIS IS FOR 70 AND LATES:

steering column has 3 inputs and 4 outputs ( beside the horn BLACK wire )

4 outputs are 4 corners.. greens are one side, browns are the other side... darkers are rears.

3 inputs are, one constant coming from hazzard Flasher ( pink ), one constant just when press brakes ( white ), and one energized just when in ACC or RUN ( Red ) which is from Turning flasher

in rest position, white is linked with darker corners ( green and brown )... these are brakes position

when setting one side, one of the darkers keeps linked ( lest say, green ) to keep on brakes, for a while the other side links to the Turning flasher to front and rear ( tan and brown ) ... setting the other side, of course gets backwards.

when setting hazzards, all inputs are cut and all 4 corners keeps linked to the hazzard flasher ( Pink wire )

Auto Transport Service
Back