• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cooling systems

Gary Lowry

Local time
8:30 AM
Reaction score
Looks like the 22" radiator that came in my 273 belvedere is not going to be enough for the 30 over 440 that's in there now. Here in SE Texas its already 80 on a regular day.
Buying the car last Oct. I really didn't have too much chance to play around out on the road.
I see all kinds of advertisements for 3 & 4 row radiators. One that has my attention right now is from ECP. It is two rows of 1" aluminum. What has Mothers family got to offer in experience for my cooling inquiries. I'm also thinking about a dual electric fan setup.
And finally what are you thoughts and or experiences with fan shroud flappers, installed to keep hot air flowing in otherwise possible trapped areas.
Can't wait for y'all responses.
Gary

I used a $200 Afco 3 pass aluminum radiator with a single 16 inch Spal puller fan.My blown HEMI does not go over 190 on a 90* day.No shroud either. 1st I tried dual fans,but they would not fit.......

http://www.restorationradiators.com/
These guys assured me they could make my 22" radiator in my 65 Coronet cool my 572 Hemi no problem. Will not know until next year when my car is complete but they seemed like stand up guys to me. Not the cheapest around but I have heard nothing but good things about them. Good luck:thumbsup:

Hay Gary you could have your radiator re cored with a hi efficiency core (more fins per square inch). you really need a proper shroud with the correct fan and fan spacing . you cant beat the prices of theses new aluminum rad's though.

Afco aluminum radiator$200
Spal 16 inch pusher $135
Unless it's hot out I don't need the fan,,,,,,,,

2.20.18 027.jpg

These guys assured me they could make my 22" radiator in my 65 Coronet cool my 572 Hemi no problem. Will not know until next year when my car is complete but they seemed like stand up guys to me. Not the cheapest around but I have heard nothing but good things about them. Good luck:thumbsup:
Thanks Aldal

Hay Gary you could have your radiator re cored with a hi efficiency core (more fins per square inch). you really need a proper shroud with the correct fan and fan spacing . you cant beat the prices of theses new aluminum rad's though.
Thank you Sir

There is a member here, @Billccm , who is having issues with his brand new ECP radiator leaking and not getting support from the company so I would stay away. Plenty of other options in the 26" with two rows. Get a shroud and a properly fit pump mounted fan and it shoukd be fine. I am running an ebay aluminum radiator, 2 row 26" on my 440 over .040" in Yuma and it does fine with a shroud and thermal fan.

Al, that blower is a giant heat sink that helps to keep that hemi cooler...I’ve experienced the same on other blown motors with iffy cooling capacity.
Manuel temp sensor is intake air temp.Not even 7 lbs of boost at that rpm.Could be leaned out as well! But i must say the Spal fan blows so much air through the rad it will blow a match out on the water pump!! Moves alotta air.
And the black grill is history,didn't like it!

10.22.17 105.jpg 10.22.17 101.jpg 1.26.18 007.jpg 2.20.18 026.jpg 2.20.18 027.jpg

I have a 22” US Radiator four row High Efficient radiator. My temperature gauge has not gone up over 185, but remember these cars like to run a little warm.

There is a member here, @Billccm , who is having issues with his brand new ECP radiator leaking and not getting support from the company so I would stay away. Plenty of other options in the 26" with two rows. Get a shroud and a properly fit pump mounted fan and it shoukd be fine. I am running an ebay aluminum radiator, 2 row 26" on my 440 over .040" in Yuma and it does fine with a shroud and thermal fan.
Thank you Sir

I’ve got a 22” aluminum radiator in my ‘65 Coronet with a .030” over 440 and it keeps it cool. Running a 7 blade fan about 3/4” from the core with no shroud - the only time it gets warm is idling in traffic at a stand still for several minutes. The car had an electric pusher fan on the stock radiator that I may put back on in case it happens again, but it didn’t get over 205 before we started moving and then it cooled right down to 180, which is about where it stays. I am running a high volume pump and 180 degree thermostat in it as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back