• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Checkout this '73

1971RR

Local time
1:40 PM
Reaction score
My sister texted me these pics yesterday. They are asking $12,500. When looking at the pictures, I noticed the GTX hood and thought "maybe has a 440".
1973RR4.jpg

Then I saw the Roadrunner Stripes and Decals and thought "what is this, maybe a 400"

1973RR2.jpg

1973RR3.jpg

Then I saw the emblem on the driver side door in the interior pic and thought "Satellite?"

1973RR1.jpg

Then I read the for sale sign again. Has "318 Small Block". Its a nice Satellite/Roadrunner/GTX. I actually considered this for my daughter since it has the 318, fun but not scary fun right? I would not even begin to know what to offer. Its basically a nice 1973 Plymouth...

Oh and it kinda matches my 1971 SSP/RR too.

1971RR.jpg

My daughter has fun driving it.

1971RRDanielle.jpg

Looks like dough in lower pass quarter, otherwise looks prett ygood.

12 is too much for a 318 car with dough, even this nice.

It looks decent. 10 would be fair for a 318 car with a good body. It depends on how much filler is in it and what kind of shape the paint is in. It also has one mismatched tire. The interior can be cleaned up with some elbow grease and some dye. But if its a bondo bucket then I would walk.

Wow! You guys sure are generous. I hope you have cash if I'm ever selling a car! :) This is a Roadrunner clone with bogus GTX badges on the hood. Besides the door, the hood is a 1974 hood, not a 1973 hood, so it's obviously a transplant. It's a 318 and green inside and out, which has never been a popular color combo (only two colors you can paint a green interior car: green or white). I've seen several Satellites in this shape selling for $3,000-$3,500. Add $400 for the RR hood and I wouldn't go higher than $5,000 for this car... more like $4,500.

Gee, how do you offer someone $5K for something they are asking $12K for without getting punched? I agree they are asking way too much. They either 1.) Dont want to sell it or 2.) Are looking for a cluless buyer. I'm not a big fan of these after '72, but for what it is I figured my little girl would enjoy having a "hot rod"...

Good catch on that Satty emblem on the door also the grill is argent silver not black. Those two things scream cloned Satty. Check the vin I'll bet ya the first two letters are not RM could be Rp Sat seb Plus.
None the less the car is a looker and seems to be in good shape. And all that matters is that you have fun with it

The OP already knows it's a clone.

I never gave a value, just that 12K is too high.

You can have my 54,000 original mile 318 a/c Satellite for 12K if you want.

Serioulsy.

New master cyl, new trans lines. Dual exhaust, aftermarket sway bars with new bushings. Still has bias ply spare. Has factory jack, and trunk mat. One repaint in original EW1 white (yup, green int with perfect dash pad).

Starts every time. Idles at 650. a/c works and is 134, but currently leaks water from evap box (working on that now). Comes with build sheet.

I'll even let you keep the OEM tuff wheel, bucket seats and rallye mirrors I just put on.

Gee, how do you offer someone $5K for something they are asking $12K for without getting punched? I agree they are asking way too much. They either 1.) Dont want to sell it or 2.) Are looking for a cluless buyer. I'm not a big fan of these after '72, but for what it is I figured my little girl would enjoy having a "hot rod"...

I'm 6"6" and 350 lbs, so I guy has to have some serious balls to take a swing at me. :) But seriously, I would just call him out on the car. The owner is one of two things: a fraud or an idiot. If he's a fraud, he knows full well that car is a clone, what it's actually worth, and he's looking for an idiot. If he's an idiot, then he needs to have the facts pointed out to him as to what his car actually is. Either way, I would tell him:

A. This is a 73 Satellite with a 318. These are selling all day for right about $3,000 in that condition. It's not a GTX and it's not a Roadrunner.

B. The RR hood adds to the value, but it's the wrong one for the year. The 73 RR hood has vent holes, this one doesn't, which makes it a 74 hood, and takes away from the value.

C. Green on green is the least desired color combo there is, especially a light green. If the car was red, black, or even dark green the market price would be higher, or if the interior were tan, black, or white, but that ain't the case.

There are lots of nice driver 73 Roadrunners with 340s and up selling for less than $10,000, so tell him if he wants to hold out for $12k, good luck, He's going to waste a lot of time talking to dreamers and tire kickers. If he's got the time to waste, good for him, but you're looking to make a deal and you're not someone who's looking to be next in line in the Bigger Idiot scheme.

By the way, the 74 Roadrunner I'm working on now had a well built 360, a body that looks to be more solid than this one, but was missing most of the interior. Starting price was just under $6,000 and I ended up getting it for $2,000 and that was with an extra set of Rallye rims in the trunk. Don't be afraid to be honest with these people. If they're idiots, you're doing them a favor, and if they're frauds you don't want to deal with them anyway as that car will have lots of issues hidden under the new paint.

I never really did like the shackles on the rear springs either, even when I was a younger kid. There's probably even a set of traction bars available for a bit more. What do you think is a fair price YY1? I see by your signature that you would be familiar with this particular range of years. Oh, and how in the heck do you spot bondo in a picture! Thats a nice talent I wish I had.

What he said [Bruzilla] sounds just like my father did when he bought stuff.

Look at the quarter in the lower area it looks bumpy [like bread dough] plus if your familiar with these model cars you know the normal rust areas. I have to agree with Bruzilla and yy1 these cars are going all day long for those prices we have several on CL here in tampa that are in the 4500-6500 range and have been for quite awhile. I suggest that if you know what your daughter likes research the rust prone areas, options,values ect prior to going to look at anything than you can make an educated decision with out getting taken. Happy hunting.

I'm 6"6" and 350 lbs, so I guy has to have some serious balls to take a swing at me. :)

You've about a foot and 200lbs. on me. I think I could take ya!! ok maybe not...

But seriously, I would just call him out on the car. The owner is one of two things: a fraud or an idiot. If he's a fraud, he knows full well that car is a clone, what it's actually worth, and he's looking for an idiot. If he's an idiot, then he needs to have the facts pointed out to him as to what his car actually is. Either way, I would tell him:

A. This is a 73 Satellite with a 318. These are selling all day for right about $3,000 in that condition. It's not a GTX and it's not a Roadrunner.

B. The RR hood adds to the value, but it's the wrong one for the year. The 73 RR hood has vent holes, this one doesn't, which makes it a 74 hood, and takes away from the value.

C. Green on green is the least desired color combo there is, especially a light green. If the car was red, black, or even dark green the market price would be higher, or if the interior were tan, black, or white, but that ain't the case.

There are lots of nice driver 73 Roadrunners with 340s and up selling for less than $10,000, so tell him if he wants to hold out for $12k, good luck, He's going to waste a lot of time talking to dreamers and tire kickers. If he's got the time to waste, good for him, but you're looking to make a deal and you're not someone who's looking to be next in line in the Bigger Idiot scheme.

By the way, the 74 Roadrunner I'm working on now had a well built 360, a body that looks to be more solid than this one, but was missing most of the interior. Starting price was just under $6,000 and I ended up getting it for $2,000 and that was with an extra set of Rallye rims in the trunk. Don't be afraid to be honest with these people. If they're idiots, you're doing them a favor, and if they're frauds you don't want to deal with them anyway as that car will have lots of issues hidden under the new paint.

When I see stuff like that I just shake my head and wonder. I've dealt with know-it-alls before. Heck the 71-72 are just now finally getting a serious look from collectors and they can still be had for reasonable prices. The 73's and later need to wait their turn!! :grin: Judging from te picture, I think I know where the car is sitting. Its a bit out of the way, but I think I will do a drive by on my way home. my sister said the interior was nice at least.

Look at the shape of the quarter panel at the bottom corner of the wheell well.

It should be the same profile as the reat of the quarter all the way from the extreme rear, but it's not...it flares out. What else would cause that?

It doesn't even match the other side, although it's hard to see.

Just an intimate familiarity with the body lines of particular cars and an eye for detail.

The refection of light on the quarters where they have very subtle lines on a diagonal from the ends, and just behind the doors, down to the wheel arch look very straight.
It's very hard to get those to look right with dough. I'd say that part of the quarter is solid.

If you have 12K to spend...There's a real 72 340 Road Runner that's just as solid as your target car, and it's a B5 blue a/c car (bench seat), with a really nice factory interior.

Asking price on that was 13K, and I thought that was way too high.

I offered 8K, and might have gone 9.

There a car very similar to mine but red with black int listed for $6500,then 6K, and now $5800-

http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/3158549532.html

and no, they are not selling "all day" for $3500.

I was lucky to get mine, and recognized a good value and a motivated seller.

For the OP car, A 5-6K car it might me, but a 12K car it is certainly not.

...actually, I take back what I said about the diagonals.

Compare the two sides.

The driver's side is good.

The pass side is a bit wavy and not the same angle.
Kind of straight, then drops off.

...and there is an art to "the haggle"...

Well, it's kind of a buyer's market right now...

There's been quite a bit of work done right here...and here...

These have been painted and are hard to find chrome, like they should be...

I'm not crazy about those seat covers...those will need redone...

318, huh...

I think a good price on this car right now is about $5800.

Can't do that?

OK. Maybe I'll stop back by in a few weeks and see if you still have it.

I've got a few more to look at.

...and further...73/74 RR hoods are asking @$500, and selling @$300 right now.

It is definitely over priced.. Bruzilla, ya only got an inch on me, but stay away from me in fighting mode! lol.. Im a peace lovin man, besides im down to 200 pds. 1971RR You can get your daughter a nicer car then that one much cheaper, Thats a good looking one you have.. im afraid if someone takes a good look at this one there going to find a lot of bad work if the quarter panel don't do it for them, looks like someone tried to make some kind of flares, id like to see the other side..

that thing screams MUD MACHINE , i would hate to look under that paint. looks like a chevy guy did the body work . i see a hint of firebird in the rear wheel well

Heck the 71-72 are just now finally getting a serious look from collectors and they can still be had for reasonable prices.

Now is the time to buy 71-72s, the prices are starting to climb because all the repro parts and there are fewer E-bodies and early Bs to be had. I was fortunate to get my Challenger right before the prices skyrocketed. I couldn't even touch a parts car now for what I paid for mine in 07.

You could have mine for $10k. :grin: 318, original Arizona car, with one repaint in the original Frostmist since you like green and hey, it's in Texas. Heck, I'd even throw in a 73 rr hood.
d9c02bd4.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back