• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bring "Burni" back to the road (65 Coronet 440)

Nordstahl

Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to introduce my "Burni"-project. Two years ago I bought Burni from Austria. There was a fire, started from the right rear wheel. I don't know exactly what happend, I think the brake was stuck and overheated. So the entire interieur burned down, only the front bench seat survived.
Currently is no interieur in the car, I will cut out the rear window, the seal from Dantes arrived a few weeks ago. Replacing the rear window will be very difficult I think.

Then I have to repair the right area above the wheel. The sheet metal is extremely twistet due to the heat. I also found a damage under bondo coming from an accident in the past.
Next step I will support the sheet metal from the backside with a solid bar to bring the metal in a smooth shape. I will not change the entire side panel....

So I need all the stuff like headliner, bows, carpet and so on....

IMG_0661.JPG IMG_0662.JPG

The Coronet started her live with a 318 engine. I dont know when, there was in US a engine swap to a 440 from 1972. In this configuration and in a very good condition a guy from Munich bought this car in 2011 from California and shipped to Germany, then sold to Austria, where the fire happend.

coronet tow 019.JPG Autos 030.jpg

Current status is that I supported the twisted and dentetd sidepanel with a solid bar from the inner side. Unfortunately it is still not really smooth. May be, I have to cut out the burned up material and weld in a new patch. Will see.....

IMG_2382.JPG

Tag! Sounds like a good project. Do you have any more images of how the car looks now?

Nice project you are starting with from a fellow 65 owner.

Welcome from California!

Tag! Sounds like a good project. Do you have any more images of how the car looks now?

Pic 1 and 2 few years after burning.
Pic 3 burned area cleaned and primer
Pic 4 found a damagend area behind passenger door, primer

Will post pics from current status this evening

31316405ec.jpg TCXM8480.JPG DSC_0524kl[1].jpg IMG_1873.JPG

Thank you. That is a nice project! Please keep us posted!

I`m still preparing Burni for the paint job.
I'm just considering to add a hood scoop. Does anyone have a good address where I can buy that ..?

Auto Transport Service
Back