• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Creating my future work place

northerndave

Local time
10:03 AM
Reaction score
Shortened this up.

Looking for input on shop tools/equipment such as bead roller, metal brake, shrinker/stretcher for metal work.

Auto hoist, thinking a 2 post.

Shop cabinets, shelving/racking.

So far looking at baileigh and mittler bros for metal shaping equip and bendpak for hoist. So many models though, makes it difficult.

Kind of looking at gladiator garageworks for cabinets, don't know, so many out there and haven't been able to look at any in person yet.

Any additional brands I'm overlooking or input experience with some of these items much appreciated.

Last edited:
I have installed Gladiator garageworks cabinets in my garage and I really like them, solid, doors shut nice and if you watch Sears they have them on sale sometimes. Also I purchased heavy duty shelves from Menards that you cut your boards to length and install in the frame, they are really tough and come in different widths.

Did you decide to take the hobby thing to the next level Dave?

I have installed Gladiator garageworks cabinets in my garage and I really like them, solid, doors shut nice and if you watch Sears they have them on sale sometimes. Also I purchased heavy duty shelves from Menards that you cut your boards to length and install in the frame, they are really tough and come in different widths.

Thanks very much, glad to hear the gladiator cabinets work well for you, seem to be a good value.

Did you decide to take the hobby thing to the next level Dave?

Yes I believe so.

Raking in the quotes right now, I'm basically down to some shop items such as described above. The hoist is kind of a big decision. I've used several before, I will have 14' ceiling, but not over 14, so the 168" height won't work for me (I don't think)

I am thinking I have to stick with the 12' tall unit, but not sure what other considerations. I'd like to have a good width between posts to drive through them with plenty of clearance.

Might watch Craigslist for some tools. Try to stay away from crap from China. I bought a shear that's China made and it took me forever to get it to cut half way decent......like I said, it cuts 'half' way decent.

Northern Dave - One company that I've seen at the car shows is Woodward Fab - they carry a full line of metal working tools, bead rollers, shears, 3-1 units, English wheels, shrinker / stretchers . . . tons of stuff on their website . . .

Just a thought . . .

( not that Bailiegh doesn't look like great stuff )

Like on that blast booth thread Dave, I use TP Tools quite a bit.

Also:

http://www.tooltopia.com/ Good prices! Lotta stuff.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/ Got a free DeviLbiss gun from them, no idea why.....obviously not complaining. Decent prices as well.

http://store.snapon.com/ Name speaks for itself. IMO, best hand tools out there.

Also use Eastwood every once in a while. Shipping is pricey as well as the prices, but I do like their 2K Satin Chassis Black and the Rust encapsulator works well (proven on my old rusty Chilton snowmobile trailer, that's always covered in salt).

Thanks guys, I hear you on the china stuff, I avoid if at all possible. Thanks for the tip on woodward and Will, I am going to check out your links as well. I grew up with snap on wrenches in my hands, I agree they are the best. I've also worked quite a lot with global finishing and the whole tcpglobal group quite a lot as they merged and conglomerated over the years. And, no surprise that I agree again with your assessment of the eastwood rust encapsulator. I've used it as well and thought very highly of it.

God tip on craigslist cranky, I was thinking about that especially for a brake. I'd rather have an 80 yr old USA made brake that can take 14-16 ga then a chi-com bench top thinger made out of angle iron and piano hinge.

:headbang:

No sweat Dave. Gonna be pretty cool hearing about a Classic Resto shop opening up in Lake of the Woods, and you're the cat running it. I'm guessing your family will make up a good part of your staff?

Yes, I have a 16, soon to be 17 yr old boy that has been my shadow for his whole life. We communicate without talking, he anticipates my reach for a wrench or screwdriver before I know I'm going to reach for it, he's on top of things.

He will be the first employee, I have a littler guy that will want to help out but he's too little yet at 10 yrs. But he'll be growing up around it and will likely end up helping his dad and brother some day.

I also have a daughter, she's 20. She'd be good for things like bruning the building down, wrecking my stuff, pissing off customers, charging all kinds of personal stuff to my business accounts, bankrupting me, possibly dropping a car on me off the hoist, paralyzing but not quite killing me.... stuff like that.

Yeah... maybe she can work for someone else...

lol.

Hey prop, I really like the blast cabinets and one of the bead rollers from TP tools. Both made in USA.

I also looked at the woodward site, wow, lots of tools and equipment there, lots!

She'd be good for things like bruning the building down, wrecking my stuff, pissing off customers, charging all kinds of personal stuff to my business accounts, bankrupting me, possibly dropping a car on me off the hoist, paralyzing but not quite killing me.... stuff like that.

Bawhahahaaa! Better put her in charge of the water jug.

I'd figured you'd have the fam on board Dave. Was always nice seeing them pitch in on your bird. Lot of experience already living under the same roof as you.

Yes, I have a 16, soon to be 17 yr old boy that has been my shadow for his whole life. We communicate without talking, he anticipates my reach for a wrench or screwdriver before I know I'm going to reach for it, he's on top of things.

He will be the first employee, I have a littler guy that will want to help out but he's too little yet at 10 yrs. But he'll be growing up around it and will likely end up helping his dad and brother some day.

I also have a daughter, she's 20. She'd be good for things like bruning the building down, wrecking my stuff, pissing off customers, charging all kinds of personal stuff to my business accounts, bankrupting me, possibly dropping a car on me off the hoist, paralyzing but not quite killing me.... stuff like that.

Yeah... maybe she can work for someone else...

lol.

Good luck with your new business endeavor... I hope you do great

Auto Transport Service
Back