• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cooling system upgrade options

I've read this also, but in my real experience with my car using an aftermarket Autometer Sport Comp analog gauge, with 180F high flow t-stat, once engine is up to temp and under load, my coolant temp as it reads on the gauge stays at 175F-180F at cruise with air flow passing across the radiator and in stop and go traffic it might go up to 195F max.
I agree w you, just saying that 200-205 is no big deal and these engines can run at it no problem. My 496 stroker, 26" aluminum radiator, flowkooler w/p, 19" 11 blade direct drive fan w 180° t-stat tows my boat 100 miles in 102° weather at 60mph through 3-6% grades w a/c on at 178°. 80mph on interstate in 120° at 176° and in town w a/c on in stop n go in 120° at 196°.

Doug.

Ive got a big tube 26" radiator and a matching shroud ordered.
Should be here the next few days.

This radiator came highly recommend by a few people.

Ive got the pump and hsg off of it to make sure all is good and no core shift causing an issue and its good.

So radiator / shroud was my next logical step. And i plan to upgrade the thermostat to a hi flow 180 while its opened up

Doug.

Ive got a big tube 26" radiator and a matching shroud ordered.
Should be here the next few days.

This radiator came highly recommend by a few people.

Ive got the pump and hsg off of it to make sure all is good and no core shift causing an issue and its good.

So radiator / shroud was my next logical step. And i plan to upgrade the thermostat to a hi flow 180 while its opened up
Stick with a standard flow. You push it too fast it won't have time to pull the heat out of the coolant and the 180 stat doesn't mean it'll run at 180

Working on cooling system upgrade today.
Upgrading to an aftermkt alum 26inch plus adding a shroud and it ain't a drop in for sure.
Need to alter the aftermkt sway bar mount brackets and relocated the overflow from pass side to drivers side took some work.

20221022_133932.jpg

20221022_133945.jpg

stock setup works thats the route to go.

what shroud is that? I like it since it's deeper than a stock shroud (at least the one's for the 68-70 B bodies).
Working on cooling system upgrade today.
Upgrading to an aftermkt alum 26inch plus adding a shroud and it ain't a drop in for sure.
Need to alter the aftermkt sway bar mount brackets and relocated the overflow from pass side to drivers side took some work.

View attachment 1361988

View attachment 1361989

Update.
After several recommendations.
I went with one of these.
1966-1972 Mopar B & E Body Aluminum 26" Radiator Road Runner Challenger Cuda | eBay

Also added an nos 2998326 fan shroud and it bolted right up.
It has a 180 hiflow mr gasket thermostat in it now as well.
Fan is an aftermkt but pretty close to stock dimensions and construction.
Direct drive no clutch. Box stock pulley arrangement.

And so far....after a long idle time in the garage. And then a 5 mile test drive it doesnt get any hotter than the stat.

My only issue was the drain petcock cant be used as it hits the pass side strut rod. So i put a 1/4" npt plug in and called it good.

Trans cooler lines in the lower tank are also 1/4" npt to 5/16" flare fittings . So it runs the stock internal trans cooler with no issues.

The aftermkt overflow tank had to be relocated from pass side to drivers side. Due to the horns were in the way.
But it tucks in ahead of the battery tray like it was made for it.

Fingers crossed it took care of it.

I'm sad to see that you're having problems, and I'm sure Cr8crshr would be too! Man, he did his homework on this build. In all fairness and not to defend my brother, the system had never been flushed since the build was completed, don't know if this would be a contributing factor for cooling problems or not? The few times that he did take it for a drive, it did to seem to be on the warm side, we both just wrote it off as being a new build, and tight tolerances causing it. I'm glad to see you giving the car the love that it deserves and weeding out the bugs that a new build has, along with working on the other issues that needed to be addressed. Good Luck

I suppose I should admit to not keeping up with the car when I finished it up and started driving it. Just ran out of human gas and desire to Bill. But like any and all old cars purchased from another, one always has to refine what was done and then bring it to their own specs. I like the improvements you are making and the overflow tube looks great on the driver's side. I had toyed with going with a 26" with a fan shroud and clutch fan but opted for the easier route due to budget at the time. Having done so in the beginning, would have negated you having to make the changes you have. I knew I had done my homework on this build and went over and over everything I could think of and then some as my Brother said. He was my back up of course and always kept me on top of every little nut bolt and detail. Yet as you know, one can even fall a tad short when they have been thorough. You got a great ride now and the more time and effort you are putting into it, you are making it more so yours and I just at one time had one just like it. Thanks for sharing...Bill/cr8crshr:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

He was my back up of course and always kept me on top of every little nut bolt and detail. Thanks for sharing...Bill/cr8crshr:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

As well as getting a lot of busted knuckles!!! :poke: :poke:

its all good gents.

When I buy a car . I go in expecting some kind of issues. its just the nature of the beast

It never over heated persay. Just ran warmer than I was comfortable with . I much prefer my cars stay below the 200 degree mark . And being able to drive my cars year round is important to me . And yes, even on 110 degree days. My hemi car gets miles regardless of ambient temps .

Next is replace the heater core and do something with the steering. I dont like the way the car steers . it seems like something is too tight in the box maybe. My daughter drove it and said the same thing, and asked why it didnt drive like the others .
I think I have the cooling system and the driveline vibration sorted out. So some more consistant seat time is coming. Especially now that I sold the Coronet . ( its staying local btw )

I will say having 3.91s is,,,,,,,,,,FUN .

My Daughter and I are driving black beauty to Glendale tomorrow afternoon for a show up there . She wants to drive it up. We gave thoughts to take 2 cars. But the gas bill will be bad enough with just the one. So decided to nix that idea.

My co driver for the day , one in front of the Coronet .
Then odds are the younger one ( in front of the yellow beast ) will be co-driver for the drive home Saturday

the ladies and the girls1.jpg

20201020_131211.jpg

its all good gents.

When I buy a car . I go in expecting some kind of issues. its just the nature of the beast

and do something with the steering. I dont like the way the car steers . it seems like something is too tight in the box maybe.

I get it about issues and wanting to change things with a new toy, that's a given. I will say that when I drove it that I didn't like the steering either, Cr8 will concur as he didn't like it too. It's like there's a void at center and have to take up some slack before the car responds. Again, we never got that far into the issues that need addressing, to me it's either the pump or the box itself? I did try at one time to get the jam nut loose to try and adjust the box for cr8crshr, but there isn't really enough room to get some good smash on the nut to break it loose without bustin up your hand. Weather that's the problem or not, I can't tell, that balls in your court now! :poke: If I remember right the pump is an AMC unit, don't know if that has something to do with it or not? Hopefully Cr8crshr's following this and your repairs/upgrades and we'll help in any way possible to inform you of what and how we did things on the build.

I get it about issues and wanting to change things with a new toy, that's a given. I will say that when I drove it that I didn't like the steering either, Cr8 will concur as he didn't like it too. It's like there's a void at center and have to take up some slack before the car responds. Again, we never got that far into the issues that need addressing, to me it's either the pump or the box itself? I did try at one time to get the jam nut loose to try and adjust the box for cr8crshr, but there isn't really enough room to get some good smash on the nut to break it loose without bustin up your hand. Weather that's the problem or not, I can't tell, that balls in your court now! :poke: If I remember right the pump is an AMC unit, don't know if that has something to do with it or not? Hopefully Cr8crshr's following this and your repairs/upgrades and we'll help in any way possible to inform you of what and how we did things on the build.
Thanks Bro...I am!!! I also wasn't really happy with the way the steering is and reacts. It is the original one just cleaned exterior and painted. It does have new steering linkage and a new coupler so they are relatively still new. I wanted to swap out the power steering pump which after research turned out to be an AMC unit on it to a Saginaw unit as MA's Ehrenburg has suggested to do along with upgrading the steering box with a Borgeson Steering Unit which is a very nice upgrade for better steering response...Link Here: Mopar Cars 1962-82. Bill by the way...I have all the steering pump stuff still if you want them to help cut some costs. I forgot to toss them into the trunk when you picked up the car. Let me know and I will get it off to you as all my parts as agreed were to also go with the deal...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Thanks Bro...I am!!! I also wasn't really happy with the way the steering is and reacts. It is the original one just cleaned exterior and painted. It does have new steering linkage and a new coupler so they are relatively still new. I wanted to swap out the power steering pump which after research turned out to be an AMC unit on it to a Saginaw unit as MA's Ehrenburg has suggested to do along with upgrading the steering box with a Borgeson Steering Unit which is a very nice upgrade for better steering response...Link Here: Mopar Cars 1962-82. Bill by the way...I have all the steering pump stuff still if you want them to help cut some costs. I forgot to toss them into the trunk when you picked up the car. Let me know and I will get it off to you as all my parts as agreed were to also go with the deal...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:
hold that thought until I will get back to it maybe next week or 2 .

Bill by the way...I have all the steering pump stuff still if you want them to help cut some costs. I forgot to toss them into the trunk when you picked up the car. Let me know and I will get it off to you as all my parts as agreed were to also go with the deal...cr8crshr/Bill:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:
Maybe dig through more of your parts stash and give him some other goodies you might've missed last time. :poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:

Auto Transport Service
Back