• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carburetor Gripe...

rolling_Thunder

Local time
9:57 PM
Reaction score
Ok... I am in the market for a pair of carbs for an engine build... When the hell did carbs get so expensive???? All I need is a basic 750cfm mechanical secondary carb... ideally boost referenced.

Summit has the 750cfm 4150 series carbs for ~$600 each - not even accounting for boost reference.

The boost referenced model is $868.95(!)

My question is why wouldn't someone build their own carb for about 1/2 that price?
New Holley base plate = ~$100
HP Main Body = $125
Metering Blocks = $100
Bowls = $90

So still pricey but definitely cheaper than what you can buy off the shelf -- unless I'm missing something?

I said the same when looking up dual quad carb setup. It was close enough to decide to go to a FiTech dual quad setup.

Ok... I am in the market for a pair of carbs for an engine build... When the hell did carbs get so expensive???? All I need is a basic 750cfm mechanical secondary carb... ideally boost referenced.

Summit has the 750cfm 4150 series carbs for ~$600 each - not even accounting for boost reference.

The boost referenced model is $868.95(!)

My question is why wouldn't someone build their own carb for about 1/2 that price?
New Holley base plate = ~$100
HP Main Body = $125
Metering Blocks = $100
Bowls = $90

So still pricey but definitely cheaper than what you can buy off the shelf -- unless I'm missing something?
I believe you've answered your own question.

that's just one of the reasons I use Edelbrock 1405-06-07's . I find them for 75-100.00 a piece, throw a 25$ kit in them and run em' . no way would I ever pay stupid money for a carb , I don't care how shiny it is

Yes indeed, it doesn't help matters that Holley buys up every good competitor that pops up either! I bought a Quick fuel for $425 not to many years ago, that $425 for one custom tuned for my motor too!!! Best carburetor I've ever owned I might add. Called Five seconds flat about doing the same for dad's truck and he won't deal with them anymore, Holley bought them and turned the place upside down. Demon... Same thing, used to be great then Holley bought them. The list of great products bought by them (or whoever owns Holley) is staggering!!

Auto Transport Service
Back